• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Presidential Primaries 2016

Tagg Romney? jk

I think Julian Castro will be added to this list at some point.

What about Bobby Jindal?
 
I'm tellin' ya. Scott Brown. He'll be gov. of Massachusetts before long, and he'll use that to springboard himself to the top of the ticket. Conservatives NEED someone they can pass off as rational after this fiasco, and he's just the guy, having proven himself as bi-partisan.
 
I'm tellin' ya. Scott Brown. He'll be gov. of Massachusetts before long, and he'll use that to springboard himself to the top of the ticket. Conservatives NEED someone they can pass off as rational after this fiasco, and he's just the guy, having proven himself as bi-partisan.

Tell you what -- once he's elected, I'll add him in. Personally, I think that S. Brown has had his one and only hurrah in MA state-wide elections.
 
I get the feeling that Rubio is going to throw his hat in the ring. Ryan probably will too.
Politico reported that Rubio is already planning trips to Iowa.

Ryan I think is still the darling of Republicans. They won't blame him for the loss. People vote for the top of the ticket. I don't think he did anything Palinesque that would really hurt his brand or credibility with the Republican base. I doubt he will be very appealing to moderates and independents but conservatives still love him. They think Romney lost because he wasn't conservative enough.
 
GOP: New Mexico Gov Susana Martinez. She was courted for the veep slot but didn't want it. She might be a decent offering for them in '16 if they put her at the head of the ticket.
Indeed.

But I think G.Bush (Jeb's son) rather than Jeb.
 
Indeed.

But I think G.Bush (Jeb's son) rather than Jeb.

Yes, he was on the news this morning. Running for Treasurer of Texas in 2014 I think. He is a G.P. Bush so in the event he makes the Presidency at least we can keep the three Georges straight. Though I guarantee if he runs for POTUS he will be attacked as George the III trying to keep the monarchy in America.

ETA: Ah, I misunderstood the snippet. He had to file with the treasurer, what office he is seeking is currently not announced.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Electi...orge-P.-Bush-files-to-run-for-office-in-Texas
 
Last edited:
I agree with Respect on the Republican's future outlook. They are in a potentially good position for the future if they learn the correct lessons and adapt to the changing state of the culture and demographics. There are a number of solid Republican personalities who largely stayed out of this race. If the party can convince their base that a degree of compromise is acceptable and quiet up about losing social issues they can make a huge impact on the electorate. Essentially, they need to reembrace a moderate stance for the Presidency and in non-conservative parts of the country. The more conservative elements will not disappear, any more than the more liberal elements did not disappear among the Democratic lean to the center. The structure is already there, the base just needs to find this acceptable. I think the Republican response to the Puerto Rico question is going to go a long way to reveal how easy this will be in the upcoming years.

Yes, that would be the smart thing for them to do, but is it going to happen? Isn't there a big part of the party saying Romney wasn't conservative enough and we need to go further to the right?
 
I'm tellin' ya. Scott Brown. He'll be gov. of Massachusetts before long, and he'll use that to springboard himself to the top of the ticket. Conservatives NEED someone they can pass off as rational after this fiasco, and he's just the guy, having proven himself as bi-partisan.

I think the "true believers" of the Republican party that control the nomination process need a crushing, overwhelming defeat before they finally get pushed aside and this wasn't it. They will not admit that going "full conservative" is not the way to go.
 
Yes, that would be the smart thing for them to do, but is it going to happen? Isn't there a big part of the party saying Romney wasn't conservative enough and we need to go further to the right?

Which is why I hinge it on convincing the base. It is very possible this does not happen. A few candidates or elected officials can go a long way to ruining the inroads Republicans have made among hispanic voters, just like a few candidates dashed a lot of the female support they had. This is why I think the Puerto Rico 51 debate may be a huge indicator of Republican adaption for the next few cycles.
 
Yes, that would be the smart thing for them to do, but is it going to happen? Isn't there a big part of the party saying Romney wasn't conservative enough and we need to go further to the right?

Which is why I hinge it on convincing the base. It is very possible this does not happen. A few candidates or elected officials can go a long way to ruining the inroads Republicans have made among hispanic voters, just like a few candidates dashed a lot of the female support they had. This is why I think the Puerto Rico 51 debate may be a huge indicator of Republican adaption for the next few cycles.

It will happen, the question is how many election losses it takes.

As bad as the GOP's national outlook is at this moment, they are in good shape to get out of their mess quickly if they play their cards right. Even if Romeny had won the future faces of the party would still be their crop of new-to-the-scene governors. Because they don't have a lot of national exposure yet the likes of Christie, Rubio, Haley, Martinez etc can make a fairly seamless transition away from the more divisive rhetoric of the party without it appearing as a bunch of blatant flip flopping. That doesn't mean they will, but they can. If they don't, they will also fail and the GOP will go in other directions then. Losses encourage changes and the GOP is way too big to just wither away and die like some delusional leftist partisans think is going to happen, they will make necessary changes, the question is just how many losses they need to recognize the necessity.
 
Question about C. Christie. Would he, with his current dimensions, surpass W.H. Taft for the distinction of most mountainous president?
 
Since they seem to think that the hurricane is why they lost, that it interrupted the Mittmentum, I'm thinking it'll be a little longer before they figure it out. Especially as '14 will probably be good for them.
 
Question about C. Christie. Would he, with his current dimensions, surpass W.H. Taft for the distinction of most mountainous president?

Is he tall enough? Sure he's obese, but isn't he also kind of short? That cuts down the weight quite a bit.
 
It will happen, the question is how many election losses it takes.

As bad as the GOP's national outlook is at this moment, they are in good shape to get out of their mess quickly if they play their cards right. Even if Romeny had won the future faces of the party would still be their crop of new-to-the-scene governors. Because they don't have a lot of national exposure yet the likes of Christie, Rubio, Haley, Martinez etc can make a fairly seamless transition away from the more divisive rhetoric of the party without it appearing as a bunch of blatant flip flopping. That doesn't mean they will, but they can. If they don't, they will also fail and the GOP will go in other directions then. Losses encourage changes and the GOP is way too big to just wither away and die like some delusional leftist partisans think is going to happen, they will make necessary changes, the question is just how many losses they need to recognize the necessity.

I definitely do not think the party will disappear. Barring some constitutional changes I think the Republican and Democratic Parties are permanent fixtures as organizations now. They will change and sometimes radically. I am more looking at this as if they can change and stay strong nationally or fail to adapt and weaken nationally for a few election cycles.
 
Colin Powell will toss his hat in the ring as the new would-be leader of the reformed, sane GOP, with Christie as his running mate.

Coling Powell will be 79 years old in 2016, the guy is retired from politics and I seriously don't think he wants to go back. He already held a number of substantial American political offices. His chance to run was in the 00s. That time has long passed.
 
H. Clinton, Sec. of State Too Old
J. Biden, Vice President Too Old, Too
M. Warner, senator from VA Maybe
M. O’Malley, governor of MD Maybe
A. Klobuchar, senator from MN Mn, eh!
C. Booker, mayor of Newark, NJ Not Obama
A. Villagairosa, mayor of Los Angeles, CA No.
B. Schweitzer, governor of MT No
K. Gillibrand, senator from NY No New Yorkers
A. Cuomo, governor of NY Same.
R. Emmanuel, mayor of Chicago, IL Too abrasive
What have you got against Schweitzer? He won in a solid red state. Speaks several languages and has a grasp on foreign policy that the republicons seem to lack.
 
Is he tall enough? Sure he's obese, but isn't he also kind of short? That cuts down the weight quite a bit.

A bit of googling gives Christie's height as 5'11" and Taft's as 6'. I think Christie could give WHT a run for his money. Or a leisurely stroll, anyway.
 
I'm still hoping for a Ryan/West ticket just to show the morons how far right the country has not shifted.

I have resigned myself to the fact that they are going to need the crash and burn of another whackjob to realize what they did wrong.
 
I think Condaleeza Rice should be cosnidered. The problem is, she is not super Christian enough for the (free)base and her association with the bush admin probably taints her.

Condoleezza is a ‘yes massah’ slave girl with no back bone and very little heart. No one in the GOP actually respects her or her opinions. This was extremely clear during the Bush administration when a number of key cabinet officers ignored the suggestions of the then national security advisor Condoleezza Rice. She's just a front face for facade diversity in the GOP and no one of color is buying it. She definitely would not be able to carry the minority electorate if she won nomination.

Not to go off on a tangent, but I find this extremely important to tell the members of the JREF forum. The black community DOES NOT respect Rice, AT ALL. Her stance with the republican tea party and the radical right during the 2012 presidential elections forever alienated her from the vast majority of the black community. As a consequence this would make her a HORRIBLE candidate to curry the favor of the black vote. A large portion of the black electorate has lost all respect for the woman, and it is clear from this election that blacks alone may not be a huge portion of the electorate; but they are enough to sway several key battleground states if need be. I doubt that Rice would make the decision to run, and if she does, she could expect well in advanced that she would lose. The number of blacks that voted for Romney in 2012 is the exact amount black votes she could expect to receive in 2016. I can’t speak for Hispanics, but I can only imagine that they have the same problem with Rice. Romney barely scarped 21% of the Latino vote; I can’t see Rice doing much better than he did in that area either. So unless she attempted to encourage greater voter suppression (which would still damage her image with minorities who are eligible to vote) she would not win. No minority vote equals little or no chance at the office of POTUS.

Rice is definitely not on the table. I can say that with extreme confidence.

ETA: Not to mention that her skin color could potentially alienate her from some of the more extreme elements of the Republican Party who may choose to stay home during the election instead of vote. This is a very possible scenario.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom