That position is not equivalent to opposing people caring for animals in principle; there's always a place for animal companionship, and it fits in very well with their philosophy of kindness to animals.
The statements in my previous post demonstrate otherwise.
Just a few more:
"I am not a morose person, but I would rather not be here. I don't have any reverence for life, only for the entities themselves. I would rather see a blank space where I am. This will sound like fruitcake stuff again but at least I wouldn't be harming anything." Ingrid Newkirk PeTA (Washington Post, November 13, 1983)
"Probably everything we do is a publicity stunt... Ingrid Newkirk PeTA (USA Today, September 3, 1991)
I don't think kindness is really a motivating factor for PETA.
"Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause." Alex Pacheco, Chairman of PeTA (Gazette Mail, Charleston, WV, January 15, 1989)
"Killing a defective infant is not morally equivalent to killing a person, Sometimes it is not wrong at all." – Peter Singer "Practical Ethics" (Cambridge University Press, 1993).
Torturing a human being is almost always wrong, but it is not absolutely wrong." --Peter Singer, as quoted in Josephine Donovan, "Animal Rights and Feminist Theory," Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society, Winter 1990, p. 357.
PETA also supports known eco-terrorist organizations:
When ALF member Roger Troen was convicted of burglary and arson at the University of Oregon, in which $36,000 in damage was inflicted, PeTA paid Troen's $27.000 legal fees and his $34,900 fine. Gary Thorud testified under oath that "we were
illegally funding this individual with money solicited for other causes, and Ingrid was using that money, bragging to the staff that she had spent $25,000 on the case."
Deposition of Gary Thorud, Berosini v. PeTA, at 49-50.
Rodney Coronado, a member of the Animal Liberation Front, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 57 months in prison for the destruction of an animal diagnostics research lab at the University of California, Davis in April, 1987 (total damage estimates: $4.5 million). PeTA sent $45,200 to Coronado's 'support committee,' which was a sum
15 times greater than what PeTA spent on animal shelters nationwide in all of that year.
Read those bolded parts until they sink in. PETA doesn't care about animals or people, only in their image; as evidenced by their strong ties to to eco-terrorist group ALF.
PeTA Statement, June 19, 1991, in response to ANIMAL LIBERATION FRONT Vandalism at Northwest Farm Foods Co-op:
"We cannot condemn the Animal Liberation Front... they act courageously, risking their freedom and their careers to stop the terror inflicted every day on animals in the labs. (ALF's activities) comprise an important part of today's animal protection movement."
"I would be overjoyed when the first scientist is killed by a liberation activist."
Vivien Smith, Animal Liberation Front (ALF) (USA Today, September 3, 1991)
"And I think for five lives, 10 lives, 15 human lives, we could save a million, two million, ten million non-human lives"
Jerry Vlasak, Animal Liberation Front Spokesperson ("Animal Rights 2003" National Conference August 3, 2003)