• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Odd Lies of Paul Ryan

Can you imagine how this would play out if it were Obama?

It would be more like, "Why won't Obama release his marathon results? What is he hiding?". I.e. I think Obama would be smart enough not to lie about something people could check on. If his marathon time was less than impressive, he wouldn't tell us what it was (I have no idea whether Obama actually ever ran a marathon).
 
Any spin on this lie ?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...rter-on-eve-of-dem-convention/comment-page-1/

"In 1980, under Jimmy Carter, 330,000 businesses filed for bankruptcy. Last year, under President Obama's failed leadership, 1.4 million businesses filed for bankruptcy," Paul said.

Ryan's campaign later clarified that he was mentioning total bankruptcy filings, not only business filings.

ABC has some more specifics about the numbers Ryan is being less than truthful about.
 
Trust, simply trust.

If he lies when there is absolutely no reason to lie then what will he do when there might be a reason?

Most non partisan non wing nuts elect based on who they trust to do the right thing for themselves and the country in general.

A stupid lie that reveals a great deal about a candidate.

It really bothers me more that he lied about something that is easily checked. I'm cynical enough that I expect politicians to lie. And let's face it. His marathon time really has little bearing on his qualifications to be vice president or president. Lying about something that is easlily checked is just plain dumb. I don't want a president that dumb, and a vice president is one gunshot or heart attack away from being president.
 
Last edited:
It would be more like, "Why won't Obama release his marathon results? What is he hiding?". I.e. I think Obama would be smart enough not to lie about something people could check on. If his marathon time was less than impressive, he wouldn't tell us what it was (I have no idea whether Obama actually ever ran a marathon).

Why should a grown man avoid the topic if he didn't do well in a marathon. Grownups should be able to make light of their lack of prowess in recreational activities that aren't their cup of tea.
 
It really bothers me more that he lied about something that is easily checked. I'm cynical enough that I expect politicians to lie. And let's face it. His marathon time really has little bearing on his qualifications to be vice president or president. Lying about something that is easlily checked is just plain dumb.

Perhaps we can forgive the speaker, but there's another troubling level here. We vote these guys in, not just for their personal characteristics, but their ability to surround themselves with effective people. In other words, the fact checking that wasn't done by staff is probably more troubling. Where are the professionals who read/write/fact-check the speech?

I don't want a president that dumb, and a vice president is one gunshot or heart attack away from being president.

When I read "gunshot or heart attack" in the same sentence as "vice president," I couldn't help but think of Dick Cheney. The nation, if not his friend, dodged a bullet there.
 
Kaosium, maybe I missed it.

A man (no matter his political leanings) makes statements which are shown to be false.

How is this not lying?
 
Kaosium, maybe I missed it.

A man (no matter his political leanings) makes statements which are shown to be false.

How is this not lying?


To be completely fair, it could simply be ignorance. Like saying, oh I don't know, that the US leads the world in nuclear power production, not knowing that it does not.
 
I knew a liar that said she could run a mile in about one minute.
"Really? You can run 60 miles per hour?!"

She was quiet after that for about 30 minutes, at which point she started to talk about how Playboy wanted her as a model when she was 13yrs old and how she saw the set where they faked the moon-landing when she was in the AF reserves....

Maybe Paul Ryan is like this.
 
Kaosium, maybe I missed it.

A man (no matter his political leanings) makes statements which are shown to be false.

How is this not lying?

Here is how I understand it (but await clarification from Kaosium): The statements may have been false, but the overarching point in which they were embedded were, and remain, true. The meta-truth overcomes the minor misstatements. Therefore, calling attention to those minor flaws smears the truth value of the larger theme.

In a micro sense, it is lying. In a macro sense, it isn't.

For example, suppose I have a hybrid and am making a claim about saving money on gasoline consumption. If I misstate how much gasoline I buy, even lowball the figure substantially, I am still being truthful in the larger claim of saving money on fuel costs. Or, if I warn you about a poisonous snake and make the false claim that it is "the most toxic snake in the world" -- the little lie is overwhelmed by the truth of it really being a venomous snake.

I don't think my explanation really works on the marathon thing, but more on the political characterizations.
 
Last edited:
Hillary Clinton really did assert the whopper that she dodged sniper fire in Bosnia, though....

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-03-25/...er-fire-foreign-policy-clinton?_s=PM:POLITICS

That's a whopper all right. :D I always wondered if false memories can get implanted in a stressful situation. Who knows. Her "misspeaking" seemed to really bother her.

Clinton was responding to a question Monday from the Philadelphia Daily News' editorial board about video footage of the event that contradicted her assertion that her group "ran with our heads down" from the plane to avoid sniper fire at the Tuzla Air Base.
 
Why should a grown man avoid the topic if he didn't do well in a marathon. Grownups should be able to make light of their lack of prowess in recreational activities that aren't their cup of tea.

I agree with you. I'd just say "I didn't even come close to winning, but I finished the race."

Which is accomplishment enough!

I tell people that I was the worse player on my High School football team, but I stuck with it and made the team.
 
I look forward with glee for PaulRyansLies.com


http://www.mediaite.com/tv/paul-ryans-silent-but-deadly-lie/

Paul Ryan’s Silent But Deadly Lie






In light of the above maybe the marathon boondoggle was told purposely to take attention away from the silent "real issue."



http://www.salon.com/2012/08/30/paul_ryans_brazen_lies/







Even more amusing.


http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-ran-a-faster-marathon-than-paul-ryan/261895/

Wow.

That doesn't make me think she would have made a good vice president, or president, but that's pretty darned impressive.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom