• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Moderated Obama birth certificate CT / SSN CT / Birther discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strictly speaking, you can't open a PDF in Illustrator. You can import it, which is a different matter.

Correct. To presume the resulting Illustrator document tree should accurately reflect either the native PDF object hierarchy or the optional-content hierarchy is completely unfounded.

Illustrator doesn't handle PDF natively

Or even especially well. As I mentioned, Illustrator is a law unto itself at Adobe, and they do many things differently in Illustrator than in the rest of the Creative Suite products. This leads to the importation quirks Abaddon mentioned. There is only one product Adobe makes that considers PDF its native storage format: Adobe Acrobat.

...since Hawaii confirms the information in the file.

This, and all the other equivalent comments are absolutely correct. The PDF file has, had, and will have absolutely no bearing on the determination of Barack Obama's eligibility to the Presidency. The question of birth place was answered according to documentation in paper form produced, certified, and accepted by appropriate authority. Other disclosures to the public, in whatever form, have no statutory authority or restriction, and are not a matter of Constitutional concern. The courts have ruled on this point time and again.

So to sum up when opening a pdf file in Illustrator it gets converted into an Illustrator file format and is not longer a PDF?

Correct. Adobe Portable Document Format is a persistent-storage format and byte-stream content protocol used to describe mixed-media documents independent of the application program that produced them. Programs may generate PDF output that they intend to be reasonably equivalent to their internal data structures and formats. Programs may read PDF as input and attempt to render the document description objects as best they can in their own native data structures.

Ans threfore using Illustrator to check a PDF file is a complete waste of time.

Yes. There are many applications from many vendors that are useful for inspecting PDF files and presenting the underlying objects in a way that preserves the structure and intent of the underlying PDF language. Adobe Illustrator is not one of them. And as previously outlined, Adobe Illustrator is perhaps the poorest choice of all Adobe products to import PDF data and view the contents. Hence when someone claiming to be an expert in PDF documents starts his analysis, "When I open the file in Illustrator..." you can be sure he's not the expert he says he is.

Adobe Acrobat is the Adobe product of choice for manipulating PDF files as native data. And even when I use Acrobat Professional, as Robert's help file applies, to add layer information and save the result as a new PDF, Illustrator fails to identify more than one layer when importing the "layered" PDF. All the objects, regardless of layer, go into the single importation layer.

Nevertheless, since the Obama PDF is so simple and straightforward, Illustrator does render it reasonably faithfully to the original object hierarchy. There is exactly one layer, as Illustrator understands the term, and within that layer are 9 displayable objects. Robert (and many other of his pseudo-experts) clearly have little if any experience reading the Illustrator document tree panel, and still to this day mistake objects for application layers. The PDF language reference specifically warns against that misinterpretation.

In any case, PDF is a human-readable format. The best way to understand what's going on in a PDF file is to open it in a text editor such as Wordpad or vim and simply read the directives. I've done just that and presented my analysis to Robert, who clearly doesn't understand it. I've also spoon-fed him the PDF data right here in this forum and asked him to identify in it the logical elements he says are there. But again, he refuses to do that. It's an open format. Learning to read and understand PDF files is not rocket science. However, none of Robert's "experts" can manage to do it, which is exactly why none of them is accepted as an expert in court.

Hence his whole argument "Forget 'Full Faith and Credit,' the document is forged I tells ya!" falls flatter than a watered-down pancake. There is no credible evidence that the document has been forged. All this hullabaloo about the PDF is distraction.
 
Based on my experience on JREF, not expecting some subject matter experts on just about any topic is usually a mistake.

It's not as if expertise in the PDF language is especially hard to come by. As an engineer working in the digital world, the encoding of graphical and textual information in PDF format is simply one of the many things I'm expected to know. It's an open format that's widely supported and reasonably well defined. Hence it becomes an attractive format for exporting data from my internal engineering databases.

From what I've seen of Bob, conceding is not in his repertoire, so he will continue repeating the same "baloney" for as long as he can get anybody to respond to him.

Indeed. However, continuing to back him into a corner from which he can respond only with broad, sweeping denial seems to generate a higher proportion of Stundies in his arguments. That's got to be worth something.
 
wait, RP thinks impoting equals opening?
Occasionally I use an older Leitch video Velocity editor and have to work with imported tiff files. Impoting directly to Velocity works,,,, sort of. It ignores the alpha channel substituting black instead. In order to use the alpha channel one first imports the tiff into Inscriber then saves as an icg file which Velocity will import and also recognize the alpha layer.
By RP's reasoning, since one can find a program that erroneously ignores a tiff alpha channel, tiff files cannot contain this transparent layer.

sort of the flip of his take on pdf vs. Illustrator
 
My head hurts! Why would the White House doctor a birth certificate for its web site? The original paper document is still in a binder in the Hawaii archives. Several responsible officials have seen it, and they produced what they swear are two photocopies of that original document. Many other people, including reporters, have seen and handled those two photocopies and photocopies made directly from them. How could changes be made in the posted PDF without being instantly exposed? What exactly do the birthers think was altered?
 
wait, RP thinks impoting equals opening?

Not just him, but many of the Birther pseudo-experts. They use Illustrator as if it were a PDF viewer/editor. How strange of them, since Adobe makes one of those.

sort of the flip of his take on pdf vs. Illustrator

They use the wrong tool. They misinterpret the output of that tool anyway. They do what Adobe tells them explicitly not to do. Yet these are Robert's "experts."

Yeah, the reason Birther cases always lose in court is not that the Obama administration has all the judges by the [anatomy], and that they've browbeaten the Hawaii vital records office into submission. No, they always lose in court because they have no factual case.
 
The original paper document is still in a binder in the Hawaii archives. Several responsible officials have seen it, and they produced what they swear are two photocopies of that original document.

Robert and the other Birthers now just nonchalantly accuse the Hawaii officials of lying. You know, no big deal.
 
Correct. To presume the resulting Illustrator document tree should accurately reflect either the native PDF object hierarchy or the optional-content hierarchy is completely unfounded.
Indeed. To the layman, it is equivalent to thrusting ones hand blindly into a box of chocolates, and pulling out a spider. You really have no clue what illustrator is going to do.


Or even especially well. As I mentioned, Illustrator is a law unto itself at Adobe, and they do many things differently in Illustrator than in the rest of the Creative Suite products. This leads to the importation quirks Abaddon mentioned. There is only one product Adobe makes that considers PDF its native storage format: Adobe Acrobat.
Quirks? More like the elephant in the room, with its trunk on Venus. Sorry. I really, really hate how illustrator screws it up. Maybe you can tell?


This, and all the other equivalent comments are absolutely correct. The PDF file has, had, and will have absolutely no bearing on the determination of Barack Obama's eligibility to the Presidency. The question of birth place was answered according to documentation in paper form produced, certified, and accepted by appropriate authority. Other disclosures to the public, in whatever form, have no statutory authority or restriction, and are not a matter of Constitutional concern. The courts have ruled on this point time and again.
All true. For inexplicable reasons RP has hitched his wagon to the PDF format as proof of forgery, and has bypassed the actual content of the document. I can see how this might blindside the casual reader. Although it is an open language, not that many have occasion to read the PDF Language reference manual, and then implement it in an application.


Correct. Adobe Portable Document Format is a persistent-storage format and byte-stream content protocol used to describe mixed-media documents independent of the application program that produced them. Programs may generate PDF output that they intend to be reasonably equivalent to their internal data structures and formats. Programs may read PDF as input and attempt to render the document description objects as best they can in their own native data structures.
Ghostscript is a good example. Open source interpreter for PDF, PS, PCL and many other page description languages. I have found it to be quite forgiving of poorly written PDF files.

Yes. There are many applications from many vendors that are useful for inspecting PDF files and presenting the underlying objects in a way that preserves the structure and intent of the underlying PDF language. Adobe Illustrator is not one of them. And as previously outlined, Adobe Illustrator is perhaps the poorest choice of all Adobe products to import PDF data and view the contents. Hence when someone claiming to be an expert in PDF documents starts his analysis, "When I open the file in Illustrator..." you can be sure he's not the expert he says he is.
Not if he says "When I open the file in Illustrator I grind my teeth".
Did I mention how much I hate importing PDFs into Illustrator?

Adobe Acrobat is the Adobe product of choice for manipulating PDF files as native data. And even when I use Acrobat Professional, as Robert's help file applies, to add layer information and save the result as a new PDF, Illustrator fails to identify more than one layer when importing the "layered" PDF. All the objects, regardless of layer, go into the single importation layer.
Hence we still run Acrobat 4. Last reliable version before Adobe lost the plot.

Nevertheless, since the Obama PDF is so simple and straightforward, Illustrator does render it reasonably faithfully to the original object hierarchy.
Really? Its a miracle. Did I mention I hate opening PDFs with Illustrator?

In any case, PDF is a human-readable format.
For a given level of human. :D
 
You really have no clue what illustrator is going to do.

But to be fair, open-source equivalents such as Inkscape or Scribe more often simply don't bother. PDF importation: it's a privilege; not a right.

Similarly the novice graphic designer exports in PDF, wrongly thinking that because it's a "universal" format, he can take the same PDF to any production print shop in the area and get equivalent results. Production shops would much rather have the native formats. "Just send us the .ai file, we know what to do with it." Even common-denominator print shops like FedEx/Kinko's can take native files in their automated production support system.

For inexplicable reasons RP has hitched his wagon to the PDF format as proof of forgery...

It's not all that inexplicable. The discussion he wants to have has so far devolved into minutiae that it's just about proving Jay wrong now. Jay says the Obama PDF doesn't have layers, and in fact can't have layers, and Robert thinks he's found something more authoritative that says otherwise. Hence he's pounding on that, having cited it -- what? -- five times now. It's not about forgery or about understanding the evidence anymore; it's about "See how cleverly I proved my critics wrong."

I have found it to be quite forgiving of poorly written PDF files.

Indeed, because as open-source software it must truly work for many different purposes.

For a given level of human. :D

Yes, some degree of "enlightenment" (i.e., education and experience) is required to interpret PDFs correctly. None of Robert's pseudo-experts can demonstrate that skill, and most don't even try. "When I 'open' the PDF in this program of my choice, it shows me something I attribute (without any evidence of causation) to a scenario I just made up in my head." For all their bluster, they cannot walk the walk. Just as Robert will not walk the walk.
 
Hey, Bob, do you not realise you are dealing with experts right here and now on this board, and in this thread? I neither need nor want your quoted "experts". I am an expert.
I am an expert. I've demonstrated to your face that I'm an expert on this point.
But it allows Bob to pretend to expertise which he does not have. His big problem is that he did not expect genuine subject matter experts here.


I think this is a problem with a lot of conspiracy theorists. Experts, to them, are an entire layer of society completely disconnected from the masses. Experts are people who appear in high-profile court cases and on television, and people who write papers. The words of experts are nothing more than weapons that other people use. Experts aren't people you can actually have a conversation with on an Internet message board. Therefore, no one that the conspiracy theorist is actually having a conversation with could possibly be an expert.

It would certainly explain Robert Prey's obvious inability to recognize various people here as experts on the specific subject of PDFs and his question, "Where are your experts?" (Answer: "We're right here, talking to you.")

There's probably also some internal discomfort with the personal aspect of it, too: "all I have is this quote from an expert that supports my belief, but there's this expert telling me to my face that I'm wrong. Nope. Won't buy it. They must be BS'ing me."
 
But to be fair, open-source equivalents such as Inkscape or Scribe more often simply don't bother. PDF importation: it's a privilege; not a right.

Similarly the novice graphic designer exports in PDF, wrongly thinking that because it's a "universal" format, he can take the same PDF to any production print shop in the area and get equivalent results. Production shops would much rather have the native formats. "Just send us the .ai file, we know what to do with it." Even common-denominator print shops like FedEx/Kinko's can take native files in their automated production support system.
Back in the day, when I was working in a repro house, it took the longest time to persuade people that actual work was being undertaken fixing the crappy PDF files that were submitted. I consider it a personal achievement that those activities became billable under my regime. That was previously considered just another overhead until I logged the man hours involved.


It's not all that inexplicable. The discussion he wants to have has so far devolved into minutiae that it's just about proving Jay wrong now. Jay says the Obama PDF doesn't have layers, and in fact can't have layers, and Robert thinks he's found something more authoritative that says otherwise. Hence he's pounding on that, having cited it -- what? -- five times now. It's not about forgery or about understanding the evidence anymore; it's about "See how cleverly I proved my critics wrong."
Still, your point stands. RP clearly does not understand the structures, and does not understand that experts are here talking to him directly.

Indeed, because as open-source software it must truly work for many different purposes.
I mentioned GhostScript because I have used it, And the most prevalent accounts package here uses it as a print engine.

Yes, some degree of "enlightenment" (i.e., education and experience) is required to interpret PDFs correctly. None of Robert's pseudo-experts can demonstrate that skill, and most don't even try. "When I 'open' the PDF in this program of my choice, it shows me something I attribute (without any evidence of causation) to a scenario I just made up in my head." For all their bluster, they cannot walk the walk. Just as Robert will not walk the walk.
Would you consider a point by point "Hello World" pdf ascii a worthwhile effort so folks could see the structure?
 
I think this is a problem with a lot of conspiracy theorists. Experts, to them, are an entire layer of society completely disconnected from the masses.

Or an entirely different, unapproachable class -- yes. Experts are somewhat dehumanized in the conspiracy theory world. Conspiracists tend to wield them like weapons, at least the ones they believe support their claims. These are typically pseudo-experts or legitimate experts being misinterpreted.

And by projection, they expect us to do the same. Further, experts who dispute their claims are invariably written off as ideologically compromised "mainstream" experts who have either been hoodwinked into unthinkingly spouting the party line, browbeating into doing that, or who are simply the uncreative product of "mainstream" education.
 
Question:

Has anyone tried to open the file using Acrobat? Just curious. I have an old version so I don't think it would be of any use. Also I get that many programs can generate PDF files and that Obama's LFBC PDF file might not have been created with Acrobat. Sorry if this was dealt with and I missed it.
 
Has anyone tried to open the file using Acrobat? Just curious. I have an old version so I don't think it would be of any use. Also I get that many programs can generate PDF files and that Obama's LFBC PDF file might not have been created with Acrobat. Sorry if this was dealt with and I missed it.
Yup, and it turns out to be a plain old 1.3 PDF which does not support layers in any way. Can I whack it up in my fav text editor and see this? Yes. Can you? Yes. Can anyone? Yes. Everyone except for RP, who can't figure out how to do it.
 
Since Bobby P. insists that the LFBC .pdf opens in AI with more than one layer, I thought I'd download AI and put it to the test myself.

picture.php


Wow! Look over on the right side in the layers window...just one layer...yes, a bunch of groups...but just one layer. Do you see that Bob?

I've never used Illustrator before, but I can confirm what Jay and others have been saying for myself. Why is it that you Robert, with all your supposed Adobe software experience, can't seem to figure this out?:rolleyes:
 
BWAHAHAHAHA.

Ok to critique....No sorry BWAHAHAHAHA.
I was messing around with opening it in OpenOffice Writer and it rendered as 1448 pages with at most several lines of gibberish at the top of each page. I'd hate to think what the birthers would try to say that means!:D
 
My head hurts! Why would the White House doctor a birth certificate for its web site? The original paper document is still in a binder in the Hawaii archives. Several responsible officials have seen it, and they produced what they swear are two photocopies of that original document. Many other people, including reporters, have seen and handled those two photocopies and photocopies made directly from them. How could changes be made in the posted PDF without being instantly exposed? What exactly do the birthers think was altered?

Reality.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom