• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Founder of Sea Shepherd Arrested in Germany

What about seal clubbing? I find that repulsive but I would never support an organization that tries to ram vehicles carrying the pelts of clubbed seals with another truck.

It'd also horribly inefficient. If you want your quota and preserve pelts, you have to shoot.


In the Canadian commercial seal hunt, the majority of the hunters initiate the kill using a firearm. Ninety percent of sealers on the ice floes of the Front (east of Newfoundland), where the majority of the hunt occurs, use firearms.

Clubbing each one to death would be very exhausting if you're not doing it out of tradition.
 
a matter of consistency

And what does that have to do with the Steve Irwin's frequent and deliberate collisions with other vessels and fishing structures, also discussed upthread?
If it is wrong for the Sea Shephards to ram vessels, then it is wrong for the Japanese ship to ram another vessel. They put the lives of the crew of the Ady Gil at risk, IMO.
 
If it is wrong for the Sea Shephards to ram vessels, then it is wrong for the Japanese ship to ram another vessel. They put the lives of the crew of the Ady Gil at risk, IMO.

They absolutely did. It could have been an awful tragedy. Awful tragedies are always a risk when an aggressive vessel rams another vessel that's not actually doing anything wrong.
 
I had no idea who he was so I read the wiki article:


These organizations get along about as well as the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea.



I'm genuinely curious: What do you see as such a huge distinction between what the Inuit do and what the Japanese do? One you respect and the other you abhor. Is it just the guise of "research"?

The guise of "research" has a lot to do with it, yes. If the Japanese could somehow convince me that their whaling is in any way akin to what the Inuit do, I may even change my mind.

But seeing as though they enjoy slaughtering (See Taiji) I'm not gonna hold my breath. They are contemptable.
 
I'd also like to see Sea Shepherd come up with some numbers as far as whales actually saved and so forth. Is there an actual dollars-to-results conservation plan in place, or is it closer to the truth to say that all the concerned fans are unwittingly just paying the fuel tab so this guy can yacht around the world and throw stink bombs at the occasional "whaling" ship/run over the occasional tuna fisherman?

I mean this guy gets his boat and rams a Japanese whaler and it's claimed that this is "doing something"; but what really happened? Did the whaler stop and turn around and say "okay, we quit"?

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

He's taking our money and fueling a pleasure cruise with our money....


IN THE ANTARCTIC

Okee doke. Hellova spot. Me? I'd have chosen Bermuda but I'm goofy like that.
 
Last edited:
Nobody's ever died.

Only by pure luck. So far, everyone has "made their saving throws" to use a D&D term. It's only a matter of time before someone rolls snake-eyes and is in the wrong place at the wrong time, and ends up getting killed.
Whether its one of their own crew, or someone else's...eventually their luck will run out.

Here's a partial list of some of the potentially fatal activities the crew of Sea Shepherd has engaged in:

- The intentional ramming of other vessels.

- Attempting to start fires on other vessels using flares.

- Charging through an ice field in a ship that's not rated for ice.

- Launching their zodiac small boats while traveling at top speed.

- Recovering their zodiac small boats while traveling at top speed.

- Charging headlong into a dangerous storm rather than go around it, just to save time.

- Leaving the crew of their zodiac small boats 50 miles from their ship, so they almost die of hypothermia.

If they continue to take such risks...eventually it will come back to bite them in the ass, and they will kill one of their own or someone on another boat.
 
And? The Inuit are perfectly able to patronize supermarkets. It would not be "traditional" food, but it is available; which is the point: the Inuit don't have to take whales and seals; they just want to, because of "tradition" - the same reason cited by the Japanese.

I don't see your point here, I don't agree with whaling, period. You asked what the difference was, I told you, if you don't like my answer take it up with them, there's very little point arguing the toss with me
:confused:
 
Last edited:
I don't see your point here, I don't agree with whaling, period. You asked what the difference was, I told you, if you don't like my answer take it up with them, there's very little point arguing the toss with me
:confused:

I'm confused too...maybe you can explain your position. What makes whales so special? I'm not talking about the one's that are on the endangered species list. I'm talking about species like the Menke whales the Japaneses are hunting...they aren't endangered. Why is it wrong to kill a whale vs. a tuna? or a crab...or a lobster...or a trout...or a salmon?
 
I'm confused too...maybe you can explain your position. What makes whales so special? I'm not talking about the one's that are on the endangered species list. I'm talking about species like the Menke whales the Japaneses are hunting...they aren't endangered. Why is it wrong to kill a whale vs. a tuna? or a crab...or a lobster...or a trout...or a salmon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentience

It'd be great in a few years when we can finally communicate with them and the first thing they say is "you murdered my family"

I guess for me, the only reason is that its unnecessary. Its primitive thinking too, kill because we can. not because we need to, I hate primitive thinking, it goes hand in hand with bigotry and organised religion imho
that and Star Trek 4
;)

not really relevant, but a factor to me is that I like dragons, whales originated that mythology, so I'd hate to see the creatures responsible hunted
 
Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentience

It'd be great in a few years when we can finally communicate with them and the first thing they say is "you murdered my family"

I guess for me, the only reason is that its unnecessary. Its primitive thinking too, kill because we can. not because we need to, I hate primitive thinking, it goes hand in hand with bigotry and organised religion imho
that and Star Trek 4
;)

not really relevant, but a factor to me is that I like dragons, whales originated that mythology, so I'd hate to see the creatures responsible hunted

So...basically it's an emotional response. You like whales, and don't want to see them killed, but you could care less about lesser sea creatures. How is killing a whale for it's meat and blubber any different than killing a cow for its meat and leather?

Please explain why killing this guy is wrong:
minkewhale.jpg


but it's perfectly ok to kill this guy:

Thanksgiving7.jpg


Or these guys:

Thanksgiving6.jpg
 
Last edited:
So...basically it's an emotional response. You like whales, and don't want to see them killed, but you could care less about lesser sea creatures. How is killing a whale for it's meat and blubber any different than killing a cow for its meat and leather?

none of my post contained an emotional response
:rolleyes:
I gave you three reasons
1. because they are sentient
2. because its wasteful
3. because our culture is already endebted to them

for the record, I don't eat any seafood, for emotional reasons
:p
 
HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

He's taking our money and fueling a pleasure cruise with our money....


IN THE ANTARCTIC

Okee doke. Hellova spot. Me? I'd have chosen Bermuda but I'm goofy like that.

Yeah, hey - that video where the big Sea Shepherd ship is repeatedly ramming that offshore fishing rig? Not quite the Antarctic. That thing he just got arrested for? The place where that incident happened? Not quite the Antarctic. That incident that got him expelled from Iceland? Not quite the Antarctic. And et cetera.
 
So...basically it's an emotional response. You like whales, and don't want to see them killed, but you could care less about lesser sea creatures. How is killing a whale for it's meat and blubber any different than killing a cow for its meat and leather?

Please explain why killing this guy is wrong:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46946106/minkewhale.jpg

but it's perfectly ok to kill this guy:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i41/macgyver1968a/Thanksgiving7.jpg

Or these guys:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i41/macgyver1968a/Thanksgiving6.jpg
I don't have a concrete opinion on the subject. However, whales have measurable cognitive abilities that cows do not. While it is still somewhat controversial there is strong evidence to favor the proposition that they demonstrate self awareness. They have brain structures that are relatively larger than all other great apes save be it for humans and the brain structures have a complexity second only to humans.
 
So...basically it's an emotional response. You like whales, and don't want to see them killed, but you could care less about lesser sea creatures. How is killing a whale for it's meat and blubber any different than killing a cow for its meat and leather?

In my view this is an attempt at foisting the burden of proof on to the other side. It should be your job to demonstrate why it's ethical to kill a whale when there is no economic or scientific need to do so, and while whale populations are far below their pre-whaling level (there's some clever sophistry involved in focusing discussion whether the population is "sustainable", meaning it's not quite on the threshold of extinction, and acting as if this is the optimal level).

Maybe if you thought about it for a while you might be able to figure some differences between harpooning large, intelligent, social mammals with a long lifespan and a dangerously low population in the wild and killing relatively unintelligent crustaceans, say, or humanely killing domesticated mammals from a vast population that would not exist except for human agriculture in a specially designed slaughterhouse. Maybe. I'll let you mull over the two situations for a while and see if you can figure out just one or two ways in which it just might be different.

If they'e going to kill whales (and there's no justification for it, morally, scientifically or economically) they should be killing minkes. They're a relatively dumb, solitary predator. Killing the large, social whales in the wild just for the benefit of the Japanese whaling industry is utterly indefensible.
 
none of my post contained an emotional response
:rolleyes:
I gave you three reasons
1. because they are sentient
2. because its wasteful
3. because our culture is already endebted to them

Where is the evidence whales are sentient? And don't cite Sea Shepherd.
 
none of my post contained an emotional response
:rolleyes:
I gave you three reasons
1. because they are sentient
2. because its wasteful
3. because our culture is already endebted to them

for the record, I don't eat any seafood, for emotional reasons
:p

How do you know they are sentient? How was this determined? Do whales exhibit problem solving skills like great apes?

How is it wasteful?...ever part of the whale is used...the meat is eaten...the blubber is used for fuel, the guts are used for animal feed, no part goes to waste.

How are we indebted to whales? Other than being majestic...what have they done for us? Aside from providing food and fuel for generations of people?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom