• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trayvon Martin, Vigilante Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
The girlfriend says that the phone got disconnected when the fight started. The only thing that would make this make sense is the phone screen broke. I question that, as there is no mention of a broken phone.

Not really. He was reportedly using a headset, and most of those have buttons that disconnect a call. Headset drops and may get stepped on, button presses, call ended.
 
Not really. He was reportedly using a headset, and most of those have buttons that disconnect a call. Headset drops and may get stepped on, button presses, call ended.

Like I said in response to crimeresearch, there maybe details I am forgetting. It just doesn't make sense why they would have his phone and not be able to identify him. Tracy Martin says that when they got back from dinner, Trayvon wasn't home so they tried calling him but it went right to voice mail. His phone was obviously on when the fight started. The fight very well may have simply disconnected the call, maybe the BT disconnect button was hit, or the BT was damaged disconnecting the call. I just don't see why the police would have the phone in evidence and turn it off, if they are trying to identify him. Why else would the father's attempt to contact him send him right to voice mail.
 
I notice you have been bringing this up during the course of this thread. Are you joking? If not, could you please let me know what you are basing the beginning and the end of each "life" on?

Subjective feelings about the topics of discussion and the participants over the course of reading the thread.

You are welcome to feel differently, I could have said 'phases' but used a metaphor.
 
Today, 06:51 AM #6617
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing


Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 29,527 Originally Posted by PhantomWolf
By that measure if you saw someone breaking into a car you should do nothing, after all sometimes people do lock their keys in the car, so how do you know that this isn't one of them?





And as the 911 call transcript does not mention anything like this or any criminal activity whatsoever, that statement is even more irrelvent

It is hard to tell what you mean here.
 
That is the exact opposite of what really happened. He was asked to not follow M.

Zimmerman: Somethings wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out, he's got something in his hands, I don't know what his deal is.
Dispatcher: Just let me know if he does anything okZimmerman: How long until you get an officer over here?
Dispatcher: Yeah we've got someone on the way, just let me know if this guy does anything else.

It's not a lie. I questioned it earlier in this discussion.
I don't see why, "we don't need you to do that," is to be taken as a legal order not to follow, but "Yeah, we've got someone on the way, just let me know if he does anything else," can't possibly be taken as a request to keep an eye on him till the officer gets there.
 
Did he really continue to chase, even after being told not to?

I'm not sure I believe the boy actually was running. And the shooter could well have been exaggerating.

At any rate, what of this excerpt from the 911 call:

////Quote///
Dispatcher: Are you following him?
Zimmerman: Yeah
Dispatcher: Ok, we don't need you to do that.
Zimmerman: Ok
Dispatcher: Alright sir what is your name?
Zimmerman: George...He ran.
///Unquote///

....At least from how this reads, it seems the shooter did NOT continue to follow him after the dispatcher communicated that he shouldn't. He replied "ok", and then says he "ran" (past tense). Both of these seem to suggest he had here ended the chase.

But there's no timestamp, so it's not clear how much time elasped between each statement. So does the actual real-time recording of the event make it clear he continued to follow even after he was urged not to?
 
Last edited:
I don't see why, "we don't need you to do that," is to be taken as a legal order not to follow...

It's not. And I think most people have acknowledged that.

...but "Yeah, we've got someone on the way, just let me know if he does anything else," can't possibly be taken as a request to keep an eye on him till the officer gets there.

I'm not sure how this line of reasoning helps Zimmerman. He was the "neighborhood watch captain". The more reasons we come up with to rationalize the behavior he exhibited in contradiction to that role, the more of an irrational loose cannon he looks like.
 
....At least from how this reads, it seems the shooter did NOT continue to follow him after the dispatcher communicated that he shouldn't. He replied "ok", and then says he "ran" (past tense). Both of these seem to suggest he had here ended the chase.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. The term "okay" can be interpreted so many different ways that it's essentially meaningless. I could indicate everything from "I understand and will comply" to "Whatever. I'm going to do what I want".

One of the things that makes me think he might have continued the pursuit after the 911 call is how cagey he was with the dispatcher about where the police should meet him:

Dispatcher: Okay do you want to just meet with them right near the mailboxes then?
Zimmerman: Yeah that's fine.
Dispatcher: Alright George, I'll let them know to meet you around there okay?
Zimmerman: Actually could you have them call me and I'll tell them where I'm at?

If he was planning just to stay put and wait for the police, there's absolutely no reason he wouldn't give the dispatcher a fixed location to meet. "Call me and I'll tell them where I'm at" indicates he planned on being on the move.
 
Last edited:
It's not. And I think most people have acknowledged that.

It would be nice but I continue to see it repeated in different variations of; he was told not to follow, asked not to follow, the dispatcher suggested that he shouldn't follow, he was ordered not to follow, he disobeyed the dispatcher's request not to follow. I think the affidavit breathed new life into that particular segment of the conversation.

I'm not sure how this line of reasoning helps Zimmerman. He was the "neighborhood watch captain". The more reasons we come up with to rationalize the behavior he exhibited in contradiction to that role, the more of an irrational loose cannon he looks like.

I don't see what the neighborhood watch captain has to do with it. Is it possible that you see it as a contradiction to that role because you've already decided that he was a loose cannon?
 
I think that's a bit of a stretch. The term "okay" can be interpreted so many different ways that it's essentially meaningless. I could indicate everything from "I understand and will comply" to "Whatever. I'm going to do what I want".

One of the things that makes me think he might have continued the pursuit after the 911 call is how cagey he was with the dispatcher about where the police should meet him:

Dispatcher: Okay do you want to just meet with them right near the mailboxes then?
Zimmerman: Yeah that's fine.
Dispatcher: Alright George, I'll let them know to meet you around there okay?
Zimmerman: Actually could you have them call me and I'll tell them where I'm at?

If he was planning just to stay put and wait for the police, there's absolutely no reason he wouldn't give the dispatcher a fixed location to meet. "Call me and I'll tell them where I'm at" indicates he planned on being on the move.

Do you see the confirmation bias? Okay, can mean a number of things but can you have them call me when they arrive can only mean he intended on following Martin.
 
If I remember correctly it was suggested that the girlfriend is yet another minor and was somewhat traumatized. I also faintly seem to remember that her family played a role in when she gave her testimony, but what exactly no idea yet. I think it should be in the reports around the time the Martins's attorney went public with it.

Yes, that is accurate. It was reported that it was the Martin's own efforts to get TM's call log from the cell phone company that caused them to realize what an important witness she was. The Martin's attorney Clump also described DD as being extremely traumatized by what had happened. Here's one of the earlier reports about DD's call:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-arrest-now-abc-reveals-crucial-phone/t/story?id=15959017
 
Last edited:
I think that's a bit of a stretch. The term "okay" can be interpreted so many different ways that it's essentially meaningless. I could indicate everything from "I understand and will comply" to "Whatever. I'm going to do what I want".

One of the things that makes me think he might have continued the pursuit after the 911 call is how cagey he was with the dispatcher about where the police should meet him:

Dispatcher: Okay do you want to just meet with them right near the mailboxes then?
Zimmerman: Yeah that's fine.
Dispatcher: Alright George, I'll let them know to meet you around there okay?
Zimmerman: Actually could you have them call me and I'll tell them where I'm at?

If he was planning just to stay put and wait for the police, there's absolutely no reason he wouldn't give the dispatcher a fixed location to meet. "Call me and I'll tell them where I'm at" indicates he planned on being on the move.

It's good that sgtbaker pointed out the confirmation bias here. I took diverse 911 calls and non-emergency police calls from people who disconnected after telling me they would meet the units in a different location.
 
It would be nice but I continue to see it repeated in different variations of; he was told not to follow, asked not to follow, the dispatcher suggested that he shouldn't follow, he was ordered not to follow, he disobeyed the dispatcher's request not to follow. I think the affidavit breathed new life into that particular segment of the conversation.

Zimmerman had no legal obligation to not follow Martin, but the dispatcher absolutely suggested/advised/informed not to do so. It's funny that we would read between the lines when it comes to Zimmerman inferring a request to follow Martin, but we must stick to the exact literal interpretation of the dispatcher's words when he advised him not to so as to mitigate how serious the request was.

I don't see what the neighborhood watch captain has to do with it. Is it possible that you see it as a contradiction to that role because you've already decided that he was a loose cannon?

You've got it backwards. I see Zimmerman as a loose cannon because he was in blatant disregard or willfully ignorant of the responsibilities associated with his role.
 
Last edited:
Do you see the confirmation bias? Okay, can mean a number of things but can you have them call me when they arrive can only mean he intended on following Martin.

I honestly don't think its confirmation bias. Do you deny that just saying "okay" is ambiguous?

And if there's a different way to interpret "Call me and I'll tell them where I'm at" other than "I'm going to be on the move", I'm open to the possibilities.
 
One detail I've not seen discussed - did George Zimmerman call 911 AFTER the shooting?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom