Thanks, Furcifer - sorry for the snark, as I was on my way out to go shop hunting and in a rush.
Below will be a long rambling post. I kept wanting to interject, but when I found the time to post something, the thread had gone ahead another fifty posts. I decided this afternoon to just respond where I felt I should. The rest of the story....
Next up:
The politics of the IWC. Simply put, the original International Whaling Commission (or its predecessor) was made up of whaling nations. Some of those (USA, Australia, NZ - notably) have actually turned away from whaling for ecological reasons and because there just wasn't any great demand for the products and byproducts, IMHO.
The anti-whaling coalition (if it was that) realized it was never going to get the a majority of the whaling nations to go for a moratorium or ban, so began a process of lobbying to get non-whaling even landlocked nations onto the commission. Once that happened and you could have Liechtenstein, Switzerland Mongolia, etc... in there, the question became... "What do we do with these new members?" Simple, if you listen to Japan and their supporters. You buy their votes with other favors (I think the USA is accused of buying China's votes with a trade deal of some sort, can't remember the details).
And that's how you got a large group of non-whaling nations who call themselves the Int'l Whaling Commission to vote against the actual whaling nations. Only in the past decade did Japan realize how neatly this worked and started offering massive foreign aid to countries who have no whaling interests,.... in exchange for... you guessed it... supporting votes on the commission.
The whole situation is rife with politics. Rife? Contaminated, festering,... you name it.
Sustainability? Hard to say. The anti-whaling coalition accuses Japan and Norway of both miscounting (or misusing the counts of others in the case of Japan) the Minke population so that they can harvest more. The pro-whaling nations (and their stooges voting with them) accuse the anti-whalers and the IWC of lowering the Minke count, changing it from month to month to suit their own purposes, and then stalling and delaying year after year so they couldn't come to any sort of numerical conclusion as to what might be a viable number to extract yet still sustain a viable population of the species. That, I believe, was when Norway and Iceland upped the ante and said, "Hey, we object originally. We're now formally exercising that objection and you can go suck an egg."
Both sides are probably both right. Festering with politics, indeed.
Meh? I like whales. I want them alive and well and their population growing. I can't see any real need to give Ryokan his whale steak when the process seems so damned unnecessary. (Nothing against Ryokan - Mr. Nagura in Osaka could be substituted if you wish. Ryokan just happened to speak up, here.)
But that's the gist of my stand on this. I will take the emotional argument and I'm entitled to do so, opinions being opinions and all that. But I will not pretend that I think the "science" backs me fully, nor will I come down on the side of the total banners who try to base it on doomsday scare tactics. I feel that if they're just simply against killing whales,.... just say so. Quit trying to couch it in other terms.
And Paul Watson is a jerk. Eco-terrorism is not something I can support. And while Bethune is every bit as radical in his approach to the topic, he seems to have made some serious points against Watson in their battles, particularly that Watson is a liar and manipulator. (See "Bows and Arrows" for one.)
When Watson published their email exchange I find it notable that he didn't refute or debunk anything Bethune claimed. He merely kept calling him a stool pigeon and turncoat. I suggest reading Bethune first (it's lower on the page) and while he sounds a bit petty and more than a bit paranoid, he makes some very specific accusations. Watson responded within three hours but made no effort to refute those specific accusations. I'm quite surprised he thinks this makes him look good.
http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and...re-the-letters-that-caused-all-this-drama-127
Ady Gil (there is a person of that name - a major donor to Sea Shepherd) is on record as believing Bethune. Bethune, himself, has not turned pro-whaling nor changed his radical approach. His stand is that they are so right that there's no need to manipulate the truth or lie about things. Bethune, to any who are totally pro-whaling, is far from a saint. And, to be honest, I have to say I have my misgiving, too. While apparently everyone at Sea Shepherd signed on to it, the bows-and-arrows were apparently his idea. That's some pretty dirty pool, right there and it gives me pause as to whether his comments about lying and manipulating are quite so sincere.