• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trayvon Martin, Vigilante Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zimmerman knew the money was there and DID NOT disclose it.

He spent nearly 50K already of it.

It seems to me he had a duty to disclose it, as the potential indigency was discussed.

I doubt like hell O'Mara didn't know it, and if he didn't inquire - he's pretty freakin' stupid.
 
I think it's more about the fact his lawyer spent the better part of the morning in the Bond hearing trying to declare Z near indigent, and questioned his family even about being able to liquidate to get funds up for bail....etc. etc..

and all the while knowing there was 200,000k+ that was not disclosed.

That's sort of an issue.

Part of the reason he was able to get a low bond was because of his sadly lil financial status.

Courts don't like that kind of ****.

It's worthy of a sanction, in the opinion of many.

Some judges would revoke bond (though I doubt this one, he appears very sympathetic to the defense) .

It's not a problem that he had the money - it's that he didn't disclose the amount.

Get it?

Is it not possible that the judge is better suited to understand the importance of this and you are making a mountain out of a molehill? I wonder where on the form there's a line for 'contributions from people you don't know on a paypal account.'

What's more interesting is how it seems to concern the prosecution. ;)
 
Zimmerman knew the money was there and DID NOT disclose it.

He spent nearly 50K already of it.

It seems to me he had a duty to disclose it, as the potential indigency was discussed.

I doubt like hell O'Mara didn't know it, and if he didn't inquire - he's pretty freakin' stupid.

We don't know what he spent.

When I take money out of a paypal account, it doesn't necessarily mean I have spent it.

O'mara is gathering info and some of the funds removed form the Paypal account, and will have a wrap up later.

George immediately gathered the funds that were in either his or his wife’s account, or the PayPal account, and has forwarded those funds to me presently. We are still awaiting a check from the PayPal company which takes several days.
 
I think it's more about the fact his lawyer spent the better part of the morning in the Bond hearing trying to declare Z near indigent, and questioned his family even about being able to liquidate to get funds up for bail....etc. etc..

and all the while knowing there was 200,000k+ that was not disclosed.

So AC won't lie about a capias, but O'mara lies about this ? :rolleyes:

I think it's called playing your cards close to the vest, right ?

That's sort of an issue.

Part of the reason he was able to get a low bond was because of his sadly lil financial status.
Is that according to the judge, or according to you ?

Courts don't like that kind of ****.

It's worthy of a sanction, in the opinion of many.

Some judges would revoke bond (though I doubt this one, he appears very sympathetic to the defense) .

Your posts were much less one sided earlier.

It's not a problem that he had the money - it's that he didn't disclose the amount.

Get it?

No, I'm not sure I do. Is there a check box or a general question about defense funds ? Could it be that he was not asked, and did not volunteer the info ?
 
Non disclosure of funds when the topic is your potential indigence in a court hearing should concern most people who have in interest.
 
1.Zimmerman knew the money was there and DID NOT disclose it.

2. He spent nearly 50K already of it.

3. It seems to me he had a duty to disclose it, as the potential indigency was discussed.

4. I doubt like hell O'Mara didn't know it, and if he didn't inquire - he's pretty freakin' stupid.
You managed to make 2 out of 4 sentences/statements there that you don't know for sure, and also contradict yourself in two of them.

1. Yes, this has been established. Unless we think Omara is lying. Possible, but unlikely.
2. This has not been established, as I've indicated above, we don't know what the money situation is but it's certainly something that would be interesting to know.
3. You got one right.
4. Now you can't even agree with yourself since this contradicts #1.
 
Last edited:
This is also inaccurate even though some people keep saying it. In fact, his bond was fairly typical considering the charges, and bond is not chosen by a judge merely based on how much money someone has. Whether GZ was a millionaire or homeless, that is likely what the bond would have been set at based on the charges as long as he was not deemed a flight risk.

It is inaccurate only in that people are using the wrong terminology. The $150,000 bond was not unusual, nor chosen because of Zimmerman's financial status. However, as I understand it the decision that Zimmerman was able to be released after his family put up only 10% of the bond was based in some part on Zimmerman's supposed inability to pay.

ETA: As an aside, I seem to remember reading that Zimmerman's family claimed to have difficulty coming up with even the amount of bond money they did pay. I'm curious what they had to do in order to secure that money; if Zimmerman had enough cash to cover his entire bond and still have over $50k left over I can't imagine why he would silently stand by while his family probably strained to scrape a few thousand dollars together for him.
 
Last edited:
Is it not possible that the judge is better suited to understand the importance of this and you are making a mountain out of a molehill? I wonder where on the form there's a line for 'contributions from people you don't know on a paypal account.'

What's more interesting is how it seems to concern the prosecution. ;)
More to the point, filling out a form to declare indigent status is part of requesting a court appointed attorney. I don't recall seeing where Zimmerman made any such request of this judge.
 
It is inaccurate only in that people are using the wrong terminology. The $150,000 bond was not unusual, nor chosen because of Zimmerman's financial status. However, as I understand it the decision that Zimmerman was able to be released after his family put up only 10% of the bond was based in some part on Zimmerman's supposed inability to pay.

AFAIK, 10% is standard.
 
If that's true, it's even more inexplicable that he would let his family raise the amount rather than just pay it out of his 200k.

It takes 1-2 weeks to get a check from Paypal.

3-4 days for a bank transfer to show up, assuming you already have a bank account linked and set up.

Also, the balance can be way off depending on when transactions go through or if some don't go through, etc. Especially when a lot of folks are making small donations.
 
If that's true, it's even more inexplicable that he would let his family raise the amount rather than just pay it out of his 200k.

He may have started to move a chunk out of Paypal, anticipating a large bail, and then only needed $15K, so his family decided to just go ahead and make the bail, knowing they had the Paypal money to back them up.

Do we know what the balance was at the time of the hearing? The last time GZ checked it? A day could make a big difference in the reported balance.
 
Last edited:
O'Mara told the court today that 150,000 of that 200,000K was available on the day of Z's bond hearing.

The balance was used for 'living expenses.'
 
O'Mara told the court today that 150,000 of that 200,000K was available on the day of Z's bond hearing.

The balance was used for 'living expenses.'

Okay. So we can expect a full accounting in a few days.

Paypal has a $10K limit per transaction, so that would take 5 transactions.

There's also a limit on the total amount if the account is unverified, which we don't know.

Anyway, GZ couldn't have taken $50K at once, it looks like, unless he asked for a check, which is slow.
 
O'Mara told the court today that 150,000 of that 200,000K was available on the day of Z's bond hearing.

The balance was used for 'living expenses.'

I'd be interested in hearing your speculation on what he might have spent it on. :)
 
More to the point, filling out a form to declare indigent status is part of requesting a court appointed attorney. I don't recall seeing where Zimmerman made any such request of this judge.
Ahem.

From the bond hearing:

O'MARA: Another condition or another concern the court would have is a bond amount. I would ask you then realizing that one option is for the court to grant a monetary bond, if you could advise the court of your financial circumstances so I'll ask you a couple of questions.

Are you working presently?

S. ZIMMERMAN: No, I'm not.

O'MARA: And how do you -- what do you do with your time?

S. ZIMMERMAN: I am a nursing student.

O'MARA: OK. Is that a full-time endeavor presently? S. ZIMMERMAN: Yes, it is.

O'MARA: OK. How long have you been doing that?

S. ZIMMERMAN: Well, I am four weeks away from my graduation.

O'MARA: OK. So you're not earning any income presently?

S. ZIMMERMAN: Correct.

O'MARA: Do you own the home that you live or lived in?

S. ZIMMERMAN: No, sir.

O'MARA: Other major assets that you have which you can liquidate reasonably to assist in coming up with money for a bond?

S. ZIMMERMAN: None that I know of.

O'MARA: I discussed with you the pending motion to have your husband, George, declared indigent for cost, have I not?

S. ZIMMERMAN: Yes, you have.


O'MARA: Are you of any financial means where you could assist in those costs?

S. ZIMMERMAN: Not that I'm aware of.


O'MARA: I understand that you do have other family members present with you and I'll ask them questions of them but have you had discussions with them of at least trying to pool together some funds to accomplish a bond?

S. ZIMMERMAN: We have discussed that, trying to pull together the numbers of the family to scrape up anything that we possibly can.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1204/20/cnr.01.html
 
Further:

O'MARA: Another issue that needs to be considered by the judge is the financial means that George and to a certain extent his family, has available to him. How can you assist financially in securing a bond for George's release?

R. ZIMMERMAN: Well, I am a disabled veteran and don't have a great deal of income. My wife is retired. We have some savings but very little.

O'MARA: Thank you. Do you have any major assets, for example a home that you live in?

R. ZIMMERMAN: We have a home. We have a mortgage on the home.

O'MARA: If a condition of his release were to be that you might need to secure that home such that you couldn't sell it during the time of George's release and that any equity that might exist in that home, would be secured to be surrendered to a bail bondsman if he failed to appear, would you take on that responsibility?

R. ZIMMERMAN: Yes, sir.

O'MARA: In effect would you take on what we might call a second mortgage against your home to secure George's release?

R. ZIMMERMAN: Yes, sir.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1204/20/cnr.01.html

Poor daddy. Might have to take out a second mortgage to help out his indigent son.

Who couldn't find the time to tell daddy 200,000K was sitting pretty in an account ta hep the po boy out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom