I wish you would, because I didn't expect only quotes.
Huh?
Pixy claims that it is widely accepted that SRIP is the known mechanism for consciousness. I cite leaders in the field saying that the mechanism is unkown.
What the hell
else do you expect?
I mean, seriously, this has gotten ridiculous.
Unless Pixy wants to pony up with some serious citations of leading neurobiologists to the contrary, those quote demonstrate clearly and definitively that Pixy is 100% wrong.
And by now he has no excuse not to know it.
Okay, I'll bite. How is the brain _not_ like a computer ?
I have to lead by pointing out that
the claim must be substantiated by the people making it! You know this, so don't play dumb.
(Sorry if I'm losing my patience, but intellectual dishonesty gets under my collar.)
Brains and computers are not the same thing, so if you or anyone else wants to claim "the brain is a computer" then that claim has to be substantiated... you can't refuse to support the argument and then tell everyone else they have to disprove it.
And here's the catch....
Not too far upthread Pixy posted a link to an article listing 10 ways that a brain isn't a computer.
Pixy then pointed out that this list is irrelevant, because the comp.lits aren't saying that the brain is similar to computers which
actually exist.
Now that might sound weird, but it's actually a fair point on Pixy's part, and here's why....
I could easy give you lists of 10 ways in which falcons are different from hummingbirds, or penguins from condors, or emus from buzzards. Yet this does not mean that these animals are not all birds.
So simply listing 10 ways (or any number of ways) in which the brain differs from a PC does not necessarily mean that they are not both computers.
The problem with Pixy's argument, however, is this....
In addition to listing differences, it's also easy to describe
why all these animals
are birds. (You can point to their evolutionary history, genetic relationships, and biology.)
But neither PixyMisa nor any of the other comp.lit apologists on this forum have ever been able to do the same for computers and brains.
In fact, I asked Pixy yet again to do just that, and got crickets.
So far, despite repeated requests from me and Westprog, there has been no definition of "computer" provided which would include both my brain and my PC, and yet which excludes cows, stars, and oceans.
Once that's done, then there will be something to discuss.
Until then, the claim itself is empty.