...all positives disregarded.
It's not that I
disregard your "positives"; it's that I see them more as negatives. You're talking about limited, short-term successes that will only entice us to continue plodding farther down the path toward a long-term energy future that simply doesn't exist -- and, along the way, squandering precious resources that might instead have been used to create an energy infrastructure that could actually be sustained.
Dynamic, if you wonder why I've not "answered all your questions" it's because I already know where you head with this theory, and as I indicated, the facts in the real world don't support it.
Actually, I haven't wondered about that. I've always known that it was because you are aware that you cannot answer in a way that is both factual and also supportive of your political ideology. What I'm really wondering is why, after all this time, you've never noticed the transposed letters in the spelling of my screen name.
And at this point the Peak Oiler says "But oil is different"
Oil
IS different, mhaze. It mostly has to do with this thing called "energy density". You might want to Google that. If oil were
not different, then all this investment in contorted efforts to squeeze the stuff out of oil shale and whatnot would be directed toward building things like windmills and solar panels instead.
Shale in Colorado alone contains far more oil than Saudi Arabia
And the methane oceans on Saturn's moon Titan contain hundreds of times more hydrocarbon than on all of Earth. Look. Say you are the beneficiary of a trust fund worth a hundred million dollars, but the trust was set up so that you get a thousand dollars on the first day of every month, but never, under any circumstances, can you get another dime until the first of the next month rolls around. It's the first of the month, and you've got your check, but the landlady is at the door, and she wants her money. Your rent is twelve hundred dollars. So you're short. You keep pointing to all the millions of dollars in that trust fund, but the landlady doesn't want to hear it. She wants her money
today.
Demand for oil in the US is roughly twenty million barrels
per day. It doesn't matter how much oil you've got in the ground, because you can't meet that
daily demand with oil that's still in the ground. You have to extract it first. So what
really matters is the
rate at which you can extract that oil. I want to hear again what the projections are for
rates of production from those projects.
But you didn't hear me when I said "in situ", which implies you didn't here the argument against your point of view. And also, it means that you likely don't know about the vertical density of the deposits in Colorado, or the way energy inputs would be generated locally in those plans.
But I know you
did hear
me when I asked you repeatedly to explain
how those energy inputs would be captured and used, which means that you likely don't know the first thing about that. You're just parroting some of the selling points the operators of those projects toss around as a means of attracting investors.
Peak Oil made pretty good sense when oil shale wasn't viewed as easy to recover and make a profit on.
Oh, so now oil shale is not only viewed as
profitable; it's viewed as
easy to recover. I guess that just shows how views can change over time. A Texas oilman of the early 1900s would have regarded the idea of going after the oil contained in those shale formations as
insane. Back then, among the technical challenges he would have faced was handling those blowout events known as "gushers", which sent columns of oil spewing hundreds of feet into the air.
Peak Oil theories stand diametrically opposed to a major growth industry of the US and Canada.
No. No more than was the case in 1956 when Hubbert presented his findings to the American Petroleum Institute. At the time, he was working for Shell Oil, a major player in what was then a major growth industry in the US. He did not present his findings as a way of "standing diametrically opposed" to the industry that had employed him for well over a decade, but as a way of providing that industry with a tool for planning its future. There were those in the industry who stood diametrically opposed to his findings, but the thing to remember is that it turned out that they were wrong, and he was right: He accurately predicted the peak of US production, and he did it fifteen years in advance of the actual event. Peak Oil denialists continue to reject Peak Oil theory. Oil industry analysts now accept it. In much the same sense, creationists reject evolutionary theory, while biologists accept it. I'm past seeing that as strange, because there is a simple explanation: a lot of people are just stupid.