- Once again, sorry to be so slow. I do have some good excuses. If you actually want to 'hear' my excuses, write to me at
[email protected].
- Anyway, one of the things I've been trying to do is to come up with my own summary of the H/A article in Applied Optics. After re-reading and re-reading, I couldn't come up with anything more useful than their summary, and the one offered by Ford at
http://shroud.com/pdfs/ford1.pdf, pages 2 and 3.
- Mostly, I should admit that I don't have enough knowledge in this area to judge for myself, and have to accept the opinions of "experts," to the extent that the "experts" agree with each other...
- Anyway, the following is H/A's summary.
IV. Summary
The following tests were performed:
(a) visual examination;
(b) positive association with iron by x-ray fluores*
cence;
(c) positive Sore.t absorption and reasonable corre*
spondence to expected met-hemoglobin visible spectral
shapes by both transmission and reflection spectros*
copy; and
(d) positive chemical conversion to a fluorimetrically
characteristic prophyrin species does confirm and give
positive presumpti ve evidence for identifica tion of the
alleged blood areas on the Shroud of Turin as, in fact,
containingblood.
This does, however, still leave open further questions.
Since the Shroud has undergone a fire with exposure to
intense heat under oxidative conditions, what other chemical species may be found in these same areas? Hopefully a larger sample of th is same material will permit examination of this problem and allow us to further confirm spectrally the porphyrin formed as specifically protoporphyrin IX.
- the following is the Ford summary I quoted back in #4309
Regarding the ‘blood,’ Heller and Adler
(hereafter H&A) concluded that it was actual blood
material on the basis of physics-based and chemistry-
based testing, most tests of which will be discussed,
specifically the following: detection of higher-than-
elsewhere levels of iron in ‘blood’ areas via X-ray
fluorescence, indicative spectra obtained by
microspectrophotometry, generation with chemicals
and ultraviolet light of characteristic porphyrin
fluorescence, positive tests for hemochromagen using
hydrazine, positive tests for cyanmethemoglobin using
a neutralized cyanide solution, positive tests for the
bile pigment bilirubin, positive tests for protein, and
use of proteolytic enzymes on ‘blood’ material, leaving no residue.
The tests and data not discussed
are the reflection spectra indicative of bilirubin’s32 and
blood’s presence,33 chemical detection of the specific
protein albumin,34 the presence of serum halos around
various ‘blood’ marks when viewed under ultraviolet
light,35 the immunological determination that the
‘blood’ is of primate origin,36 and the forensic
judgement that the various blood and wound marks
appear extremely realistic.37
- If and when I get the chance, I'll begin a "murder board" @
http://shrouddebates.com/, where I'll post summaries of the different studies and arguments that I think support my claim that the "stains" on the Shroud involve real blood. If I get that far, I'll encourage you guys to add summaries of the studies and arguments that undermine that claim. We need to add them up.
--- Jabba