AlBell
Philosopher
- Joined
- Mar 28, 2009
- Messages
- 6,360
Or hackers haven't seen a good reason to do so?Again, there's not a single incident of any bank databases in Denmark being hacked, ever! It's virtually impossible to do so.
Or hackers haven't seen a good reason to do so?Again, there's not a single incident of any bank databases in Denmark being hacked, ever! It's virtually impossible to do so.
Or hackers haven't seen a good reason to do so?
The problem is that a single ID number would be the way to locate an individual on every database that has been set up. With the one number, you would be able to find out an individual's credit history, medical history, criminal history, etc.As for the problem of data being hacked or stolen, how is that any different from now?
This is probably the strongest objection.
The system (although "system" is really a stretch) now is that for any particular level if ID security, you can either choose to accept the prying eyes of each business you deal with or refuse to do business with them. So, for example, your bank, your hospital, your car dealership, and any of an expanding number of entities know more about you than they probably should. Even if you are presenting a driver's license as identification, they can get your birthdate and other info you might not wish to divulge.
My selling point to you is that a national, recognized for of identification could increase your privacy if you only authorized the first level -- I am who I say I am.
It would be enough for me to do business with you because I no longer need all the tangential information about you as "add-ons" simply to verify who you are.
Keep your social security number to yourself, keep your mother's maiden name private -- I no longer need it.
Does that help sway you?
If not, consider how close this is to giving out your signature. Your signature is uniquely yours but doesn't give further information, perhaps not even your gender. All it does is match up some activity with you, uniquely.
Now, let us say you do wish to make a claim based on the standardized ID.
Suppose you wish to verify that you are a US citizen.
I'd like that ability.
To do so, I can be empowered to release other information linked to my national ID and bingo! that gets verified as well.
Just a question here. We have a single document now that demonstrates U.S. citizenship. It's called a passport (also available in card form for travel to Canada and Mexico), and once you have one you don't need anything else to prove your identity to the DMV, TSA, banks, employers, etc. Is there any evidence that evil enemy states are manufacturing functional counterfeit passports?
Easy, biometric data. A retina scan for example. The holder of the fake card will fail the retina scan.
But this is inaccurate. My bank accounts were opened with a Military ID card that I doubt was ever ran through any verification system because I personally have known the manager for several decades. My hospital is a VA facility where my Veteran's card (given to me based upon my service number and my DD214) is good enough with regards to personal information. Last time I bought a car I paid cash (got a big sticker-price discount) and never had to even flash my Driver's License (though I do think my secretary later did fill this in when handling the title transfer paperwork). Most places do have alternative procedures to follow when clients/customers do not want to use their SSN or other "ID" numbers in such processes and documentations.
Why should I trust that from one card? What about that card makes it more reliable or trustworthy than any of the other pieces of corporate, state and federal ID I currently possess? When I want verifying ID from someone I don't know, I would prefer four or five different corroborating pieces of ID and statements from people who I know who have known them for at least several years. No single ID is going to convince me that they are who they say they are, and in most cases such is irrelevent. I don't need to know precisely who someone is for most business encounters, only the color of their money.
What types of business make it important to know "who" you customer is?
True, with a one-stop national ID card you can get all that just by knowing my National ID number,...which is rather my point, I'd rather make you have to dig to get all of these different numbers and pieces of information on your own, rather than giving you a single key that can unlock all of this information.
Not yet, we seem to have some very different understandings and concerns with regards to privacy and security.
Why tie all my information to a card that may or maynot be authentic, why not just use my signature?
If it is ID alone, I would never want to do that or have that done and the card alone would not verify that, merely assert that.
With an ID card? Why? I'm largely unconcerned about the citizenship status of the people I meet or do business with. If citizenship status is a serious concern I would never trust a card as proof that the person standing before me was a citizen. show me a US birth certificate, school records, personal references, DLs/StateIDs, etc., and I would be swayed, showing me an ID card might be the start of that, but it wouldn't in itself present compelling evidence of citizenship.
If I don't trust the card, why would I trust any other information released through or from that card?
So long as there are easier pickings why would they explore systems perceived to be complicated and troublesome. ALternately, systems that wish to maintain an image of complete security do not air their dirty laundry to the press, thus, not "hearing" about hacks, does not mean that hacks have not occurred.
...My hospital is a VA facility where my Veteran's card (given to me based upon my service number and my DD214) is good enough with regards to personal information.....
.... I would prefer four or five different corroborating pieces of ID and statements from people who I know who have known them for at least several years. ...
...What types of business make it important to know "who" you customer is?...
...show me a US birth certificate, school records, personal references, DLs/StateIDs, etc., and I would be swayed....
got a link to some details?
Torygraph said:Now it turns out that they are planning to sneak in just such a power presumably hoping that no-one noticed. But the eagle-eyed lawyers at Liberty spotted that clauses in the draft Borders, Immigration and Citizenship Bill – confirmed as part of the Government’s programme for this session of parliament in the Queen’s Speech - give state officials the power to make anyone who has ever entered the country, at any time, prove who they are.
The problem is that a single ID number would be the way to locate an individual on every database that has been set up. With the one number, you would be able to find out an individual's credit history, medical history, criminal history, etc.
Yes, I know these systems will have security built insdl
but that won't stop the hackers.
With an ID card? Why? I'm largely unconcerned about the citizenship status of the people I meet or do business with. If citizenship status is a serious concern I would never trust a card as proof that the person standing before me was a citizen. show me a US birth certificate, school records, personal references, DLs/StateIDs, etc., and I would be swayed, showing me an ID card might be the start of that, but it wouldn't in itself present compelling evidence of citizenship.
So this would not have applied to British Citizens who had never left the country, but for the rest of us we would have had to be able to prove who we are at any time.
When the Government introduced its ID card legislation several years ago, it made one thing clear. Even though it would be obligatory to register on the ID database when obtaining a new passport, it would not be compulsory to carry a card.
Perhaps the Government did not intend the legislation to be so widely drawn and meant it merely to apply to people when they arrive at the border as part of a proper immigration control system.
It is simply wrong to claim there are any plans whatsoever to make identity cards compulsory for British citizens or to require British citizens to have their ID card – or any other form of ID – on them at all times and to present it when asked to do so.
The Don said:Needing to carry the card has been repeatedly mentioned by the people proposing its introduction in the UK as a key element of enforcement.
It would appear your claim <snip> is inaccurate
[Simpsons Mode]How do you know it isn't? I bet the ads on your emails/web pages are more targetted to your needs than the ones I see are to mine.[/Simpsons Mode]So why isn't this happening everywhere that single ID systems already exist?
I've noticed that my signature, since the computer age, has changed drastically from what it was 20 years ago. Nobody writes much anymore, and without that constant repetition handwriting becomes far less uniform IMHO.Why tie all my information to a card that may or maynot be authentic, why not just use my signature?
In that case the spoofed card is no longer a replica of the one in the database, and the card is easily identified as fraudulent.Not if the data is altered to have the holder's retina scan attached to the alternate ID information in the case of a fraudulent or spoofed card. Or as in the Man-in-the-middle attack done on the PIN and CHip CCs, as long as the data retrieved by the scanner is given a false greenlight, and the card doesn't recognize that it has even been queried for data, the card is not a foolproof secure and reliable ID system.
There's a difference between being required to have an ID card and being required to carry it with you at all times.You're probably right. I was probably misremembering and conflating various interviews and phone-ins from several years ago.
If the UK ID card was not going to be compulsory then I cannot understand how it ever could have been effective as a means of identifying illegal immigrants or somehow controlling terrorism. As a means of doing other stuff, then perhaps, but at the time the government were positioning it as an effective measure against those two.
This still means it would be ineffective, expensive, badly implemented and would leave a whole new set of information that could be left lying around.
There's a difference between being required to have an ID card and being required to carry it with you at all times.
I've noticed that my signature, since the computer age, has changed drastically from what it was 20 years ago. Nobody writes much anymore, and without that constant repetition handwriting becomes far less uniform IMHO.
In that case the spoofed card is no longer a replica of the one in the database, and the card is easily identified as fraudulent.
I did, but only 1st grade. Sister Marian...(You obviously never attended Catholic school!)
Why would that be the only information it transmits? Why not other encrypted data to further verify? Or maybe even just a hash tag that must match.The only information the card transmits is its account verification sequence. SO long as the spoofed card possesses the proper access protocols and addresses the database in the way it expects, it is indistinguishable from the real card.