• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

LDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I offer you the Amish. They mold their entire life around their religion. So, in a real sense, they give virtually 100% to their religion.

Now that I've given you an example, I have a question for you: So what?
 
. . . Please identify the specific anachronisms in the BoM which you claim have been proven by mormon archaeology actually to exist. At the very least, please post a link to the thread where you have already identified the specific anachronisms in pre-Colombian America that have been demonstrated by mormon archaeology actually to exist, if you have already done so.

You make your request as if you are actually interested in hearing my answers, which I find doubtful at best. Why? Because I believe you will reject out-of-hand any/all information provided by LDS scholars. But, OK, I'll play along. Enter "Book of Mormon/Anachronisms" into your search engine, which will take you to the FAIR site. Among the anachronisms discussed are snow, calendar, olive culture, legal codes and concepts, geography, chariots, coins, gunpowder, windows, cement, metal plates, and swords. You will also see two charts. One indicates the number of anachronisms the BoM was believed to contain in Joseph Smith's day; the other shows the number it actually contained in 2005. I suspect that the number has been further reduced in the years since 2005.

The unfortunate fact, based on critics' responses, is that they do not want to accept any information that might serve to validate the authenticity of the
BoM. Yes, that's my opinion--one that is well documented on this thread.
 
It's painfully obvious that for you Christianity doesn't have anything to do with anything. Be that as it may, my challenge was to identify a CHRISTIAN church whose members pay as much in tithing as do Latter-day Saints. You responded by citing some figures Scientologists pay to their "church." Do you actually believe that the Church of Scientology is a Christian religion? Whoa!

"Special pleading"? Hilarious.
You claim that the level of tithing is indicative of something. What does Christianity have to do with your proposition? To assert that your proposition only applies to Christianity is the very definition of special pleading.
 
I offer you the Amish. They mold their entire life around their religion. So, in a real sense, they give virtually 100% to their religion.

The Amish are a good example of how other sacrifices add up to more than just monetary ones.

As far as monetary only, if we're not limited to the size of the religion, I'd offer the Shakers (officially the "United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing"), whom I mentioned earlier. When someone joins, they give everything to the church and own no personal property or earn personal income at all, and live communally. That's not only virtually 100%, that is 100%.

Now that I've given you an example, I have a question for you: So what?

What he said.
 
As evidenced in this thread, it would seem that donation level is linked with gullibility.

In Post 3093, Pup stated: "I don't see why that's any less a sign [Shakers letting their church die out] that they're the one true religion than the LDS church, which has adapted itself to be popular" [underlining added].

In response, I asked Pup if he thought paying 10% of one's increase in tithing made the Church "popular." He made the allegation; I have said nothing about the notion that paying tithing correlates with one's faithfulness or piety.

Do try to keep the record straight.
 
You claim that the level of tithing is indicative of something. What does Christianity have to do with your proposition? To assert that your proposition only applies to Christianity is the very definition of special pleading.

To get up to speed, kindly read Post 3186.
 
You make your request as if you are actually interested in hearing my answers, which I find doubtful at best. Why? Because I believe you will reject out-of-hand any/all information provided by LDS scholars. But, OK, I'll play along. Enter "Book of Mormon/Anachronisms" into your search engine, which will take you to the FAIR site. Among the anachronisms discussed are snow, calendar, olive culture, legal codes and concepts, geography, chariots, coins, gunpowder, windows, cement, metal plates, and swords. You will also see two charts. One indicates the number of anachronisms the BoM was believed to contain in Joseph Smith's day; the other shows the number it actually contained in 2005. I suspect that the number has been further reduced in the years since 2005.

The unfortunate fact, based on critics' responses, is that they do not want to accept any information that might serve to validate the authenticity of the
BoM. Yes, that's my opinion--one that is well documented on this thread.
The first chart has stuff confirmed like "large cities" Stone statues" Wow...

It also claims Hebrew Language. How could that be confirmed?

The second chart is an even bigger joke.
http://en.fairmormon.org/File:BoM_Archaeology_2005.PNG

Reading their sewage makes me thow up in my mouth a little.
 
Last edited:
To get up to speed, kindly read Post 3186.
Let me go back and look. I'm human and I make mistakes.

The Shakers have chosen to let their religion die out, if that's its fate, rather than to change it to fit the world.

I don't see why that's any less a sign that they're the one true religion than the LDS church, which has adapted itself to be popular. I don't think either is actually getting instructions from God, of course, but I don't see that being adaptable is necessarily a sign of a good religion, or even required of a religion.

Do you think (to cite just one example), it's "popular" to require members to pay 10% of their annual increase to the Church?
It looks like you are correct as far as that is concerned. I will apologize. I'm sorry.

When I was a missionary we did not advertise the tithing part. Milk before meat.
 
Last edited:
You make your request as if you are actually interested in hearing my answers, which I find doubtful at best.

Gee. Is this an argument ad hom, or just a bit of well-poisoning?

Why? Because I believe you will reject out-of-hand any/all information provided by LDS scholars.

Ah. Well-poisoning it is.

But, OK, I'll play along. Enter "Book of Mormon/Anachronisms" into your search engine, which will take you to the FAIR site.

If I may interrrupt, here--you are quick to label anything that disagrees in any particular with your claims as "anti-mormon"...and yet instead of providing me with the citations upon which you are basing your claims, you are sending me to the heart of a dedicated, pro-mormon site? Is not FAIR a wholly-owned LDS house organ? If you can insist upon "neutral sources", why may not I, without being accused of "rejecting information out of hand"?

Among the anachronisms discussed are snow, calendar, olive culture, legal codes and concepts, geography, chariots, coins, gunpowder, windows, cement, metal plates, and swords. You will also see two charts. One indicates the number of anachronisms the BoM was believed to contain in Joseph Smith's day; the other shows the number it actually contained in 2005. I suspect that the number has been further reduced in the years since 2005.

As someone once said, in this thread, do you have a beleivable source for these claims?

The unfortunate fact, based on critics' responses, is that they do not want to accept any information that might serve to validate the authenticity of the
BoM. Yes, that's my opinion--one that is well documented on this thread.

Which is why it is disappointing that your answer to my polite and repeated request for you to "...identify the specific anachronisms in the BoM which you claim have been proven by mormon archaeology actually to exist...." or, "...at the very least, please post a link to the thread where you have already identified the specific anachronisms in pre-Colombian America that have been demonstrated by mormon archaeology actually to exist, if you have already done so..." is for you to tell me to go do my own research.

I will continue to pursue the issue on my own--but please do not pretend that you are here to answer questions.
 
Enter "Book of Mormon/Anachronisms" into your search engine, which will take you to the FAIR site.

On this chart: http://en.fairmormon.org/File:BoM_Archaeology_2005.PNG

I notice that barley and steel swords are confirmed.

When I tried to find more about steel by clicking links on that page, I wound up here:
http://en.fairmormon.org/Book_of_Mormon/Anachronisms/Metals

I can't see that it confirms any actual discovery of steel in the pre-Columbian Americas.

For example, it says:

Any Mesoamerican production likely depended upon the first method, which requires lower temperatures and less sophistication. Laban's "steel sword" is not anachronistic; Middle Eastern smiths were making steel by the tenth century B.C

So it seems to be saying that steel was produced in the middle east, and mentions "excavations in present-day Cyprus, Greece, Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Iran, Israel, and Jordan," but does not give evidence of steel in the Americas in the period.

A further click to here produces similar arguments: it might not actually be steel, it might be weapons brought from the middle east, etc.

But there does not seem to be any archaelogical confirmation of steel in the Americas.

I would expect "confirmed" to mean a discovery of steel artifacts in the Americas, rather than an explanation of steel-making in the Middle East and various suggestions for what "steel" might mean.

I'd be willing to grant that if there were only a few steel items in the Americas at that time, the chance of actually finding any still surviving might be zero, so it's possible that there could have been steel while at the same time we could never be able to confirm that there was steel. But in that case, the status would simply remain unconfirmed forever.

What does "confirmed" actually mean, on that chart?

On the question of barley...

After a few clicks I got to a footnote here: http://en.fairmormon.org/Book_of_Mormon/Anachronisms/Plants#endnote_sorensmith

Which goes to this article:
http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/books/?bookid=71&chapid=802

The December 1983 issue of the popular magazine Science 83 reported the discovery in Phoenix, Arizona, by professional archaeologists of what they supposed to be pre-Columbian domesticated barley.

Can anyone who knows more about archaelogy and pre-Columbian history comment? I can't find any information on a magazine called "Science 83," and that's way out of the range of anything I know about anyway.
 
My challenge was to identify a Christian church whose members pay as much in tithing as do Latter-day Saints. The Church of Scientology has nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity. Sources? Enter "Is the Church of Scientology a Christian Religion?" into your search engine, then follow the links.


Hmm. I just tried |is Mormonism a Christian religion| in Google.

Amusing. ;)
 
In Post 3093, Pup stated: "I don't see why that's any less a sign [Shakers letting their church die out] that they're the one true religion than the LDS church, which has adapted itself to be popular" [underlining added].

In response, I asked Pup if he thought paying 10% of one's increase in tithing made the Church "popular." He made the allegation; I have said nothing about the notion that paying tithing correlates with one's faithfulness or piety.

Do try to keep the record straight.

Good point. The conversation started around post #3084, where you said, "No institution can survive if it is unwilling to change in a dynamic environment." That led to my response that not all religions believed that survival correllated with truth.

But you'll also note that my claim was not: The church has adapted every single one of its practices to be more popular. If that had been the claim, then showing one unchanged, unpopular practice would quickly and easily disprove the point.

Instead, my claim was more general, and thus can't be disproved by a single counter-example. On the one hand, the church requires things like tithing, and abstinence from alcohol and tobacco, which exclude some people, making it less popular. On the other hand, it has adapted in other ways: garments have gotten shorter as modern clothing has changed, members can live wherever they wish rather than emigrating to Utah, polygamy and a ban on black priesthood holders have been removed, etc.

Since you brought up Darwin and survival, I noted in an earlier post:

Going back to Darwin again, evolution doesn't predict that every single thing about an organism, or meme, is devoted solely to reproductive success; the detriments just need to not outweigh the benefits. There's a benefit to a church in receiving income, although there's a detriment to requiring its members to pay 10%--although a greater sacrifice from members may also encourage more devotion, so it may not even be completely detrimental from members' point of view.
 
I asked Pup if he thought paying 10% of one's increase in tithing made the Church "popular." He made the allegation; I have said nothing about the notion that paying tithing correlates with one's faithfulness or piety.

Do try to keep the record straight.

You please try to keep the record straight, as well, since I made no comment about what you may or may not have said.

Now, can we dispense with your latest diversion (that being who said what about whom)?

I did post a serious question not long back: How does the LDS Church now know that Brigham Young was wrong (goofed, as you said) in this proclamation denying blacks admission into priesthood?

I would be interested in your response, and Janadele's, and Cat Tale's, too.
 
This from post#1930, this thread:
It's possible that you're not current on the status of scholarship re. the Book of Mormon (some of the assertions you make are fossilized). FAIR notes that there is growing evidence from New World archaeology that supports the BoM. Dr. John Clark has assembled a list of 60 items named in the BoM, including steel swords, barley, cement, thrones, and literacy. "In 1842, only eight (13.3%) of those 60 items were confirmed by archaeological evidence. Thus, in the mid-nineteenth century, archaeology did not support the claims made by the Book of Mormon. . . . [however] we find in 2005 that 45 of those 60 items (75%) have been confirmed"
(FAIR, "Archaeological Evidence and the Book of Mormon," Michael R. Ash).

Presumably, you and others will auto-reject the foregoing, but archaeology is a dynamic science and time is not on your side.

Are you prepared to "appreciate" what I state above? Of course not.

My respnse, from post #1933, this thread:
Perhaps I should have expected that I would need to say, "demonstrable, empirical evidence". It is possible that you are not current on the dubious validity of inherently biased "research". You reject sources as "anti-mormon" if they disagree in any particular with the mormon party line--have you any evidence from archaeologists, or paleontologists, or anthropologists, or geneticists, or mammologists, who do not work for, or report to, a wholly-owned LDS house organ?

FAIR is hardly an unbiased source.

Would you be so kind as to provide citations to peer-reviewed sources that support the claim that steel was forged in the pre-colombian Americas?
Would you be so kind as to provide citations to peer-reviewed sources that support the claim that mesoamericans demonstrate semitic descent in their DNA?
Would you be so kind as to provide citations to peer-reviewed sources that support the claim that horses were raised and ridden, or that domestic cattle were husbanded, or that domestic pigs were kept, in the pre-Colombian Americas?
Would you be so kind as to provide citations to peer-reviewed sources that support the claim that domestic barley was cultivated in the pre-Colombian Americas?

If such has been found, and published, and subjected to scrutiny, do be so kind as to link to it.

Or, consider answering, instead of evading, my questions.

You have yet to provide citations, short of, "go look it up on the FAIR site yourself".

As an example of what engenders my frustration with non-neutral sources, I offer you "Horses in the Book of Mormon" , by Robert R. Bennett of BYU,
http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/transcripts/?id=129

Dr. (I am not trying to be flip--I did not find his information, and would rather credit him a degree he has not than deny him a degree he has) Bennett's argument consists of several points.

First, he claims that there may have been so few horses extant, from 600 BCE the early first century CE, that they may not have been widely known or widely used, so absence of evidence for their existence is not surprising.

Second, he claims that "small herds of animals in a limited region sometimes leave no archaeological remains"; then goes on to argue that the lack of fossil and bone evidence for the horses ridden by the Huns indicates that horses could have been common in the pre-Colombian Americas without leaving any traces.

These arguments fail in at least two particulars: First, fossil and bone evidence is not the only "archaeological" evidence of the hunnish horse. Tack is commonly found in hun burial sites, and the hun horse appears in contemporary art and contemporary historical mention. Nowhere in the pre-Colombian Americas has any evidence of horse culture (tack, husbandry, contemporaneous art, contemporaneous records) been discovered. Second, bones from hun horses do exist; at least one hun burial site includes the skulls and other bones of at least five horses--and a horde of tack.

Dr. Bennett's third claim is that the horse may have been misidentified through the process of "loanshift" or "loan-extension" in the same way the Romans invading Egypt called the hippopotamus a "water-horse". Dr. Bennett's claim that "...one could hardly fault Old World visitors to the New World for choosing to classify the Mesoamerican tapir as a horse or an ass, if that is what happened." seems a bit disingenuous. The problem is that there is no evidence of tapirs ever being ridden, or used as draft animals; or, for that matter, being domesticated. It does not seem unreasonable to expect that such a misidentification would not happen in a divinely-inspired book.

Now, please notice that this is not "rejection out-of-hand". Dr. Bennett's "explanations" are special pleadings, leavened with incorrect or incomplete information. At this point, the state of archaeological knowledge provides no credible evidence to support the claim that the horse was husbanded, ridden, used as a draft animal, mentioned in autochtonous song or story, represented in contemporaneous art, or even known, in the pre-Colombian Americas.

You are most welcome.
 
Last edited:
OK, I'll play along. Enter "Book of Mormon/Anachronisms" into your search engine, which will take you to the FAIR site. Among the anachronisms discussed are snow, calendar, olive culture, legal codes and concepts, geography, chariots, coins, gunpowder, windows, cement, metal plates, and swords.

I know the origins of that charts being referenced are a 2005 FAIR conference presentation by John Clark. What I don't know is what is the basis for those being presented as the official Book of Mormon anachronisms.

It looks more like a list of things that were not known in the 1800's to have existed in ancient America. Is Clark's list a strawman or a valid enumeration? (The legitimacy of his "confirmed" designations is a separate matter.
 
My challenge was to identify a Christian church whose members pay as much in tithing as do Latter-day Saints. The Church of Scientology has nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity. Sources? Enter "Is the Church of Scientology a Christian Religion?" into your search engine, then follow the links.

What does this have to do with Smith's 'translation' of the Book of Abraham?


In Post 3093, Pup stated: "I don't see why that's any less a sign [Shakers letting their church die out] that they're the one true religion than the LDS church, which has adapted itself to be popular" [underlining added].

In response, I asked Pup if he thought paying 10% of one's increase in tithing made the Church "popular." He made the allegation; I have said nothing about the notion that paying tithing correlates with one's faithfulness or piety.

Do try to keep the record straight.

Are you saying that tithing is evidence Smith was not a conman when he foisted the Book of Abraham as a translation?
 
<snip>
After a few clicks I got to a footnote here: http://en.fairmormon.org/Book_of_Mormon/Anachronisms/Plants#endnote_sorensmith

Which goes to this article:
http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/books/?bookid=71&chapid=802


Can anyone who knows more about archaelogy and pre-Columbian history comment? I can't find any information on a magazine called "Science 83," and that's way out of the range of anything I know about anyway.

From notes I took on the article when I was a student at ASU:

"Perhaps the most startling evidence of Hohokam agricultural sophistication came last year when salvage archaeologists found preserved grains of what looks like domesticated barley, the first ever found in the New World. Wild barley has a fibrous husk, over each grain. Domestic barleys lack this; So does the Hohokam barley. 'It's debatable whether this is a genetic characteristic or some extreme skill in processing,' says Vorsila Bohrer, an ethnobotanist at Eastern New Mexico University. Nearly half the samples from one site yielded barley" (p.32).

My marginal notes include the statement, "(or it may have been H. pusillum)"

I do not have the original article, only notes I took, so take it for what it's worth. IIRC, the dates of the crop were also unhelpful, 400-600 AD.
 
It's painfully obvious that for you Christianity doesn't have anything to do with anything. Be that as it may, my challenge was to identify a CHRISTIAN church whose members pay as much in tithing as do Latter-day Saints. You responded by citing some figures Scientologists pay to their "church." Do you actually believe that the Church of Scientology is a Christian religion? Whoa!

"Special pleading"? Hilarious.
What does Christianity have to do with anything? This looks like special pleading.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom