Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
Perhaps an important consideration when speculating about blood evidence is that it's supposed to have been raining on the night of the shooting.
That'll teach me to post before reading the next X pages of discussion of the video....Keep in mind that at the time, I thought the video had been taken a few hours later. I did not know it had been taken so soon after the shooting.
I am a little ignorant here - but if there is evidence this was a racially motivated crime (one way or the other) and the Florida legal system does not act - Can the Federal government bring charges?
(a) In General.—
(1) Offenses involving actual or perceived race, color, religion, or national origin.— Whoever, whether or not acting under color of law, willfully causes bodily injury to any person or, through the use of fire, a firearm, a dangerous weapon, or an explosive or incendiary device, attempts to cause bodily injury to any person, because of the actual or perceived race, color, religion, or national origin of any person—
(A) shall be imprisoned not more than 10 years, fined in accordance with this title, or both; and
(B) shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined in accordance with this title, or both, if—
(i) death results from the offense; or
(ii) the offense includes kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill.
[snip]
(b) Certification Requirement.—
(1) In general.— No prosecution of any offense described in this subsection may be undertaken by the United States, except under the certification in writing of the Attorney General, or a designee, that—
(A) the State does not have jurisdiction;
(B) the State has requested that the Federal Government assume jurisdiction;
(C) the verdict or sentence obtained pursuant to State charges left demonstratively unvindicated the Federal interest in eradicating bias-motivated violence; or
(D) a prosecution by the United States is in the public interest and necessary to secure substantial justice.
Thought this might need to be posted.
FLORIDA
STANDARD JURY INSTRUCTIONS
IN CRIMINAL CASES
http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/...ers/entireversion/onlinejurryinstructions.pdf
3.6(f) JUSTIFIABLE USE OF DEADLY FORCE page 62.
I have a few thoughts and some questions.
A while back in the thread many posters were saying there would be lots of blood spatter on GZ's clothes if he shot TM at close range (and some saying not). In the video he does not appear to have blood on his clothes.
It was mentioned by someone many pages ago that GZ's clothes may have been collected as evidence. Might he be wearing different clothes in the police department video than he had at the time of the shooting? When would they have taken his clothes?
It's been said the 'shot in the back of the head' claim is not correct and the 'shot in the chest' claim is correct. Is there any conclusive proof available to the public that says how TM was shot and killed? Do we really know this at this point?
Thanks,
If this case ever makes it to trial, George is going to have trouble with at least one section of the jury instructions.
If you find that the defendant who because of threats or prior difficulties with (victim) had reasonable grounds to believe that [he] [she] was in danger of death or great bodily harm at the hands of (victim), then the defendant had the right to arm [himself] [herself]. However, the defendant cannot justify the use of deadly force, if after arming [himself] [herself] [he] [she] renewed [his] [her] difficulty with (victim) when [he] [she] could have avoided the difficulty,
I'm sure the prosecutor would be pointing out the obvious fact that nobody would have gotten injured that night if George had just stayed in his truck and not grabbed his gun and gone chasing after Trayvon. And I'm sure that the defense will be fighting to keep that part of the instructions from being heard by the jury, arguing that the trouble George had with Trayvon being in his neighborhood which was sufficient for George to request police response is not applicable.
Yeah, really.
Role play this in your head. (You should have that sort of skills if you are going to play investigator like this.)
You are minding your own business and notice some dork following you for no good reason. You take off running. After running a certain distance, you think you have lost him, but WHUMP there he is again, clearly meaning to see that you don't lose him again. Are you going to compliment him on his nice threads or are you going to demand to know what his major malfunction is? I don't think I would be the least bit impressed that he was dressed nicely. Ted Bundy dressed nicely. (I actually once met that turd. He creeped me out a little bit, even before he is known to have started killing women.)
Gangs are often made up of a single ethnic group. A lot of them shave their heads because it is one less way for an opponent to hurt them when they go mano-a-mano.
Now, what is it about Z that should not have been threatening?
When Z demanded to know what Martin was doing there, but did not identify himself as part of Neighborhood Watch, don't you think it would look more like you were facing a banger staking out his turf?
Have you any idea how bangers act when thery meet someone who might be a rival gang member? I have seen it going down, and it is pretty scarey. "What are you doing here?" is a very common greeting between them, just before the compost hits the ventilating device.
Are you with me so far? Are you looking at this from the perspective of Martin's probable life experiences?
Can you see why Martin might feel that punching this fool's lights out might be the only way to get out of that situation?
Okay, so now you have the pervert or banger or whatever this fool is on the ground, knocked a little goofy from hitting his head on the edge of the sidewalk and you notice that he has a gun. Are you going to feel safe going on about your business without taking that gun away from him? What do you expect him to do when he gets up? Do you even want him to get up at all? Do you want him to still have the gun when he gets up? I sure as hell wouldn't. I would feel pretty certain that if I walk away and leave that pile of crap sitting there, in pain and a bit humiliated and armed that I would probably not make it to the end of the next town house without catching a bullet in the back.
Can you see any line of thought that might pass through Martin's head that would make it a good idea NOT to take that wierdo's weapon?
The mortician confirmed on MSNBC that Trayvon was killed by a single shot to the chest with no visible exit wound.
The video in question was taken less than an hour from the time of the shooting. There's no evidence that I know of that police allowed Zimmerman to return home for a change of clothes. The red (looks like leather) jacket and grey shirt match the descriptions from witnesses as well.
18 USC § 249 - Hate crime acts
(b)(1)(C) is what to look at here. The US government is claiming that they could try a defendant again in federal court because it didn't like the outcome decided by a state.
Straw out the wazoo. I've made no claim that Martin did anything wrong.Yeah, really.
Role play this in your head. (You should have that sort of skills if you are going to play investigator like this.)
You are minding your own business and notice some dork following you for no good reason. You take off running. After running a certain distance, you think you have lost him, but WHUMP there he is again, clearly meaning to see that you don't lose him again. Are you going to compliment him on his nice threads or are you going to demand to know what his major malfunction is? I don't think I would be the least bit impressed that he was dressed nicely. Ted Bundy dressed nicely. (I actually once met that turd. He creeped me out a little bit, even before he is known to have started killing women.)
Gangs are often made up of a single ethnic group. A lot of them shave their heads because it is one less way for an opponent to hurt them when they go mano-a-mano.
Now, what is it about Z that should not have been threatening?
When Z demanded to know what Martin was doing there, but did not identify himself as part of Neighborhood Watch, don't you think it would look more like you were facing a banger staking out his turf?
Have you any idea how bangers act when thery meet someone who might be a rival gang member? I have seen it going down, and it is pretty scarey. "What are you doing here?" is a very common greeting between them, just before the compost hits the ventilating device.
Are you with me so far? Are you looking at this from the perspective of Martin's probable life experiences?
Can you see why Martin might feel that punching this fool's lights out might be the only way to get out of that situation?
Okay, so now you have the pervert or banger or whatever this fool is on the ground, knocked a little goofy from hitting his head on the edge of the sidewalk and you notice that he has a gun. Are you going to feel safe going on about your business without taking that gun away from him? What do you expect him to do when he gets up? Do you even want him to get up at all? Do you want him to still have the gun when he gets up? I sure as hell wouldn't. I would feel pretty certain that if I walk away and leave that pile of crap sitting there, in pain and a bit humiliated and armed that I would probably not make it to the end of the next town house without catching a bullet in the back.
Can you see any line of thought that might pass through Martin's head that would make it a good idea NOT to take that wierdo's weapon?
I would go with the red jacket zipped up and the dark shirt covered, and the grass being perhaps small cut pieces that were wiped off as they dried... I believe one of the cops at the sallyport brushes Zimmerman's jacket, and then wipes his hand on his pants.I just found it odd considering the description of the events - Zimmerman's bloody nose and Martin's proximity when shot - that there are no obvious stains of any kind at all on the front of Zimmerman's shirt. The focus got shifted to a lack of grass stains on his back in the surveillance video but that could be hard to see on a red jacket. However, dark blood stains on the grey shirt should be pretty easy to spot and we get a couple different relatively long looks at the shirt. Perhaps Zimmerman's jacket had been zipped up at the time of the incident. I just found it perplexing that there's nothing there.
Whoa. I need to stop posting until I have the time to follow the thread more closely. Sorry about that sgtbaker!Really?
Because Lefty's claim that an obviously Hispanic man in a nice jacket and shirt with short hair 'looks like a banger'(#3396), and there is a '90% chance' they'll kill you (#3645), would seem 'absurd' to me.
And definitely not the 'direction' I favor.
Just saying...
And I need to stop posting and spend less time following it.Whoa. I need to stop posting until I have the time to follow the thread more closely. Sorry about that sgtbaker!
NoActually IDK, yes (VA law) and possibly.
Wait, so now, Zimmerman was a fat, stalker, psycho for profiling Martin because he is black and wearing a hoodie (fair enough), therefor, Martin was justified in profiling Zimmerman and attacking him because he's got a shaved head and is hispanic which could mean he's a gang banger?
Sauce for the goose.I think that's the point. You can't both claim Zimmerman had a reasonable enough suspicion to do what he did based solely on Martin's appearance and behavior, and insist that it would not have been reasonable for Martin to feel threatened based on Zimmerman's appearance and behavior.
Except that there is zero evidence that Zimmerman was ever unarmed, and went anywhere to 'arm himself and renew'.Thanks,
If this case ever makes it to trial, George is going to have trouble with at least one section of the jury instructions.
If you find that the defendant who because of threats or prior difficulties with (victim) had reasonable grounds to believe that [he] [she] was in danger of death or great bodily harm at the hands of (victim), then the defendant had the right to arm [himself] [herself]. However, the defendant cannot justify the use of deadly force, if after arming [himself] [herself] [he] [she] renewed [his] [her] difficulty with (victim) when [he] [she] could have avoided the difficulty,
I'm sure the prosecutor would be pointing out the obvious fact that nobody would have gotten injured that night if George had just stayed in his truck and not grabbed his gun and gone chasing after Trayvon. And I'm sure that the defense will be fighting to keep that part of the instructions from being heard by the jury, arguing that the trouble George had with Trayvon being in his neighborhood which was sufficient for George to request police response is not applicable.
They've claimed that for a long time. And they are right.18 USC § 249 - Hate crime acts
(b)(1)(C) is what to look at here. The US government is claiming that they could try a defendant again in federal court because it didn't like the outcome decided by a state.