Edit: I see quite a lot of this has already been addressed, but I've written it now so hey
I'll take that bet. Credit cards with chips haver never been forged as far as I know.
Forged entirely from scratch is difficult, but cloning an existing chip is pretty straightforward. If you remain below the limit where a card will phone home then the chances of detection are pretty small, because most shops will authenticate the card statically (i.e. the card authenticates itself).
It is of course possible that ID cards will always phone home when asked to authenticate, which would thwart that, but that system's more expensive. Credit card issuers can deal with that by making a charge for the service - how will that work for ID cards, I wonder?
The other issue is that the main difficulty in forging from scratch is not that it's impossible per se but that it's going to be rather expensive in terms of time and money to figure out how to do it, and there are much easier and cheaper ways of scamming money off a credit card. So nobody's bothered.
It may well be that a national ID card system might be worth expending a bit of effort on to forge from scratch, but in any case a copy of somebody else's ID might be enough to do whatever it is you want to do.
Do you have an example of a faked card being used?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/03/hitechcrime.news
Fraudsters withdrew £2,100 from his account at ATMs, even though he was in possession of his card
...
"The disputed transactions were made using the chip in the issued card received by Mr Reddell and not a counterfeit card," says Barclaycard, adding that the Ombudsman had upheld its decision to dismiss Mr Reddell's claim.
"That couldn't have happened, because it was kept in my safe," contends Reddell. He only ever used it in an ATM to change the pin on the card, which was new, two weeks before the frauds occurred.
Incidentally this guy took Halifax (whose ATMs they were) to court to get his £2100 back, but the judge dismissed his claims, essentially believing the bank when it claimed that it was impossible to counterfeit a card.
Details of the ruling.
Dunno if Hercules Rockefeller is a judge?
Edit: I think I've conflated two different instances of suspected card fakery there, but the effect is much the same.