Hans
Philosopher
- Joined
- May 10, 2007
- Messages
- 9,266
I am having a hard time keeping up. Are we talking about FMOTL incantations or about prayer?
FMOLT beliefs
I am having a hard time keeping up. Are we talking about FMOTL incantations or about prayer?
FMOLT beliefs
Although admittedly, there's little functional difference.
No functional difference, but in principle they're different.
Prayer (to quote Emo Phillips from memory): Lord, please bend the rules of the universe for my convenience.
FOTL: Alaka-ZAM! I can now break the rules of the land at my convenience.
+1That's just sad.
[Steve] Jobs was infamous for his penchant for parking in the handicapped slot in the parking lot and for driving a silver Mercedes SL55 AMG with a blank license plate. How did he do it? Did he just pay the fine every time he was caught? Was he granted a special leave by the California government to indulge himself? Surely, surely, he didn’t change cars every few months just to go without a license plate, right?
Right?
Yeah, that’s exactly what he did, according to this story by ITWire, which spoke to a former senior security official at Apple, Jon Callas, about Jobs’ numberless numberplate:
Steve (or someone close to him) spotted a loophole in the California vehicle laws. Anyone with a brand new car had a maximum of six months to affix the issued number plate to the vehicle.
So Jobs made an arrangement with the leasing company; he would always change cars during the sixth month of the lease, exchanging one silver Mercedes SL55 AMG for another identical one. At no time would he ever be in a car as old as six months; and thus there was no legal requirement to have the number plates fitted.
Hey, Freemen! I just discovered a way to drive without a license plate, that apparently actually works!
Hey, Freemen! I just discovered a way to drive without a license plate, that apparently actually works!
There ya go! Only one little problem to overcome first.....![]()
I believe Steve Jobs used to do it as well.
http://www.itwire.com/it-people-news/enterprise/50649-the-truth-about-steve-jobs-number-plate
The mind reels at the amount of money Mr. Jobs saved by cleverly avoiding purchasing license plates. He really stuck it to "the Man."
I need to ask a Freeloader on the Land why the mighty scribes who pen the magical tax codes don't simply rewrite this law to prevent folks like the late Mr. Jobs from skipping out on those license plate purchases?
I believe Steve Jobs used to do it as well.
http://www.itwire.com/it-people-news/enterprise/50649-the-truth-about-steve-jobs-number-plate
So Jobs made an arrangement with the leasing company; he would always change cars during the sixth month of the lease, exchanging one silver Mercedes SL55 AMG for another identical one. At no time would he ever be in a car as old as six months; and thus there was no legal requirement to have the number plates fitted.
One does have to wonder at the economic sense here. Wouldn't the depreciation of a new car every six months cost the leasing company more than they could ever make selling "Steve Jobs old car?"
Sorry , no I didnt, I just read Fitzgibbons.Did you even read my post?
