Defending one's life, family, and/or property, even if it results in killing the perpetrator, does not equal executing someone, punishing someone, considering their act a capital crime, or any of the other silly straw men people continue to put forth here. As always, if you don't want to get shot for breaking into someone's house, don't break into someone's house. Dying is a serious risk you'd take even in locales where there are restrictions against defending one's life or property.
And if you're concerned about other people suffering because they don't understand those risks, or they're willing to take them anyway, do what you can to convince them otherwise. Or maybe, if a guy would break into my house to steal my stuff, and you want him to obtain that stuff safely, you give him your stuff. There's no law against that and nobody gets hurt.
Well, first off if they have a weapon and they are going to use it to harm someone then all bets are off. You have every right to defend life. It's taking life to protect property that I have a huge issue with.
Think of it this way: if we give carte blanch to shoot anyone that you think is robbing a house you are introducing what is likely unnecessary violence into the situation. I'm reminded of the night this old man, father of my neighbor, in a rather bad fit of dementia went into the wrong house in the middle of the night.
BAM! Two to the core then a double tap to the head.
Or...no wait that family wasn't sitting around with a hand cannon wishing someone looks at the house wrong so they can unleash a hail of lead. They called the cops who straightened everything out.
On the other hand he might have been a real robber. But one that only intended to rob, not harm. When you start sending bullets through walls to protect your stuff you have now put your whole family in greater danger. The robber, who never would have escalated things before, might now pull his own gun to try and save his own life. And, panicked, starts wildly sending bullets through the walls. Maybe into a child's room.
Way to go. You turned a robbery into a heartbreaking family tragedy.
And you would be correct because it is not a capital offense. A person, however, has every right to protect his property. What if the property is on you for instance; are you required to just stand there and allow people to go into your pockets or take your watch because you're supposed to control your primal impulses?
Yes, this is exactly what I have done in the past. Then you calmly call the police and let them do their job.
This was also what I did the night this crazy man barged in ranting about how we knew where his daughter was. I had a weapon that night but would only use it if he actually attacked anyone. He didn't. He ranted and raved for a few minutes then left. The police eventually got a hold of him and determined he was just high on meth.
In fact, the primal impulse would be for someone to take whatever you have in your hand or to move you off the land you occupy. The more advanced concept is the notion that someone should own property under color or grant of law and that others are thereby excluded from it based upon that ownership; furthermore, that others in society should and ought to respect that ownership.
They should. Not everyone does. That's why we invented laws and created a division of government that takes care of these things.
There can be no true right to property at all if that right to property is absolutely dependent upon the response of a government institution to immediately defend against trespass or theft; the individual who owns it must be able to ward off those who would steal or harm it.
Oh I get it. You are an anarchist. Government is useless. We should all huddle in our caves hurling stones at the imagined scary things in the dark.
It's a very simplistic statement to claim that someone defending his property against another has committed murder or is somehow a savage.
It's not just simple; it is correct.
Well, you are lucky that you can tell the difference between a mere robber and a killer who robs.
Not everyone has the luxury of staying safe in that assumption.
Actually I know I don't have that ability. Therefore I don't try to pretend I do. I leave that up to the professionals.
Well, I don't have to agree with it, but it is your opinion. I can respect that.
Me personally, would I shoot someone as he's heading out my back porch with my laptop? Nope. He's obviously leaving my presence, and as such, is not a threat.
If he is hiding underneath my son or daughters bed, I of course will assume he's not there to clean the dust bunnies, and act appropriately.
You and I don't always agree on things, but that's ok.
Cheers!
You wouldn't even try to call the police first, then tell the guy to stay where he is? Please tell me you don't just start sending bullets flying through the bed.