johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
- Joined
- Jan 12, 2007
- Messages
- 18,821
I think Crumb could make it fit into "hate crime".
I like how you took something ridiculous O'Mara said and turned it into a swipe at Crump.
Well played.
I think Crumb could make it fit into "hate crime".
I like how you took something ridiculous O'Mara said and turned it into a swipe at Crump.
Well played.
I like how you manufacture claims.
"Pandering" was your word:
So? It's not illegal to hate, nor should it be.I'm not so sure it couldn't be classed as hate.
It's obviously supposed to represent a young black male, let alone that it obviously represents TM.
And that is the crux, they can turn over the case to the SAs prior to the completion of all analysis.Why wouldn't further analysis be the responsibility of the Sanford PD? They are the ones investigating the crime. I'm not suggesting they do the analysis themselves. I'm suggesting they use that analysis in their investigation.
In this case they had a suspect, and on the face of the evidence they decided not to make an arrest and handed the case over to the SA's office. I do not know how further analysis would be routed, probably to both the SPD and the SA's office, on a guess.Let me offer a generic example.
Suppose there has been a murder. Police gather forensic evidence such as blood, fingerprints, hair, and bullet casings. This evidence is sent to a lab to be analyzed.
What happens next?
Does the crime lab send their results to some other investigative body besides the police?
If another suspect is indicated then I would guess the SPD would open the case and proceed to gather further evidence on that suspect.And then what happens? Suppose the analysis of the forensic evidence yields positive results or even points to a suspect. What's the next step in the process if those results are not sent to the police for them to continue their investigation?
And I clarified my statements as well.You actually did state further evidence was being gathered:
I know you don’t want to understand my clarification of my statements, further analysis of evidence gathered, may not be part of the SPD's investigation.If you want to backpedal from your previous statements, that's certainly your prerogative.
And since they contradict the facts, I don't blame you.And if you want to call my clarification 'backpedaling' that is your choice, it sure does not help your argument any.
Then start discussing and avoid the embellishment with rhetoric. I could go and finds all your rhetorical statements and trolling attempts.But please don't accuse me of semantic arguments or trolling, or pretend it's a misapprehension on my part when I can directly quote you saying the things you claim not to have said.
More the forensic analysis of the physical evidence gathered.According to what you are saying about it, what was left out of the Sanford PD investigation is, quite obviously, the forensic evidence.
because they had done their investigation and turned it over to the SA's office.My reasoning for thinking the Sanford PD would use this evidence in their investigation is because I cannot for the life of me fathom why they wouldn't.
It would depend, the evidence indicated they had a single suspect who acted alone, what further evidence is there to gather?You seem to be suggesting that the police merely gather evidence and do absolutely no follow-up work beyond that.
Now there you are making extreme statements rather than engaging in a discussion, you can do better.If the police find a fingerprint at the scene of the crime, apparently they simply turn that in for analysis and walk away forever, never to find out what that fingerprint analysis yielded.
I honestly have no idea how this makes any sense.
I have stated that if evidence is further analyzed it may be done without it being part of the SPD's investigation.
The case is turned over to the SA's office while evidence is being analyzed.
By who? Under whose purview was this analysis being done between the time the Sanford PD had completed their investigation and the state attorney's office started their review?
Again, under whose purview? The police had completed their investigation. The state attorney's office had yet to begin theirs. Whose investigation was this evidence analysis a part of?
OK if the police did a thorough investigation, then why did the Police Chief resign? What were his reasons?
(Also, I mean the first time he tried to resign (mid to late March), not a month later when they accepted it (mid to late April).)
I remember possibly he was ashamed of his remarks or something...
ETA: It appears the first time was after a no confidence vote:
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...-Evidence-Testimony-Chief-Says-143712316.html
I'm still not sure about the exact reasons.
As to the re-investigation, no investigation is perfect, all of them can have areas that can be improved, lines of investigation that could have been followed and weren't because they weren't considered necessary, or it was assumed that they wouldn't shed new light on what they already had.
I am baffled about the claims that SPD did not do an investigation, or did an inadequate investigation.
As far as I can tell, they did a normal thorough investigation of a shooting, even with GZ's self defense claim.
The SPD investigation was still going on.
Yes, thank you.
From the start, my point was that statements like this:
Are in contradiction to statements like this:
On one hand, the Sanford PD are above reproach. How dare anyone criticize their adequate and thorough investigation.
On the other hand, the case was unfairly taken way from them before they could finish the investigation.
You can't have it both ways. Either the case was thoroughly investigated or it wasn't. And thorough investigations - by definition - don't require further investigation.
And no one is saying the initial investigation has to be perfect. All I'm arguing for is the possibility that it wasn't perfect, and perhaps it was warranted to have another agency take it over.
For some reason, this seems to be a highly controversial position.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...rosecutor-angela-corey-evidence-rachel-fugate<snip>According to the documents, prosecutors also have new video evidence from the night of the shooting — both from the 7-Eleven store where Trayvon purchased Skittles and Arizona iced tea, and from the clubhouse of Retreat at Twin Lakes, the apartment complex where the teen was killed.
Other video evidence, which shows Zimmerman being taken into Sanford Police Department headquarters after the shooting, has already been made public. Crime scene photos of both Zimmerman and the teen are also listed in the documents filed Monday.
Also included in the evidence, according to the new filing, are phone records — Zimmerman's from Feb. 21 to Feb. 26 and from March 7 to March 22, Trayvon's from Jan. 1 through March 1, and those of an unnamed witness labeled "W8" from Feb. 26 through April 2. Zimmerman's medical records and Trayvon's autopsy report are listed, as are records of Zimmerman's 2005 arrest and domestic-violence injunctions.
The list includes 56 audio-recorded statements. One witness, identified as W6, one of the 911 callers, gave four statements to authorities about the shooting, two to Sanford police, one to FDLE and one to the prosecution's lead trial attorney, Bernie de la Rionda.
Another witness, W8, gave two statements, one to Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Trayvon's family, and one to de la Rionda, which suggests W8 may be the girl described by Crump as Trayvon's girlfriend.
Other primary witnesses include four FDLE investigators and three investigators from the office of state attorney Norm Wolfinger plus two from Corey's office, including Dale Gilbreath, who hand-delivered the motion to Seminole County clerks about 20 minutes before their doors closed for the day Monday.
Five fire-rescue personnel are listed as secondary witnesses. So are a fingerprints expert with Sanford police, and the following FDLE experts: a firearms specialist, DNA expert, trace evidence expert and fingerpprints expert.
Also listed as witnesses are a New Jersey forensics expert, two employees with the Volusia County medical examiner's office and a pair of Federal Bureau of Investigation audio experts.
Yes, thank you.
On one hand, the Sanford PD are above reproach. How dare anyone criticize their adequate and thorough investigation.
On the other hand, the case was unfairly taken way from them before they could finish the investigation.
You can't have it both ways. Either the case was thoroughly investigated or it wasn't. And thorough investigations - by definition - don't require further investigation.
And no one is saying the initial investigation has to be perfect. All I'm arguing for is the possibility that it wasn't perfect, and perhaps it was warranted to have another agency take it over.
For some reason, this seems to be a highly controversial position.
Update:
George Zimmerman prosecutors file list of witnesses, evidence in Trayvon Martin shooting
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...rosecutor-angela-corey-evidence-rachel-fugate
I'm not really agreeing with you, I think you are playing word police.
It is going to depend on what "adequate and thorough" mean. Technically it's hard to have something both "adequate and thorough" as adequate means that it has managed to reach acceptable level but could have been better, while thorough means that something has been done completely with nothing outstanding. They are sort of different ends of the done spectrum.
There is a difference between a case not having been investigated down to the last dot on the last "i", and having done such a shoddy job that they deserve it to have been taken off them. I think this is the issue. The SPD certainly appears at face value to have done an adequate job, possibly even a pretty good job and were happy they had an understanding of what occurred. Public pressure forced them to take a second look at it to see if they did get it wrong, and then before they could finish rechecking, further public pressure resulted in the case being taken off them.
This is why I'm suggesting you are being a word policeman on this one, unlike other words used, "thorough" isn't a loaded word. That said, it's probably not the best word; I'd prefer "adequate" or "good" myself. I'd also argue that even thorough investigations do need to be re-investigated just to make sure that they were, especially when they come under public scrutiny. Saying, "But we did a thorough job the first time" tends to act like a non-Mythbusters lead balloon, whereas if you tell the public that you'll look at it again even though you are pretty sure the job you did first time was good, you tend to get off the hook a bit.
Look at it this way. You do a job for your Boss, you think you have done everything required and completed it at an exceptional level. He disagrees and thinks you missed something important and need to look at it again. Do you stand on your dig that you got it right first time and don't have to check it over, or do you go and do it?
Mainly because the difference between "not perfect" and "warranting another agency taking it over" is pretty big, and for the other agency to act before the SPD has even finished its rechecking smacks of political interference. Beerina makes a good point there. If you re-check things based just on them being non-perfect investigations, every single investigation ever done should be re-checked and taken over.
Update:
George Zimmerman prosecutors file list of witnesses, evidence in Trayvon Martin shooting
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...rosecutor-angela-corey-evidence-rachel-fugate