• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trayvon Martin, Vigilante Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks!

Can I have my own opinion* on everything now?

I mean, is that a blanket "feel free" or what? :D

(* I wish I could have my own facts, but you know how that goes.)
You don't seem to want to use real facts for your CT derails, so please, by all means, go with what you've got.

ETA: I 'get it' that an issue like this brings out the Sherlock Holmes fantasies in many people, and the Perry Mason or CSI fantasies, in many others.

And if it seems like peeing in your Wheaties for folks to provide accurate information for the benefit of those who want to take a less 'fun' and more informed approach, that's life in the skeptic's lane.
 
Last edited:
I think it was worth reposting about this witness.

She said a black guy was standing over him after the shot was fired and the police were already starting to show up with flashlights. She must have either been mistaken or saw a bystander/police officer.
 
But we are trying to go by the facts, and seeing bleeding does not mean seeing a wound. It could be either, seeing a wound or just blood.

I disagree. I think seeing "bleeding" isn't the same as seeing blood. I think it means the officer observed it flowing out.

At any rate, if this ever reaches trial, and Zimmerman alleges he was wounded (bloody nose and a scrape on the back of the head), I doubt he will only rely on what we have.

I also don't think the outcome of the case will hinge on whether or not Zimmerman was injured in this way. Since he admits he shot Trayvon, the entire question will be whether or not the killing was justified.
 
You don't seem to want to use real facts for your CT derails, so please, by all means, go with what you've got.

CT? You mean Conspiracy Theory?

I've never suggested any such thing. How you got to there from a news article on the police investigation, I have no idea.

For the record, I don't think there is any sort of CT on the part of any entity directly involved in this case, nor have I heard anything like that suggested by any credible party.

I believe the local police conducted an investigation that night and arrived at the 782.11 charge. I believe they completed and forwarded a report of that investigation with a recommendation for that charge, to the SA. I believe that charge was under consideration by the SA.

Then the media campaign began, and everything blew all to hell.
 
btw, it's been reported today that Zimmerman's clothing was taken into evidence and is still in the custody of investigaters.

Saw it in the Chicago Tribune site today, damned if I can find it now they have a horrible search feature.
 
You may think so. I don't see Martin's parents demanding an execution. Those of us in this thread who argued in Martin's favor have only ever asked for a trial from the beginning.

I do, that's why I said "I think" in my post. :)

As a parent, I tend to agree with that position, but only as a parent. It's been my impression almost from the start and has nothing to do with where "those of us in this thread" are in regards to Zimmerman or the application of the law.
 
Maybe neither is a thug. Maybe this is just an unfortunate tragedy.
Maybe people who see someone they think is suspicious should call the police and then wait for those in authority to do their job. Neighborhood watch ought to be just that. Not neighborhood follow suspicious people with guns.

neighboorhoodwatch.jpg
 
The shooter did stupid things, and the victim did stupid things. I think the moral of the story is: Testosterone kills.
Yep.

These sorts of things rarely happen unless all parties involved use bad judgement.
 
btw, it's been reported today that Zimmerman's clothing was taken into evidence and is still in the custody of investigaters.

Saw it in the Chicago Tribune site today, damned if I can find it now they have a horrible search feature.
Ah, here it is:
Sanford police failed to collect key evidence in the case: the clothing of George Zimmerman, the gunman who killed Trayvon.

Not true, police said. They took his clothing as well as Trayvon's and packaged it for crime-lab analysis. A spokeswoman for Special Prosecutor Angela Corey would not disclose Tuesday where the clothing is now, but she wrote in an email that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement "is assisting with the processing of physical evidence."

Typically, evidence from Seminole County crime scenes is analyzed at the FDLE lab in Orlando.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...rtin-question-answer-20120327,0,1338414.story
 
I just read up on some of this. It reminds me of the Amadou Diallo case (which I also just read about in Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink).

Black guy is standing around not doing much of note, he is assumed to be a criminal and is aggressively followed or approached by a person or persons who do NOT appear to be police officers and who are in a car and clearly would pose a physical threat (outnumbering him or being older and outweighing him by 100 pounds)...he responds by trying to avoid the aggressive pursuer, which only makes the pursuer more convinced that the Black guy is guilty...after all, he's a "*********** coon" in the wrong part of town, so they then start to chase this unarmed and frightened man, at some point pulling out guns...and then we're left with only the account of the survivors...who claim that the unarmed frightened man who was trying to avoid them then decided to attack them or make an aggressive stand using his wallet as a weapon.

Maybe he did at that point...maybe he didn't...but I sure as hell ain't trusting the word of the guy who shot him. And the cop sure as hell shouldn't either.
 
Last edited:
Can someone clarify for me exactly what "arrested" means in the US? From other discussions here I've got the impression that it means something slightly different to its meaning in the UK.
 
To the best of my knowledge it means being physically taken by the police to the police station station to be charged with a crime until the law determines that you are let free, punished, to be given a trial or whatever. Usually this involves handcuffs and physical force if necessary.
 
More? How did that word get in there?
Funny thing. There are multiple keys on this touch pad that have letters on them.

Not to mention the big bolded and underlined "hypothetically"...

Maybe a really large font would have worked? :D
Nah, a better solution would be for you to stop pretending that every response to your hypothetical scenarios are following, adjusting said scenario... Oh, but then you wouldn't get to play your little game.
 
To the best of my knowledge it means being physically taken by the police to the police station station to be charged with a crime until the law determines that you are let free, punished, to be given a trial or whatever. Usually this involves handcuffs and physical force if necessary.

So you would usually only be arrested if the cops feel they already have enough to charge you? Here, an arrest would mean they could detain you and question you for x hours (initially 24, but can be extended by 12 hours at a time by a magistrate up to a maximum of 96 hours). If you are not charged in that time you must be released.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom