W.D.Clinger
Philosopher
I ran my first marathon in a little less than three hours.
If what is being reported is true (that Paul Ryan claimed to have run a sub-three-hour marathon when his best time is on the wrong side of four hours), then Paul Ryan is a liar.
Quoted for truth.Kaosium,
I was a long distance runner back when. I ran a few marathons and I actually did three hours or just about. You know if you can do a three hour marathon, believe me. Just as you know if you can do 2 1/2.
No, a sub-three-hour marathon makes you a very good athlete, as I was, but hardly elite. In 2012, the Olympic A-standard qualifying time for US athletes was 2:19, and that gives you a pretty good idea of how fast you have to run to be considered an elite marathoner nowadays.A sub-3 hour marathon makes one an elite athlete. It's kind of like claiming you played in the NBA when you only played high school varsity, or that one has a PhD when they really only had a BA. Does it matter for the VP of the USA? I guess we're going to find out.
Absolutely. Until the onset of dementia, everyone who has run a marathon remembers his or her best time.Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most marathon runners remember EXACTLY their times in each race, even at twenty years remove? That quote would send up a red flag for me.
If what is being reported is true (that Paul Ryan claimed to have run a sub-three-hour marathon when his best time is on the wrong side of four hours), then Paul Ryan is a liar.
Last edited: