Farsight said:
He didn't say the mass of a body doesn't depend on fairies either.
Well, if somebody was claiming that fairies were responsible for electrons having a non-zero rest mass, and you argued that Einstein said "the mass of a body depends on its energy content, not the fairy mechanism", then your argument would be wrong. Einstein never said that. Likewise he never said that the mass of a body does not depend on the Higgs mechanism. So again, you are wrong for saying that he did.
Farsight said:
Stimpson J. Cat said:
Einstein also never said that the mass of a body cannot depend on how strongly that body interacts with various fields. One reason Einstein never said this is because he never had any evidence to support such a claim. Another reason he never said it is because he knew perfectly well that the energy content (and therefore the mass) of a body can and often does depend on how that body interacts with various other fields.
You're airbrushing over history Stimpson.
No, I am not. Einstein died before the Higgs mechanism was proposed, but as has already been explained to you, this is not the only mechanism by which interactions with fields are known to contribute to the mass of particles. This was known well before Einstein's death.
Farsight said:
Yes there is. It either depends on its energy content or on something else.
Does my net pay depend on my gross salary? Of course it does.
Does my net pay depend on my tax rate? Of course it does.
You're just being silly here. I don't think you even believe the ridiculous arguments you are presenting anymore. I think you just can't bring yourself to admit that any of the arguments you have made are flawed.
Farsight said:
Stimpson J. Cat said:
And like I said before, if you object to the term "mass" being used to refer to inertial mass, then you need to stop claiming that mass is a measure of energy content, because it quite demonstrably is not.
And there we have it. Einstein said "The mass of a body is a measure of its energy-content", and Stimpson say "it most demonstrably is not".
Nice try, but I serious doubt anybody reading this thread is stupid enough to fall for such a blatant misrepresentation.
Farsight said:
Oh don't insult our intelligence, Stimpson. You show me where Einstein ever said that the energy of a particle cannot depend on how strongly that particle interacts with fairies.
What's this "our" crap about? I doubt very seriously that you can find a single person involved in this discussion who actually agrees with you on any of this.
Farsight said:
hat's a clear insult, from somebody who dismisses Einstein to boot. You know the rules. I'm not talking to you about this any more. Next.
Oh no! Farsight says he won't talk to me anymore.
Wait, that's right. I don't care. Seriously, Farsight, if you think anything I have posted on this thread is for your benefit, or that I ever thought there was any chance of convincing you of anything, you are even more deluded than I thought. I could not possibly care less whether you choose to talk to me or not. I am still going to point out why what you are saying is incorrect.
In fact, since even when you do respond to my posts you don't actually address my points in any kind of coherent way, it doesn't actually matter whether you respond to me or not. If anything we are all better off if you don't. That just means less noise.
Of course the best scenario would be if you just stopped posting your nonsense altogether. But until that happens, you will just have to put up with Physicists like me pointing out that you are don't actually know what you are talking about and that you your claims and theories are complete nonsense. You see, you don't actually make the rules here. You can ignore me, but you can't make me go away any more than I can make you go away.