Going down for what? Please be specific.
Abuse of power, and specifically it might well be this affidavit, though she and her friends might produce more before this ordeal is complete. As it stands, in my view we're still at the 'appalling vista' stage, most aren't quite capable of easily contemplating the distinct possibility there's not going to be any more evidence of murder than there was evidence of gang-rape in the Duke Lacrosse case. If that happens I suspect there will be consequences, and filing an affidavit that alleged murder without
bothering with the physical evidence of the fight which by all accounts was directly responsible for the shot being fired, is fraudulent. There was significant
evidence of that fight on the persons of Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman, evidence which doesn't suggest the most likely cause of TM's death was George Zimmerman murdering him in a depraved mind.
I'm sorry to inform you the irony is all in your head. You've manufactured a rather ridiculous straw man that doesn't even remotely approach anything I've argued.
Oh, c'mon! That was
banter not a 'straw man.' A straw man is an actual
argument and it's pointless to do because all one has done is 'defeated' (displayed!) their own misunderstanding/ignorance for all the world to see.
I don't have to personally approve of Corey, or "defend" her as you have erroneously accused me of doing, in order to request evidence of her wrongdoing.
Fair enough, however I and others haven't been exactly shy about what is considered evidence of her wrongdoing either, expecting a citizen's arrest is probably a little much!
If she's actually guilty of illegal or unethical behavior than it should be relatively easy to point out what that behavior is, and explain why no one in a position of power or oversight has done anything to stop.
At this point there might well be the expectation from many that she'll be able to produce evidence of her charge and should be given the chance (or enough rope...) to make good on her charge. I tend to doubt that however, I don't think there's
room for legitimate evidence of murder in this case. This is not a complicated event, there's a plethora of evidence available starting with GZ's 911 call, then picked up by other 911 callers and witnesses within literally minutes and the police there almost instantaneously after the shot was fired. Absent video cameras or dedicated audio you're not going to find many 'murder' scenarios this well documented.
As a result I suspect the APC might not be the beginning of her unethical dealings in this case, nor for that matter does it appear to be confined to this one difficult case. It's hardly just Alan Deshowitz who has concerns regarding this prosecutor, look at what a former ABA and FSU president had to
say:
Topher Sanders Florida Times-Union 3/26/12 said:
Sandy D’Alemberte, former president of the American Bar Association and former president of Florida State University, criticized Scott’s selection of Corey for the Martin case.
“I cannot imagine a worse choice for a prosecutor to serve in the Sanford case,” D’Alemberte said in an email. “There is nothing in Angela Corey’s background that suits her for this task, and she cannot command the respect of people who care about justice.”
That's hardly it, the whole article is worth reading, and there's certainly additional grounds to criticize her, so much so that when I first looked into it I discounted half of what I read--then found out that many of the 'unbelievable' things were actually true and what I wrote off as sour grapes or personality conflicts might well have been justified. It confirms more and more my suspicion this is an unhinged loose-cannon prosecutor who 'rose' to the occasion and made a ridiculous case against TM and
quite possibly has done similar things in past cases. I think rooting around her conviction record might well be fertile grounds for those looking for miscarriages of justice, especially those involving minority defendants.
As such, going by the APC and other curious dealings since (I would not be terribly surprised if she charges GZ's
wife at the next hearing) and the past plethora of excesses and detractors I would expect the pattern to continue. This judge so far seems amenable to her 'style' and may very well give her enough rope to hang herself, perhaps even inadvertently. Until then all one can do is keep track of what she's doing and what she's done and see how long it takes those power brokers playing the political game to get some cojones, or one honest (wo)man with the authority to bring her to heel.
Or maybe she
does have evidence of George Zimmerman murdering Trayvon Martin and this is just all part of her 'eccentric' but effective 'style' and she'll be able to produce in court that which has not come out in discovery. However, if she garners a conviction with the 'theory' advanced in the APC she may 'win'--but she'll never be right. Relief will come eventually, that APC itself is likely grounds for appeal not only directly but also with writs of
habeas corpus, both state and (eventually) federal.
Here's an interesting appellate case that illustrates what the standards are in the State of Florida for meaningful errors. That case failed because the 'grounds' were silly little things like whether the money raised at a church bake sale was 'small' or not, 'errors' like whether the appellant had been convicted of 'robbery' or
armed robbery (he insisted on the latter! I'm not making this up!) one or
four months ago. However it did suggest what sort of errors that would be considered significant, notably:
Florida SC CASE NO. 66 said:
that there was no deliberate falsity or reckless disregard by the investigating police agencies. Here, at best, there was a possible negligence or innocent mistake concerning a blood typing and evidence on that regard.
Moreover, assuming arguendo, there even was a falsity or disregard, there remains sufficient contents within the warrant affidavit to support a finding of probable cause.
My guess would be that failing to include the
physical evidence of the fight that directly preceded the shot would be a lot closer to 'deliberate falsity or reckless disregard' than a mistake in the APC regarding blood type that matched anyway in reality. I also suspect that an appellate court might look askance regarding whether there was
ever sufficient contents in the affidavit to support a finding of probable cause for Murder 2. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but I do think making such egregious errors in the APC likely a strong indication of just how the rest of the trial might go.
So while I don't (any longer) expect anything to happen to end this farce soon, I do suspect it will be eventually decided in the favor of George Zimmerman, and until then one can keep track of Angela Corey's errors and threats and see just how long it takes someone to eventually realize what they're dealing with and be able to do something about it. Politics, which perverts virtue with a thousand cunning tricks must play its part as well I suspect.