• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trayvon Martin, Vigilante Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question may have already been asked. However, do neighbourhood watch captains wear uniforms?

What is the scope of their duties?

Has anyone else been shot whilst under suspicion, in the same area?
No they don't. And they don't carry guns on patrol. They have zero authority either as law enforcement or as licensed private security.

They are neigbors, watching. Their duties are spelled out as observe and report. Their training consists of the police and the national organization telling them to *only* observe and report.

In any case, Zimmerman seems to have no connection with the actual Neighborhood Watch organization, and the word 'Captain' seems to have been entirely self ordained.

In the actual NW, a Block Captain would be the person who keeps the contact information for a smaller area of the overall neighborhood, not a para-military rank of any sort.
 
You have evidence that this happened?

No dammit. Kestel asked a ******* question! FFS, why is someone always (according to you) stating something as fact, when they ask a question?

Seriously, answer that. Why can't someone ask a ******* question?
 
Why is it the default position rather than a self-serving excuse?

I'm not really sure I know how to answer this ...

Because, from what we know so far, the evidence appears to corroborate Zimmermans story ?

I'm not sure I understand why it's so hard to believe a 17 year teenager old would get tired of a short fat guy following him, and turn around and kick his ass ?
This doesn't seem far-fetched to me.
 
Kestrel, sorry forgot to check the reple box

Thank you for your response.

So Trayvon Martin (TM) would not have necessarily known GZ was neighbourhood watch captain, he may have thought he was just being followed by some guy? UK news is reporting that TM was speaking to a friend just before the shooting, is this correct?
 
Last edited:
This board has really gone downhill in some areas.

Maybe I'm getting too old for JREF?
You've made the point a couple of times now about speed. So, just to be sure, you are not at all serious about that at all, right?
 
If he'd run to get away, I have no doubt that he'd have gotten away.
I don't get it. Here you seem to be serious about the speed. So which is it, are you serious or not? Look, I got that the corvette was humorous but not without a point, right?
 
Kestrel, sorry forgot to check the reple box

Thank you for your response.

So Trayvon Martin (TM) would not have necessarily known GZ was neighbourhood watch captain, he may have thought he was just being followed by some guy? UK news is reporting that TM was speaking to a friend just before the shooting, is this correct?
Based on what the media is reporting and comments from the national organization, GZ was not 'neighborhood watch captain' so there would be nothing of the sort for the victim to know.

And the media is claiming that phone records show the time but not the contents of the call just before the shooting.
 
Kestrel, sorry forgot to check the reple box

Thank you for your response.

So Trayvon Martin (TM) would not have necessarily known GZ was neighbourhood watch captain, he may have thought he was just being followed by some guy? UK news is reporting that TM was speaking to a friend just before the shooting, is this correct?

Correct.

At this point, the rest of what we have is largely speculation.
 
Based on what the media is reporting and comments from the national organization, GZ was not 'neighborhood watch captain' so there would be nothing of the sort for the victim to know.

And the media is claiming that phone records show the time but not the contents of the call just before the shooting.

What I'm hoping is that when this is finished and whatever legal actions have concluded, we can find out who got it right and who got it wrong and make it clear to all. The irresponsible actions of some in the press should be revealed, including Geraldo Rivera and his blaming Martin's hoodie, of all things.
 
I wasn't belittling anyone.

I was just pointing out to Randfan that LTC8K6 was making a little joke about Martin's speed versus Neighborhood Watch Guy's speed by comparing Martin to a Corvette.

Guess I need to be wordier.
I got the humor. I was asking a question, hence "regarding speed". Do you seriously think I'm so stupid that I didn't get the humor at all?
 
What I'm hoping is that when this is finished and whatever legal actions have concluded, we can find out who got it right and who got it wrong and make it clear to all. The irresponsible actions of some in the press should be revealed, including Geraldo Rivera and his blaming Martin's hoodie, of all things.
It's a feeding frenzy all right. And sadly, nothing new.
 
I got the humor. I was asking a question, hence "regarding speed". Do you seriously think I'm so stupid that I didn't get the humor at all?

Not at all. Quite the opposite.

But sometimes people around here get a little locked into the whole District Attorney "just answer the question" type of thinking and they miss what was just an attempt at humor. I was a little surprised to see that you of all people didn't respond to the joke (usually you'll drop a smiley or something when someone cracks wise about something) and kept going with the speed questions.

Mea culpa.
 
No they don't. And they don't carry guns on patrol. They have zero authority either as law enforcement or as licensed private security.

They are neigbors, watching. Their duties are spelled out as observe and report. Their training consists of the police and the national organization telling them to *only* observe and report.

In any case, Zimmerman seems to have no connection with the actual Neighborhood Watch organization, and the word 'Captain' seems to have been entirely self ordained.

In the actual NW, a Block Captain would be the person who keeps the contact information for a smaller area of the overall neighborhood, not a para-military rank of any sort.
Correct me if I have this wrong; a fellow American (in Florida) can shoot another if she or she feels their life is threatened then evoke “stand your ground” and the police just walk away? What is the role of the police in such circumstances?
 
I'm not really sure I know how to answer this ...

Because, from what we know so far, the evidence appears to corroborate Zimmermans story ?

I'm not sure I understand why it's so hard to believe a 17 year teenager old would get tired of a short fat guy following him, and turn around and kick his ass ?
This doesn't seem far-fetched to me.

Zimmerman did not claim he was following Martin and Martin turned around and "kicked his ass". He claimed he was returning to his truck and Martin jumped him from behind. How much "corroborative evidence" is there that it happened that way?
 
Go back and read *all* the posts about Jackson before yours. Or don't.

Why?

1. I wasn't responding to *all* the posts about Jackson.

2. No, I am not claiming to be any other poster using multiple accounts.

3. If you hadn't incomprehensibly assumed (2), you would have no need to wonder whether multiple accounts are allowed.

4. I said nothing about Varwoche supporting some other odd assertion he may have made. I was referring specifically to his clear implication to the effect that I am a broad-brush-boy, apparently because I lumped together people who had already lumped themselves together. I suppose. Who knows what goes on inside Varwoche's head, or why. And why is it any of your concern, in any case?

So. Go back and read my posts. There are only a few of them. Then read the posts I responded to. Try to pay attention to specific context, and avoid going off on flights of fancy in which I am actually another poster talking about something else using multiple accounts. Do that, and then, possibly, you may begin to understand my very simple posts.
 
Last edited:
Correct me if I have this wrong; a fellow American (in Florida) can shoot another if she or she feels their life is threatened then evoke “stand your ground” and the police just walk away? What is the role of the police in such circumstances?

They are just there to fill out the paperwork. Then they go eat donuts.

:D
 
Not at all. Quite the opposite.

But sometimes people around here get a little locked into the whole District Attorney "just answer the question" type of thinking and they miss what was just an attempt at humor. I was a little surprised to see that you of all people didn't respond to the joke (usually you'll drop a smiley or something when someone cracks wise about something) and kept going with the speed questions.
Mea culpa.
All that is fine. Except the highlighted portion. What does that mean? I really tire of wink wink nudge nudge argumentation. Skating the line between just being humorous yet trying to make a point. Now, of course it can be both and I don't mind humor in a serious thread. But it is a serious thread. Is there a point about the speed? Is it okay to ask a question or is someone "not getting it" if he questions someone who repeatedly makes a point?

So please. Just answer me directly. If you don't know then that's fine but don't imply I'm doing something untoward for simply asking a question.
 
Correct me if I have this wrong; a fellow American (in Florida) can shoot another if she or she feels their life is threatened then evoke “stand your ground” and the police just walk away?

Floridian here. You're wrong..

Pretty much everything I've read on this case is somewhere between cartoonishly ignorant and flat-out wrong, with a preponderance of the former.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom