Kaosium
Philosopher
- Joined
- Oct 12, 2010
- Messages
- 6,695
Um, no they had probable cause, and Franks does not apply, unless:
they can show here has it been applied specifically in the execution of a prosecutor making a charge, such as in this case.
I posted an appellate case recently from the Florida Supreme Court that showed how Franks had been applied specifically in the execution of an arrest warrant. I suspect the prosecutor is the one most likely to be held responsible for that document, regardless of whether she signed it or not. That one failed (mainly) because the objections were silly and irrelevant, I think there's a substantial possibility that might not turn out to be the case in this instance when all is said and done.
SCOTUS rulings and appeals ruling have specific applications, it may be that Frank applies here, but where is the precedent?
The fourth amendment does matter, but they have yet to show anything that would apply to Corey in this specific. What Corey did is common practice in Florida and there would be many successful appeals based upon Frank, where are they? Or do you think this will be the first, it may well be.
I don't know if there is a specific precedent or not, but I do know that (as you allowed) it's not necessarily required and also that were I to come up with one it would likely take time to become relevant anyway. It just so happens I spent a great deal of time recently here and (mostly) elsewhere delving through legal minutia and at this instant don't feel like doing so. That doesn't preclude me doing it in the future.
At this juncture I am uncertain that what Corey did (in totality) is in fact common practice in Florida, if one takes into account the actual facts of the case, which in my view will be considered divorced from the representations in the APC once those actual facts of the case are legally established in court. I suspect the judge (and others) are naturally inclined for very good reasons to wait for that to occur, which makes sense if you think about it, but also suggests that it will take them longer to come to the correct conclusion if I (and Alan Dershowitz) am right regardless. I'm not talking only about nitpicks or 'fudges' that might be considered irrelevant or within the operating parameters of a system that must function when operated by humans, I'm especially talking about the complete absence of the physical evidence in the APC regarding the fight that almost certainly lead to TM's death. My suspicion is that in the final analysis more people will think that relevant than they do now and there might just be...consequences.
I also think by that time it is possible that the APC might be considered 'small potatoes' compared to subsequent (and possibly past!) events when considering how long this particular prosecutor should be jailed for her crimes.
But seriously, a judge is going to try to avoid appeals if at all possible, so why would they not have done so?
I would suspect there might be factors such as those I suggested above and others that lead to the fact that the affirmation rate of appeals to federal courts have been in recent history (outside the fallout from Booker) roughly 80%, not 100%. However we will see!