• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Romney: The art of saying whatever to get elected.

This is a defense of candidate Romney? His failure to communicate a single coherent position on this matter?

I'm just amazed at this. I don't even see conservatives trying to get behind Romney or the GOP platform. Their entire worldview has become so distorted and incoherent that it's to the point where they honestly can't present their position on any subject without twisting their views, their opponents' views, or both.
 
Fortunately for Romney, he can distract them with the whole Obama trying to take "god" off our coins routine... that is keeping things focused on the economy. "It's 'In God We Trust' on coins, stupid" Campaign.
 
I'm just amazed at this. I don't even see conservatives trying to get behind Romney or the GOP platform. Their entire worldview has become so distorted and incoherent that it's to the point where they honestly can't present their position on any subject without twisting their views, their opponents' views, or both.


I'm put in mind of the guy in "Office Space" who was trying to justify retaining his job. Unable to come up with a coherent argument, he just turned red and started screaming "I have people skills! People skills! Why won't you listen, I have goddamn people skills!"
 
I keep wondering if Obama will make a stupid off-hand comment that could snowball out of control, but he's a pretty disciplined candidate. Republicans have been forced to twist around the meaning of his words "you didn't build that."

Romney's the one who needs to pay attention to what he says. It's also helpful if he has some idea of what he believes. Makes it more difficult to go off-script.
 
The party's position is Repeal Obamacare.
On the contrary (especially considering Obamacare is pretty much Republicare), the party's position is Democratic President Must Be Prevented From Achieving Anything So We Can Say, "See? Democratic Presidents Don't Achieve Anything!"
 
Last edited:
I'd like to hear how he thinks a prohibition on health insurers turning down potential insured because of pre-existing conditions will practically work without an individual mandate.

Indeed, he seems to not understand how insurance works. He should run for president of Kolob.
 
His probable defeat should re-energize TeaParty 2014 & 2016 is an upside for me.
It's an upside for the Democrats too. Further splintering of the GOP can only help the Democratic Party. Formation of an actual third party would pretty much guarantee Democratic rule for some years to come.
 
It's an upside for the Democrats too. Further splintering of the GOP can only help the Democratic Party. Formation of an actual third party would pretty much guarantee Democratic rule for some years to come.
Allowing eastern establishment republicans the next pick of nominee would likely achieve the same end. I don't foresee that splintering, rather a takeover.
 
When did the US economy become a zero-sum game?

I believe the calendar date was Jan 19, 1981, but ideologically its been thus since at least the robber barons. Yea yea they let a few of the barbarians in the door to keep up appearances, and there are those few rouges that come along every once in a while that nothing sort of a miracle can stop. The genius of the right is that they have and continue to sell that pipe dream to the sheeple. But in reality it is as likely as finding anything but a dollar bill in the heart of a whore.
 
I'd like to hear how he thinks a prohibition on health insurers turning down potential insured because of pre-existing conditions will practically work without an individual mandate.

He doesn't, which is why he is not for mandating that insurance companies cover people with pre-existing conditions.

See, he walked back ("clarified") that statement:
Romney: Sorry, No Preexisting Conditions Guarantee Unless You’re Already Insured

“I’m not getting rid of all of health care reform. Of course there are a number of things that I like in health care reform that I’m going to put in place,” the Republican nominee said on NBC’s “Meet The Press.” “One is to make sure that those with preexisting conditions can get coverage.”

His campaign later told TPM he wasn’t signaling a shift in policy and was instead referring to his existing stance in favor of protections on preexisting conditions only for those with continuous insurance coverage — not for first-time or returning buyers.
 
Is the term "pre-existing" conditions even used for those with "continuous insurance coverage"?

You have to wonder what they think the conditions were existing "pre" to.

Or, maybe more coherently, what do they think "pre" means? It means conditions that existed before something, what do they think that something is?
 
When you switch insurance companies you do not want them to be able to say something is not covered because of preexisting conditions. In NY( the state I am familiar with) I believe the insurance companies are not allowed to do it but maybe some states can.
 
When you switch insurance companies you do not want them to be able to say something is not covered because of preexisting conditions. In NY( the state I am familiar with) I believe the insurance companies are not allowed to do it but maybe some states can.
Yes, but what if you never had an insurance company? What about people with congenital defects? What about someone like me who loses his job and health insurance and for nearly two years has no income? BTW: RE risk pools, risk pools simply spread the cost of increased risk among the insurance companies. It's not as if the ACA significantly changes that.

healthinsurance.org said:
source Some risk pools have done an excellent job of providing alternatives for their citizens, while others have done very little because their health insurance plans are not designed well, or are not funded properly by their states – or they were simply unaffordable. The risk pools created by the Affordable Care Act are intended to remedy these shortcomings.
 
You have to wonder what they think the conditions were existing "pre" to.

Or, maybe more coherently, what do they think "pre" means? It means conditions that existed before something, what do they think that something is?

Pre- renewing your policy, something that usually happens every year. Or changing policies (like going to a different company).

ETA: Or, in the case of rescission: prior to your claim for expensive medical services if they can determine that you left something out on your original enrollment paperwork (family medical history, personal medical history, etc.).
 
Last edited:
When you switch insurance companies you do not want them to be able to say something is not covered because of preexisting conditions. In NY( the state I am familiar with) I believe the insurance companies are not allowed to do it but maybe some states can.

In fact, it goes even farther than that. The insurance industry has said that without an individual mandate they can't stop the practice of rescission and post claim underwriting.

A pre-existing "condition" can be an error on a form when you first enrolled, or it can be failure to disclose a family history (even if it's irrelevant to the present claim). The practice was pretty widespread and IMO loathesome.
 
Yes, but what if you never had an insurance company? What about people with congenital defects?

Good point. I guess they expect people to sign up their children at conception.

ETA: And as risky as pregnancy and childbirth can be, I'm sure insurers would LOVE to hold those policies! :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom