Iron maiden.You believe that some human inventions are "just plain bad" ? I think that some human inventions can easily be misused, and for other inventions we haven't found much use for. But I can't think of any that are "just plain bad".
I am well aware than in the cultures which practice cliterodectomy it serves an important social function, and from their viewpoint is a good thing. That does not make it a good thing.It is even harder to look at a culture that one might think is "just plain bad" and recognise aspects that make it understandable that the people living that culture consider it good. It is easy to dismiss things without actually considering them, but that is not the way to understand a culture.
I can think of a lot of things I would consider bad, like guns and bombs, but no matter what I think of there will be people insisting the thing I consider bad is not merely not bad but actually really really good. Since there is no objective standard for what is good or bad, I can't prove them wrong.Iron maiden.
Slavery.
Gas chambers.
Genital mutilation.
Need more examples?
The fact that we might think it is a bad thing does not make it a bad thing. You are appealing to an objective standard of good and bad that does not exist.I am well aware than in the cultures which practice cliterodectomy it serves an important social function, and from their viewpoint is a good thing. That does not make it a good thing.
The fact that we might think it is a bad thing does not make it a bad thing. You are appealing to an objective standard of good and bad that does not exist.
I guess that's the difference between you and me. I think objective standards of good and bad do exist, or at least can be derived by measuring effects a given item/action/concept has on human beings.I can think of a lot of things I would consider bad, like guns and bombs, but no matter what I think of there will be people insisting the thing I consider bad is not merely not bad but actually really really good. Since there is no objective standard for what is good or bad, I can't prove them wrong.
The fact that we might think it is a bad thing does not make it a bad thing. You are appealing to an objective standard of good and bad that does not exist.
Which dovetails with with this thread, also started by Humes_ForkI guess that's the difference between you and me. I think objective standards of good and bad do exist, or at least can be derived by measuring effects a given item/action/concept has on human beings.
With no objective moral standard then it is not a bad thing, not a good thing and also not a neutral thing.Therefore it's not a bad thing right?
Asking for my subjective opinion is not the same thing as showing there is an objective standard. It is entirely possible that one some issue my subjective opinion is similar to your subjective opinion, without the existence of an objective standard.Would you like the whole world to start doing it then?
Come back when moral objectivists/realist/absolutists have organised a conference and have agreed upon some of those "objective standards of good and bad" or at the very least some standard by which such standards can be derived. Right now it seems there is very little agreement among them; almost as if all their "objective moralities" are just a bunch of opinions.I guess that's the difference between you and me. I think objective standards of good and bad do exist, or at least can be derived by measuring effects a given item/action/concept has on human beings.
Germany was after World War 2 reduced to rubble. It was far worse affected by the war than any colonialism that affected the Middle East. Yet today Germany is prosperous, the Middle East not so much (despite the oil). How can anyone suggest that culture plays no role?
Um, I would consider Qatar and the UAE as being as much as or possibly even more prosperous than Germany. The citizens of these countries live pretty enviable lives.
As a majority, that statement holds true. Minus the upper echelon and the ex-pats that thrive in those two aforementioned countries. The distribution of wealth in the ME overall is significantly worse than seen in Germany, in addition to the most obvious issue, democratic values.Um, I would consider Qatar and the UAE as being as much as or possibly even more prosperous than Germany. The citizens of these countries live pretty enviable lives.
I'm surprised that people are reluctant to accept the role of culture in the story of a society's success or failure when it's so obvious if you look at what societies have succeeded and failed in the 20th century. . . .
Germany was after World War 2 reduced to rubble. It was far worse affected by the war than any colonialism that affected the Middle East. Yet today Germany is prosperous, the Middle East not so much (despite the oil). How can anyone suggest that culture plays no role?
There is one exception in the Middle East however, and its name is Israel. . . .
Sure, there are a few exceptions, but you are looking at the details and missing the whole picture.
The citizens in these countries have way fewer political rights than Germans.
Yet Qatar and the UAE are from the same culture as Saudi Arabia and Yemen. So give an Arab culture wealth and opportunity and they’ve showed they can do great things with it.
African culture is not monolithic, it cannot be the main reason for the problems.
total cow cookies. We were just better-armed.Every invention, discovery and idea in the last 500 years comes from the West.
That makes it superior. The West could do things that other cultures couldn't even dream of.
total cow cookies. We were just better-armed.
When the French controlled West Africa, they made every effort to sdee that the native cultures did not develop in the same way that the French did. They did not even allow the deevelopment of industries in the occupied countries.
Africa existed to supply France with gold and peanuts. France was expected to sell them manufactured goods in exchange for the money they made selling gold and peanuts.
Worked perfectly, for the French.
And where were those of our ancestors who made the transition from being illiterate spear-chuckers when they made the transition to civilization? Were they in contact with more advanced cultures or surrounded by backward jungle bunnies and camel jockeys?99.9% culture.
fifyWhy were the French in Africa and not the Africans in France? Because the French could and the Africans couldn't. Reason?Superior culture.FIREPOWER
What does this have to do with Africa's current predicament? Not much, except to underscore the fact that the West can do things that other cultural paradigms can't.
fify