Do you honestly think there's no difference between getting a project
definitely funded and forwarding a request to the Energy Department? How could he
not do that if the proposal is within the parameters of the grant?
Of course he did, it's his
job!
Do you actually understand what we're talking about here?
He
forwarded requests with basically a form letter and signature (notice that?) from (mainly--I think one ended up with Labor) the WI Energy something or another to the Energy Department. They're the ones that make the decision, not Paul Ryan. The Energy Department will be headed by an appointment from the
Obama Administration. He would be remiss in his duties as a Representative for the First District if he didn't do so, regardless of what he thinks of the stimulus package.
What's dishonest is attempting to conflate an earmark and a constituent service because they would both require writing letters. What's even more dishonest is if they ordered it not funded
because he voted against the stimulus package, and then attacked him for forwarding the proposal. I don't know if the latter part happened, I do know when I looked into it at least one was turned down (which might have been perfectly just) and I couldn't find any evidence that any were funded, which is rather curious because you'd think if they funded one they'd have trumpeted
that rather than just accusing him of 'lying' for forwarding the request.
I think if $500 billion got spent on this stimulus package and they're attacking Paul Ryan for forwarding grant requests through normal channels for (relatively) paltry sums there's something wrong with that picture. If he'd tried to get earmarked sums that would another thing, but even then the First District of Wisconsin is just as deserving of that money (you know they pay federal taxes too?) as anywhere else and it would be perfectly legitimate for him to insist on
something (guaranteed) for his district even though he opposed the bill.
However he didn't insist on anything, he merely fulfilled his duties and left it up to the Energy Department. Don't you care at all if $500 billion was spent, the First District (WI) got nothing (or very little) and they tried to pretend him fulfilling his duties as a Congressman was somehow evidence he was a 'liar?'