Kaosium
Philosopher
- Joined
- Oct 12, 2010
- Messages
- 6,695
Well, in fairness, I'm not making blanket "conspiracy theory" accusations against anyone who disagrees with me. There are plenty of people in this thread with whom I disagree for which I have the utmost respect. However, the one conspiracy theory charge that I did level was regarding a theory of a conspiracy that involved Martin's parents, their lawyer, at least one witness, and the mayor of Sanford.
That's pretty much where this all started, so that would be an excellent place to begin any sort of investigation.
It also alleged knowing what some of these participants were actually thinking.
Were you aware that one of the requirements for finding someone guilty is being able to 'read their mind' in more or less the same manner? It's called mens rea to establish a 'guilty mind.'
There are also those who can employ certain techniques and who've education and training in certain fields who can in a general sense sometimes divine within a reasonable probability what someone might have, is, or will be thinking. Look at it this way, everyone can guess what someone might think if they tell them something, like if someone cheats on their wife they might be able to guess just how that conversation might go, depending of course on the woman involved because people are different. There's some who can do that easier operating on more limited information, James Randi and others like him would be another example.
I completely believe you. But this idea that a screwdriver is automatically to be considered a burglary tool is nonsense.
Of course it is, that's an absolutely true statement. It could also be considered a 'weapon.'
I'm not aware that they were banned. Martin received no disciplinary action as a result of having the screwdriver in his possession.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but officially he was disciplined for the graffiti incident instead, wasn't he?
And the evidence you have supporting the assertion that the jewelry went unclaimed is... ?
This answer is one indication. Do you know why?
Other than that, it can be derived from the context and circumstances of the report to a high probability.
Because people are sometimes unaware that they had something stolen and don't report it to the police. However, in this case, we're alleging that a house was burglarized as well.
How likely do you think it is that someone had their house broken in to and a bunch of jewelry - including a wedding band - stolen and didn't report it?
Perhaps they did, but there's no 'jewelry database' in which to cross reference and match the merchandise with the claim. The people may not have reported it to the police station that has it because Traymon committed it out of town.
And how likely is it that this school official caught a student with obvious evidence of burglary - and even possibly grand larceny - and not only didn't turn that student over to the police, but didn't even turn in the cache of valuable stolen jewelry?
Depends on the school official; one might have been a hardass and done so, and Traymon have been in jail and still alive. Another may have thought it better to avoid getting him enmeshed in the criminal justice system for a non-violent crime.
If we take this story at face value, it looks damning for Martin. However, if we examine it closely, it ultimately doesn't make very much sense. We are supposed to believe that Martin was guilty of a serious crime because that's what the evidence clearly indicates. And yet this serious crime that was committed did not directly involve the police.
Frankly I don't consider it that serious of a crime, I brought it up because I'd not seen much mention of it lately and it indirectly corroborated part of GZ's story.
So in the end we have this great story of criminal behavior for anyone who wants to believe the worst about Trayvon Martin that is credible right up to the point of actually being verified by law enforcement.
I don't believe the worst about Trayvon Martin, but I suspect that jewelry was stolen.
This assumes Martin initiated the violence. There's no evidence that he did.
Actually there is, George Zimmerman. That's is evidence in a courtroom.
I didn't say it wasn't consistent, just that it disingenuously paints a more innocuous picture of Zimmerman's actions. He had a gun and he got out his car to follow a suspected criminal. That is consistent with evidence, and is a full and honest account of what he actually did.
It's not disingenuous at all, it's the most accurate in my estimation.
Zimmerman was the Neighborhood Watch Captain. You don't get to bestow such a title upon yourself without bearing the responsibilities of that title. At least not if you want to be viewed as a rational adult.
OK, that's what I needed to know. It really is that silly and irrelevant. I will have fun with this one I think, not at your expense in this post though.
And that's the point a few of us have been trying to make. The moment Zimmerman irresponsibly stepped out of his car with a gun - no matter what might have happened next - the stakes suddenly became much more serious.
Why would George Zimmerman be considered irresponsible for walking around in his own neighborhood? If Traymon has every right to be there, which of course I agree with, then how can George Zimmerman be denied the same courtesy? If it's the concealed carry permit, that's his legal right and considering the crime statistics in his neighborhood a rational response to his environment.
I'm not sure what you mean by "reversing the burden of proof in self-defense cases" - and I know under Florida law this probably doesn't matter - but if Zimmerman is claiming self-defense, then it's his burden to prove it.
It's Murder 2 now, so no he doesn't. The state has to prove him guilty of murder. Regarding that self-defense claim in other states of having to prove self-defense, the fallout from this case may be that has to be changed as this shows how easy it is to pervert the current strictures. It may very well turn out that it would be wise to federalize Stand Your Ground so this doesn't happen again. It's obviously too damn easy in this day and age for people to get their hands on evidence and turn it in to 'evidence' and construct a low-probability scenario and take it to the press, (or perhaps just a gullible prosecutor) and convince them of their fantasy and potentially ruin someone's life, or take it completely.
Sorry, but that's just nonsense. There is zero evidence that Martin was doing anything more sinister than walking home from the store. That Zimmerman might have thought he looked "suspicious" is a completely subjective opinion that should be treated as such.
However he called police at the time, that's something that corroborates his story, this isn't something he made up after the fact. Before there was a shooting and this became a tragedy George Zimmerman thought there was something suspicious about Traymon Martin's behavior and when he was spotted by TM that caused TM to take off running, another thing suggestive that he may have been up to something.
I know some of the self-appointed legal scholars in this thread will tell you otherwise, but the trial hasn't actually begun and the prosecution hasn't presented their case. They might have bupkis. They might have damning evidence. At this point, none of us know.
We have an idea of what they consider the most damning evidence already, we also know how the case came to be made, both are highly suggestive of a gross miscarriage of justice already which is only occurring because of outside influence that they ought to start investigating now before it gets out of hand. They probably won't though, because it's politics.
When is the discovery dump going to take place? As I understand it, under Florida Sunshine laws this ought to be completely public, is that correct?
Last edited: