TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
- Joined
- May 17, 2011
- Messages
- 8,276
Probably the culture of "innocent until proven guilty" that pervades the mind of many fair-minded people.
good luck - that whole notion is discounted by the true skeptics in this thread
Probably the culture of "innocent until proven guilty" that pervades the mind of many fair-minded people.
Probably the culture of "innocent until proven guilty" that pervades the mind of many fair-minded people.
good luck - that whole notion is discounted by the true skeptics in this thread![]()
Let me try to rephrase it: if he were actually innocent, but there is no eyewitness like it is the case now, how would he be able to prove that he actually is innocent if we begin our assessment with the assumption that he has a motive to lie and that therefore what he says is suspect?
I'm curious - if GZ carried his gun all the time - Like going to the store, etc - does that change anything in your mind ?
IOW, would the fact that GZ went everywhere armed make his actions any less egregious than if he had specifically run home to grab his gun before coming back to follow TM ?
of course the counter claim to self defense is "It was murder/manslaughter" which also a positive claim requiring substantiationAre you as confused about the difference between a positive and negative claim as Newton's Bit appears to be?
Zimmerman isn't saying "I didn't do it". If so, then yes, the evidence would have to prove otherwise.
Zimmerman is saying "I did it out of self-defense". That is a positive claim. It requires substantiation.
I'm not sure it's anyone's problem but Zimmerman's to make his case. But if we gave every suspected murderer the same benefit of the doubt, every murder case would begin and end with the suspect taking the stand and saying "I didn't do it".
I'm curious - if GZ carried his gun all the time - Like going to the store, etc - does that change anything in your mind ?
IOW, would the fact that GZ went everywhere armed make his actions any less egregious than if he had specifically run home to grab his gun before coming back to follow TM ?
Err, you do realize that something is going wrong when an innocent gets convicted because he was unable to verify this innocence via physical evidence or third party testimony?
And afaik we are giving murderers that benefit of the doubt. The prosecution does have to build a case against them and prove that they did the deed.
Yes, going home to specifically get his gun would be more egregious, but that doesn't absolve him of all responsibility. This idea that he carries his gun around all the time so it's not really a big deal is ridiculous.
Guns are dangerous weapons and demand a certain amount of responsibility and accountability from those who carry them. And as gun-owner, Zimmerman has an obligation to behave responsibly when carrying his weapon. Instead, he chose to behave recklessly and irresponsibly.
Particularly in cases of affirmative defense.
Actually, I'd consider his actions egregious even if he didn't have a gun at all. Who on earth gets out of their car to chase someone that they find "suspicious", based on their walking down the street and looking around?
of course the counter claim to self defense is "It was murder/manslaughter" which also a positive claim requiring substantiation
Have we determined that GZ actually did anything counter to any gun training he received, or any classes he might have had to take prior to receiving a CCP ? I mean, is there a CCP course which describes how you should never follow someone you believe is suspicious or something similar ?
When I referred to the "same benefit of the doubt", I was referring specifically to taking Zimmerman's account at face value. In a murder trial, the state must of course prove their case, but no one is required to automatically believe the suspect's version of events. Particularly in cases of affirmative defense.
Sorry, didn't intend to come over as patronizing or anything.I don't think it's been even close to determined that this case will require any type of affirmative defense.
Uhm, perhaps for shooting people?Because else we might end up putting Zimmerman in prison for what exactly?
Actually, a claim of self-defense is an affirmative defense. How it might affect this case has been discussed previously in this thread.
When I referred to the "same benefit of the doubt", I was referring specifically to taking Zimmerman's account at face value. In a murder trial, the state must of course prove their case, but no one is required to automatically believe the suspect's version of events. Particularly in cases of affirmative defense.
Uhm, perhaps for shooting people?