The one constant that Tony has shown repeatedly in his various analyses is that he possesses the engineering JUDGMENT of a mediocre first year engineering student. If he is handed the correct equation, then he is able to plug the numbers into a calculator or spreadsheet & accurately relate the answers that those two tools may provide. (God knows that he can't derive the correct equations himself, as the circle jerk with Moment of Inertia - and a dozen other exercises - have shown.)
[Pedantic mode on]
However an engineers greatest asset, one that comes with experience, is judgment. It is the ability to look at things in a meaningful way, to be able to discern the important factors from the unimportant, and to possess a "feel" for (in the case of mechanical engineers) how the various components are going to mechanically interact.
[/Pedantic mode]
This exercise is another great example of Tony's failure in this regard.
A couple of drawings to show what really goes on after the c79 - c44 girder has slid about 6.4" (not straight to the west, but) perpendicular to the axis of the girder, which is slightly north of west.
I've done one modification to the parts in these drawings: I've trimmed away the thin segments of metal from the girder seat and the girder that were incapable of supporting the structural loads of the girder.
I trimmed the seat where it overhung the support plate. And I've trimmed away the bottom & top flanges of the girder where they overhung the stiffener plates. The only reason that I removed the top flange segment is simply to allow visualization of the bottom flange segment when looking at a top view of the assembly.
Tony has already agreed that these components would have been unable to support the structural load of the Girder, which supported the entire northeast corner of the 13th floor. Trimming away these segments is exactly equivalent to retaining columns, beams, joists, etc. in a structural drawing, while removing wall board.
Here is the top view of the assembly with the girder slid 6.4 inches by thermal expansion of the floor beams. The various components are labeled. I chose 6.4" of slide because it was slightly greater than the 6.29" that would have brought the beam's central web into alignment with the end of the seat.
Top View: Column 79 & Girder Seat Assembly, 6.4" of girder slide
Here is a bottom oblique view of the same situation.
Bottom Oblique View: Column 79 & Girder Seat Assembly, 6.4" of girder slide
Here is a detail view of the Girder, seat & support plate interface with the "load bearing capable" area shown in red.
Detail, Top View, Contact Load Bearing Area (Red)
Take a look at this load bearing contact area (red area) in the detail view, and then look back at the whole assembly in the first, Top view.
Realize that this small triangular sliver of metal is attempting to support the entire weight of the Northeast quadrant of the 13th floor. All the weight that tied into that girder.
The situation described above is one that Tony asserts is "proven impossible for the girder to collapse until it slides an additional 2.6" more (9" total)." He asserts this, vigorously, because a couple lines overlap on a piece of paper.
This amounts to "The Delusion of the Infinitely Strong Line on an Assembly Drawing".
Combined with "The Delusion that Everything Stays Exactly Where You Want It, No Matter How Poorly Supported".
Engineering students & Baby Engineers with little experience often fall prey to these delusions.
Seasoned engineers, those with experience & judgment, know better.
Tom
PS.
A couple of important notes on this assembly drawing: I drew all components in their "nominal position".
(In order of significance in increasing or decreasing the contact area)
1. I've not accounted for any motion in any direction of the column.
2. I've not allowed for any sag of the girder due to load (NIST reports 2.5" sag due to concrete weight alone, IIRC. I don't recall that they calculated deflection of the composite Girder/concrete floor due to live load.) This shortening would pull the end of the girder further off of the seat to the north (towards the bottom in the drawings).
3. Similarly I've not accounted for any thermal expansion of the girder.
4. I've not accounted for any tolerance errors in any of the components or features.
5. I've not allowed for any clean up chamfers on the top edge of the support plate.