I just wanna know what "DGU" is.
Defensive Gun Use
I just wanna know what "DGU" is.
Defensive Gun Use
If this were a gun control thread, prejudices and agit-prop soundbites might be relevant.A DGU is a defensive gun use. There have been various studies which show that many are dubiously described as defensive
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1730063/pdf/v010p00096.pdf
http://www.stat.duke.edu/~dalene/chance/chanceweb/103.myth0.pdf
http://www.tscm.com/165476.pdf
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/researc...n-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use/index.html
summed up in the last link to the Harvard School of Public Health
"40. Legality of reported self-defense gun use
We analyzed data from two national random-digit-dial surveys conducted under the auspices of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center.
Major findings: Criminal court judges who read the self-reported accounts of the purported self-defense gun use rated a majority as being illegal, even assuming that the respondent had a permit to own and to carry a gun, and that the respondent had described the event honestly from his own perspective.
Publication: Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah. "Gun Use in the United States: Results from Two National Surveys." Injury Prevention. 2000; 6:263-267. "
This death of a Scottish man, drunk and lost who was banging on a door looking for assistance shocked the UK
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scot-is-shot-dead-when-mistaken-for-prowler-1405505.html
as it seems such an excessive reaction by the householder to shoot first and ask questions later.
I do not think that Zimmerman should be able to resort to deadly force to win a fight. I think it is excessive, based on my own prejudices created by our gun laws, culture and legal system.
.....
Do you have anything to offer on whether or not an Hispanic man should be allowed to defend himself the same as anyone else?
At this point it looks like both.I don't see what you are getting at asking that question. What I would say is self defence should be reasonable and not excessive. The amount of force used will vary depending on a whole host of impact factors (size, health, sex etc)
Then who really gets to claim self defence? Was Martin defending himself or Zimmerman, both, neither?
The poster wasn't the one who brought up DGU's... thus it wasn't wholly irrelevant to point out that in a majority of the cases DGU was illegal.If this were a gun control thread, prejudices and agit-prop soundbites might be relevant.
True enough. But do you think any other item would have resulted in the same sudden and immediate death of TM?This is however, a thread on a death and the ensuing legal/media activities. The issues would be the same had another item been employed.
I should hope that anyone else (whatever ethinicity) would be prosecuted if the circumstances were the same as GZ was in.Do you have anything to offer on whether or not an Hispanic man should be allowed to defend himself the same as anyone else?
At this point it looks like both.
They were involved in a fistfight,and the only narrative available from the survivor is that the other person escalated that into deadly force, by trying to grab the holstered firearm.
So why the comment that Zimmerman shouldn't have the right to resort to deadly force in return?
The opinion that *this* DGU was improper was advanced as just that... an opinion.The poster wasn't the one who brought up DGU's... thus it wasn't wholly irrelevant to point out that in a majority of the cases DGU was illegal.
True enough. But do you think any other item would have resulted in the same sudden and immediate death of TM?
I should hope that anyone else (whatever ethinicity) would be prosecuted if the circumstances were the same as GZ was in.
Me too. Especially if the story GZ says is true and TM attacked him, beat him, and was reaching for his gun. In that case we need to make sure no one regardless of ethnicity can defend themselves, and that all do the proper thing, and let the other person kill them.I should hope that anyone else (whatever ethinicity) would be prosecuted if the circumstances were the same as GZ was in.
Me too. Especially if the story GZ says is true and TM attacked him, beat him, and was reaching for his gun. In that case we need to make sure no one regardless of ethnicity can defend themselves, and that all do the proper thing, and let the other person kill them.
Strawman.You don't seem to believe that the courts are the proper venue for sorting the question of someone being guilty or not. Why is that?
Me too. Especially if the story GZ says is true and TM attacked him, beat him, and was reaching for his gun. In that case we need to make sure no one regardless of ethnicity can defend themselves, and that all do the proper thing, and let the other person kill them.
You don't seem to believe that the courts are the proper venue for sorting the question of someone being guilty or not. Why is that?
Strawman.
Me too. Especially if the story GZ says is true and TM attacked him, beat him, and was reaching for his gun. In that case we need to make sure no one regardless of ethnicity can defend themselves, and that all do the proper thing, and let the other person kill them.
Your statement above is absolute. You evidently are 100% certain that GZ should be prosecuted. We have not yet seen perhaps the majority of the most important evidence, yet still you are sure that he and anyone in a similar circumstance should be prosecuted.I should hope that anyone else (whatever ethnicity) would be prosecuted if the circumstances were the same as GZ was in.
Therefore I was merely sarcastically agreeing with your point.Me too. Especially if the story GZ says is true and TM attacked him, beat him, and was reaching for his gun. In that case we need to make sure no one regardless of ethnicity can defend themselves, and that all do the proper thing, and let the other person kill them.
I didn't said I object to GZ being prosecuted. Based on the evidence I have seen so far, there is no justification for a murder 2 charge. There may be justification for a manslaughter charge but I'm withholding judgment on that until I see all of the evidence. The prosecution would have to be in possession of something monumental that no one has seen yet to justify a murder 2 charge.Then please explain what you mean with your apparent objection to prosecuting GZ.
It's probably got something to do with the fact that I think that it's not the job of prosecution to determine whether or not someone acted in self-defense. That determination is/should rightfully be the job that a court is tasked with. In order to have the courts do its job, someone like GZ needs to be prosecuted. Rather simple really.Your statement above is absolute. You evidently are 100% certain that GZ should be prosecuted. We have not yet seen perhaps the majority of the most important evidence, yet still you are sure that he and anyone in a similar circumstance should be prosecuted.
You did quite a bit more then that.Therefore I was merely sarcastically agreeing with your point.
Then your reply "Me too. Especially if the story GZ says is true and TM attacked him, beat him, and was reaching for his gun. In that case we need to make sure no one regardless of ethnicity can defend themselves, and that all do the proper thing, and let the other person kill them." makes even less sense.I didn't said I object to GZ being prosecuted.
If there was some way to *prove* that he actually knew that.If TM knew he had a gun, had been followed by him, TM had reasonable grounds to fear for his life.
It's probably got something to do with the fact that I think that it's not the job of prosecution to determine whether or not someone acted in self-defense. That determination is/should rightfully be the job that a court is tasked with. In order to have the courts do its job, someone like GZ needs to be prosecuted. Rather simple really.