• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged No Planer calls for scientific study / Missiles of 9/11

I never said the wing would be going 550mph. I said if it was going fast enough. I never meant only the spar. (Edit post, I meant to add 'most' - see edit)

The main spar makes up most the strength in the wing, it is only logical it would do most the damage, but the wing as a whole would still deal the total damage.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

I thought we were talking about 9/11 and the jet cuting through steel at 550 MPH, and since the video also mentioned such speeds I figured you being a pilot and stuff, would see the correlation.

So back to the car-cutting wing. Can you explain how fast is "fast enough" if "fast-enough" isn't 550 MPH? 'Cause that's the speed I'm looking for for the test. It'll be great. What's that speed?
 
Okay, it was a cheap shot, granted.

I fail to understand a lot of things which is the whole point of all this. One of the things I don't understand is how a seasoned pilot can seriously believe a jet wing could cut a car in half at any speed, engine block and all. So now that I've met one, I'm looking for an explanation.

I never said seasoned. I am qualified. Not seasoned. You cannot understand because you lack knowledge of basic physics. Like the ping pong ball, an object will go through another object if it has the speed. That is a basic principle of physics. Maybe you should have acquired this knowledge before you decided you run with your own home made hypothesis.

You were talking about the birds only tearing through the area between these "spars". Are they like supports or something? Can you give me a diagram?

Spars run the length of the wings. They are like I beams at the front and rear (and in some airliners case, center).

http://www.nomenclaturo.com/wp-content/uploads/Airbus-wing-structure-and-Terminology.gif


http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/files/library/787iassemble.jpg

Edited by LashL: 
Changed hotlinks to regular links. Please see Rule 5.



I find it incredible you have sat here for 39 pages arguing that an airline wing could not cut through a steel column, and the entire time you never even knew how a wing was constructed. Good God.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I never said seasoned. I am qualified. Not seasoned. You cannot understand because you lack knowledge of basic physics. Like the ping pong ball, an object will go through another object if it has the speed. That is a basic principle of physics. Maybe you should have acquired this knowledge before you decided you run with your own home made hypothesis.



Spars run the length of the wings. They are like I beams at the front and rear (and in some airliners case, center).

[qimg]http://www.nomenclaturo.com/wp-content/uploads/Airbus-wing-structure-and-Terminology.gif[/qimg]

[qimg]http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/files/library/787iassemble.jpg[/qimg]

Okay, so where are they braced against the fuselage like the plow:

Plow1-PM.jpg


And are these spars made of thick steel with a sharp edge? I can't tell from the picture. How thick are the spars? Is the material aluminum?
 
No Planer calls for scientific study

Pellicans? Flamingos?

Dang. Too bad it wasn't a 100,000 ton mountain of steel.

[qimg]http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/2012.06.05_birdstrike.png[/qimg]

Radome. They're made of plastic or Fiberglas.
 
I never said seasoned. I am qualified. Not seasoned. You cannot understand because you lack knowledge of basic physics. Like the ping pong ball, an object will go through another object if it has the speed. That is a basic principle of physics. Maybe you should have acquired this knowledge before you decided you run with your own home made hypothesis.



Spars run the length of the wings. They are like I beams at the front and rear (and in some airliners case, center).

[qimg]http://www.nomenclaturo.com/wp-content/uploads/Airbus-wing-structure-and-Terminology.gif[/qimg]

[qimg]http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/files/library/787iassemble.jpg[/qimg]

I find it incredible you have sat here for 39 pages arguing that an airline wing could not cut through a steel column, and the entire time you never even knew how a wing was constructed. Good God.


Cripes, he couldn't figure out the water jet cutting steel, you expect him to understand more complex structure? :rolleyes:
 
Pellicans? Flamingos?

Dang. Too bad it wasn't a 100,000 ton mountain of steel.

http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/2012.06.05_birdstrike.png

LOL, you show a bird hit plastic. The nose cone is plastic.

And you show a bird hitting the leading edge of the wing. And yes, an object hitting something fast can break it, even flesh, even water. You failed to make a point, save expose your ignorance of physics. Review physics.

But you are defeated by plastic again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9zBGgpzl0I&feature=player_embedded

You have no idea what physics is.
 
Okay, so where are they braced against the fuselage like the plow:

[qimg]http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Plow1-PM.jpg[/qimg]

And are these spars made of thick steel with a sharp edge? I can't tell from the picture. How thick are the spars? Is the material aluminum?

For the umpteen millionth time......sharp edge, thickness, material, only come into play AFTER basic physics of mass and and velocity.

But you skipped that course at Google U.
 
I never said seasoned. I am qualified. Not seasoned. You cannot understand because you lack knowledge of basic physics. Like the ping pong ball, an object will go through another object if it has the speed. That is a basic principle of physics. Maybe you should have acquired this knowledge before you decided you run with your own home made hypothesis.



Spars run the length of the wings. They are like I beams at the front and rear (and in some airliners case, center).

[qimg]http://www.nomenclaturo.com/wp-content/uploads/Airbus-wing-structure-and-Terminology.gif[/qimg]

[qimg]http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/files/library/787iassemble.jpg[/qimg]

I find it incredible you have sat here for 39 pages arguing that an airline wing could not cut through a steel column, and the entire time you never even knew how a wing was constructed. Good God.

I'm still confused about the spar -

spar.png
 
For the umpteen millionth time......sharp edge, thickness, material, only come into play AFTER basic physics of mass and and velocity.

But you skipped that course at Google U.

Is that how the math works?

But how would it work in real life? Isn't that what basic physics is all about?

So...

Are you calculating the wing as a solid mass or not?
 
Math beats Fantasy

Is that how the math works?

But how would it work in real life? Isn't that what basic physics is all about?

So...

Are you calculating the wing as a solid mass or not?

You already were shown how, but you deny physics exists, like you assume in your fake fantasy the passengers on 11, 175, don't exist. Why?
You mistake me for someone who cares ...
MIT, shows the math, you failed to refute.
http://web.mit.edu/civenv/wtc/PDFfiles/Chapter IV Aircraft Impact.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9zBGgpzl0I&feature=player_embedded Ping Pong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cddIgb1nGJ8 Purdue flight sim
 
Last edited:
I'm still confused about the spar -

[qimg]http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/spar.png[/qimg]

Mass and Velocity.

Ping Pong ball cutting through a bat.
Water cutting steel.
Bullet firing through the armored plate of a tank.
Bunker Buster cutting through 10 feet of rock and concrete.

Go learn physics.
 
Last edited:
No Planer calls for scientific study

Okay, so where are they braced against the fuselage like the plow:

[qimg]http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Plow1-PM.jpg[/qimg]

And are these spars made of thick steel with a sharp edge? I can't tell from the picture. How thick are the spars? Is the material aluminum?
Depends on the wing. In the Diamond DA20/40/42 series, for example, it's a box girder made of carbon fiber laminate.

On the Boeing 757, it's also a box girder but made up of aluminum alloys. I tried getting some specs for you, but not much success. In the airplane manufacturing business, the main trade secrets are in how the wing is built, so I'm not surprised that I couldn't find the data. Yes the FAA has that data as part of the type certificate, but they also protect proprietary data.

But no matter what, remember that the wing is structurally the strongest part of any fixed wing aircraft, and that the main spar is the backbone of the wing.

Also, in a very real sense, the fuselage is riding on the wing (singular - the spar effectively carries through the wing box under the fuselage). In effect, the fuselage was along for the ride.
 
Mass and Velocity.

Ping Pong ball cutting a bat.
Water cutting steel.
Bullet firing through the armored plate of a tank.
Bunker Bust cutting through 10 feet of rock and concrete.

Go learn physics.

You said you are a pilot.
You claim a jet wing can cut a car in half if it goes fast enough.
I ask how this is possible if a bird can bring down a jet.
You point to a spar, that it's like an "I Beam" running up both sides of the wing.
I ask how the spar would cut in half the columns, not to mention the car if it was striking as it is shown in your diagram.

I guess I don't understand what you're getting at here - how would the spar cut a car in half, and can you tell me what material and how thick?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom