triforcharity
Banned
- Joined
- Jun 23, 2009
- Messages
- 13,961
Thanks for looking into it.
I went back and listened to the tape, and I can't make anything out clearly.
Thanks for looking into it.
I notice that the article used the phrase 'just a few feet ' from his father's door. Nothing is given to confirm its accuracy.
I hope that he is not a concealed-carry permit holder. Those of us who do carry should know that it is a responsibility not to be taken lightly and is in no way a license to kill.]
Here's a new article (more of a editorial) that made the front page of Google new and it plays the race card:
http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...-Slain-black-teen-21st-century-invisible-man-
I notice that the article used the phrase 'just a few feet ' from his father's door. Nothing is given to confirm its accuracy.
If that *is* correct, then the 'stand your ground' statute would indicate that the victim was not necessarily the aggressor, but was in fact, turned so as not to present his back to his pursuer, as would be the legal right of anyone in a place where they had a right to be.
Which adds weight to the belief that the victim was engaged in self defense and was shot while doing so.
Siiiigh... No, not anywhere period, anywhere you have a right to be.The Florida stand your ground law applies to ANYWHERE. It can be a local convenience store, a front porch, or my boat. ANYWHERE.
It doesn't matter where he was in relation to his father's house. Martin had a right to defend himself.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes..._Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0776/Sec013.HTMA person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force
In fact, several things that might bolster the shooter's self defense claim seem consicuous by their absence.
From what? Being followed?Martin had a right to defend himself.
So you agree that the tape doesn't indicate who was screaming for help?I went back and listened to the tape, and I can't make anything out clearly.
It isn't dense. I wasn't there, I have no idea what really happened other than the obvious homicide.Sorry to be so dense, but what would those things be?
Siiiigh... No, not anywhere period, anywhere you have a right to be.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes..._Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0776/Sec013.HTM
So yes, the fact that the victim was leaving a place he had a right to be, and almost made it to another place he had a right to be, *does* matter, very much... it works against any claim that the victim was in the wrong by turning to confront his pursuer. It could make the shooter's injuries a product of the victim exercising his rights under the law, which removes at least one leg from any 'self defense' stool.
Had the shooter caught up with him in a location where he had no right to be, say a few feet from someone's back door on the opposite side of the complex, then the shooter's self defense claim might have more credibility.
With this piece of information, it has less.
By all accounts, the victim had every right to be running toward his father's place.
More importantly, there doesn't appear to be any information to suggest that the shooter had any *reasonable* grounds to think otherwise.
In fact, several things that might bolster the shooter's self defense claim seem conspicuous by their absence.
From what? Being followed?
There has been no evidence presented whatsoever that Zimmerman attempted to detain Martin, or grabbed him, or even spoke to him.
So you agree that the tape doesn't indicate who was screaming for help?
And if Martin hadn't gone OUTSIDE to get skittles this wouldn't have occurred.He admitted to following Martin, outside of his vehicle.
If he had NOT been OUTSIDE of his vehicle, this would not have occurred.
And Zimmerman had every right to leave his vehicle, and to follow anyone he wished. Just like Martin had the right to go outside to get skittles.If he had been inside his vehicle, and Martin attacked Zimmerman there, I would be standing up for Zimmerman's right to defend himself.
He shouldn't had followed him outside of his vehicle. Period.
And if Martin hadn't gone OUTSIDE to get skittles this wouldn't have occurred.
And Zimmerman had every right to leave his vehicle, and to follow anyone he wished. Just like Martin had the right to go outside to get skittles.
Martin's father at first said he couldn't tell, only later did he change his tune.No, not at all. Please follow the links back to what I was speaking about.
Here, I will help you out.
I said that Zimmerman claims self defense within minutes of the shooting. Another poster (OnlyTellsTruth) asked me if it was immediate, or it was within minutes, or seconds. I said I wasn't sure, but would listen to the tape to see if I could make out anyone saying self defense, or anything of the sort.
I did go back, and listen to the tape. I cannot make out anyone saying anything about self defense.
However, there is clear evidence that someone is calling for help, and after the shot is fired, which you can clearly hear, the calls for help IMMEDIATELY stop.
Martin's family also confirm that the calls for help is in fact the boy, and not Zimmerman.
Conclusion, based on what I have heard, is that Martin was screaming for help, and Zimmerman shot him, ending his pleas for help.
How is it a stretch? It's not illegal to follow someone.Did you warm up before that stretch?
Martin's father at first said he couldn't tell, only later did he change his tune.
The recording isn't high quality, as you'd expect from a telephone microphone picking up ambient noises through a wall or window. I certainly wouldn't be able to identify the voice if I knew the people involved, and I doubt Martins' parents could either. The voice of a person screaming doesn't sound like their normal voice, and the recording is poor.
Martin's father for one, by his own admission.Yeah... what parent could possibly recognize their child screaming...