• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

You assumed on your own opinion that Android tablets "suck" in the first place, and then made the generalization that Android tablet users want upgrades for the reason of your own presumed premise.

That's begging the premise that Android tablets "suck" and then making a hasty generalization based on that premise.

Besides that, it's off topic.

This thread is not about Android tablets. This thread is about Apple.
 
OK, "the competition" is admittedly not just one product. There are actually several competing tablets that offer better cameras, upgradable storage options, more flexibility and functionality than the Apple for the same price.

Is that better?

Fewer fallacies, yes. For someone who likes to point out other peoples fallacies, I think a little more introspection would be in order.

A better argument ? Not really.
 
Fewer fallacies, yes. For someone who likes to point out other peoples fallacies, I think a little more introspection would be in order.

A better argument ? Not really.


Except it wasn't really a fallacy, was it? You were merely nitpicking because my argument about the "Mac vs. PC" false dichotomy was stuck in your craw.



Are you as excited about the iPad 3 as I am?


As I said before, I'm not very interested in tablet computers as a form factor to begin with. I'm just as interested in productivity as I am in playing games, so I value a machine that provides both functions far more than some overpriced toy.

So to answer your question: not particularly, no.
 
Last edited:
It's because the service providers reserve the right to examine and approve all the code before they push it out to their devices. That's no fault of Android as a platform.

Really, it's because they are busy examining and approving the code - not something else ? Do you think you could back that up with evidence ?

Of course, unless you're using an extremely outdated handset, you can download and install the upgrade yourself, so long as your provider hasn't blocked that functionality.
Assuming you have the ability to compile the source, have access to the proprietary drives that may be necessary for your device, and can make it all work.
So you can, except when you can't.

In my case, I have a Google Nexus phone so I just get the upgrades as soon as they get pushed out. I don't really give two craps about what new OS they happen to be marketing at the mo, so I usually get the upgrade without even realizing it. I reboot my phone and that's it. I'm on the new version. What-evah.

You have a phone that limits your freedom by having no SD slot ? OMG !!!! So is it only bad when apple limits your freedom, not samsung/google ?
 
Really, it's because they are busy examining and approving the code - not something else ? Do you think you could back that up with evidence ?


No, the real reason is because Android sucks and Google's just doing it to annoy you. :boggled:


Assuming you have the ability to compile the source, have access to the proprietary drives that may be necessary for your device, and can make it all work.
So you can, except when you can't.


I already said you could under some circumstances, but not all. Drivers are not the issue. The issue is the cellular providers reserving the right to approve the code and choose which functionality they want to allow on devices connected to their networks. The handsets run Linux. They already have the capability to compile the code.


You have a phone that limits your freedom by having no SD slot ? OMG !!!! So is it only bad when apple limits your freedom, not samsung/google ?


Wow, you managed to completely ignore everything I said in the interest of making an ill-conceived argument based on your own misunderstanding of the facts!

Lack of expandable storage is just one aspect of the iPhone that limits its users freedom.

It's not Google that's limiting anything. Google just makes the Android OS (which is actually a GUI system that runs on top of the Linux kernel that the hardware runs).

The handsets are made by Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc. to the specs of the service providers, like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. The handsets run Linux. Android runs under the Linux kernel that the phones are running.
 
Last edited:
I showed where you get more for the same money with the competition's product. If you think a sandblasted aluminum case is worth sacrificing functionality and flexibility for, then go ahead and buy the Apple.

Except it wasn't really a fallacy, was it?

If you don't see any fallacies in your original statement, I'm not going to argue with you. Everyone reading the thread can decide for themselves.

You were merely nitpicking because my argument about the "Mac vs. PC" false dichotomy was stuck in your craw.

Nothing 'stuck in my craw'. I've determined, simply by observing the way you've been discussing matters in this thread, that you fail to attentively read what others say if they happen to challenge your own opinion. That much is blatantly obvious, based on the number of wild misconceptions and strawman arguments you've made, and the way you've flown off the handle with crazy presumptions about things that have already been clearly stated by others.
 
No, the real reason is because Android sucks and Google's just doing it to annoy you. :boggled:

I said nothing about android sucking. I asked you for evidence of your assertion about what carriers are doing with the code. So no evidence, just your opinion. So noted.

I already said you could under some circumstances, but not all. Drivers are not the issue.

You've never cooked your own ROM, have you ?

The issue is the cellular providers reserving the right to approve the code and choose which functionality they want to allow on devices connected to their networks. The handsets run Linux. They already have the capability to compile the code.

If I can install custom roms, how are the carriers limiting anything ? I'm not following you here.

Wow, you managed to completely ignore everything I said in the interest of making an ill-conceived argument based on your own misunderstanding of the facts!

What did I ignore? Isn't lack of an SD slot limiting your freedom ?Yes or No ?

Lack of expandable storage is just one aspect of the iPhone that limits its users freedom.

And one aspect of the Nexus that limits its users freedom.

It's not Google that's limiting anything.

You said I have a Google Nexus phone

So google didn't choose to design a phone with no SD slot ? And you didn't choose a phone that limits your freedom by not having expandable storage ?
 
If you don't see any fallacies in your original statement, I'm not going to argue with you. Everyone reading the thread can decide for themselves.

I think John's primary fallacy is formally an Argumentum Ad Suckum.

It generally takes the form:

A sucks
B is A
Therefore B sucks.

For instance...

Apple sucks
An iPad is an Apple
Therefore an iPad sucks.

Unless it has USB ports, that is! :p
 
That is totally absurd on the face of it.

But when we see Steve return in his glory, we'll see who has the last laugh! :D

And so it is written in the Book of Jobs.

Oooh, reminds me. I have to get my head shaved before we sacrifice a Zune the night before the iPad launch.
 
What about the 3Gs? I'm not sure what the criticism is that you are making, manufacturers all have different upgrade paths. Apple's route is to charge for minor upgrades to OSX

Evidence please ? Can you define 'minor' as well, please ?

and their usual upgrade path is to simply stop support for relatively recent hardware (my Mac Mini and my iPod touch for example).

Didn't we determine that your mac mini was a G4 (or am I recalling another thread incorrectly?) I'm not sure how you can define that as recent with a straight face.

Can you define what you think relatively recent hardware means in terms of a time frame ? And how that is apples 'usual' path ?

Other manufacturers have different upgrade paths, for example my Samsung phone was upgraded to Android 4 the day after it was released, but my other half's phone will only be upgraded at the start of next month.

What phone got ICS the day after it (ICS) was released ?

Just because a new version or upgrade has been released does not mean that your phone or device stops working you know....

I think the bar has been set now for phones to receive 'updates'.

Generally speaking, when your device can be improved via software updates, and you don't get updates, and the reason doesn't appear to be a technical limitation, that frustrates people and can make the manufacturer look bad/greedy/incompetent/whatever.
 
I tell you man, there just ain't no easy way.



imagesqtbnANd9GcS6qbi-_9-aGOTKnrnRYOvMu9glwAtGKrIz0pmdPy3ev2vU-iWF.jpg




:D
 
Yeah, my TV is about five years old and only had one HDMI input. Fast forward two years when I actually had something to plug in to it I found out it's a defective jack and it's out of warranty.

I checked for some sort of HDMI converter but from what I gathered it's not that easy. Reviews for adapters are pretty bad both in terms of getting it to work and picture quality. I've had some success streaming through my PS3 and that'll tide me over until I get a new TV this year (I hope).
Does the TV Have a DVI input? That can more readily be made to convert from HDMI, but you'll lose audio in the process and must connect separate audio cables from the ATV to your TV. (fiber optic TOSLink).
 
I've determined, simply by observing the way you've been discussing matters in this thread, that you fail to attentively read what others say if they happen to challenge your own opinion. That much is blatantly obvious, based on the number of wild misconceptions and strawman arguments you've made, and the way you've flown off the handle with crazy presumptions about things that have already been clearly stated by others.

I've determined, simply by observing the way you've been discussing matters in this thread, that you fail to attentively read what others say if they happen to challenge your own opinion. That much is blatantly obvious, based on the number of wild misconceptions and strawman arguments you've made, and the way you've flown off the handle with crazy presumptions about things that have already been clearly stated by others. Another clue is your own proclaimed ignorance of evidence that others have posted, such as your ignorance that I'd already posted a definition of the word "overpriced," and the numerous times you've denied that people posted examples of comparable machines that cost significantly less than Macs. I can tell that you've even failed to read the stuff that you yourself have posted as evidence, because I did read it and so I know that it did not support the points you were trying to make.


Nice try, but no.
 
You've never cooked your own ROM, have you ?


Hehe. Yes, actually I have.


If I can install custom roms, how are the carriers limiting anything ? I'm not following you here.


Because replacing a tiny surface-mount ROM chip on a cellphone PC board is rather beyond the technical capabilities of nearly all cellphone users. We're not talking about hypothetical users with unlimited technical ability and high-tech equipment at their disposal for modifying their own phones.

Besides, burning and replacing ROMs is totally unnecessary. One could easily "root" their Android phone if they want to install whatever software they want. Just like iPhone users can "jailbreak" their phones.


So google didn't choose to design a phone with no SD slot ? And you didn't choose a phone that limits your freedom by not having expandable storage ?


No, and no.


What did I ignore? Isn't lack of an SD slot limiting your freedom ?Yes or No ?


You ignored the fact that the Nexus One has a micro-SD slot.

So as I said before, no.


You said I have a Google Nexus phone

So google didn't choose to design a phone with no SD slot ?


No, they didn't.


And you didn't choose a phone that limits your freedom by not having expandable storage ?


No, you're wrong.

Why do you insist on making these idiotic arguments? What exactly are you trying to prove?
 
Last edited:
I think John's primary fallacy is formally an Argumentum Ad Suckum.

It generally takes the form:

A sucks
B is A
Therefore B sucks.

For instance...

Apple sucks
An iPad is an Apple
Therefore an iPad sucks.

Unless it has USB ports, that is! :p


Um, I never said Apple "sucks."

Are you guys really so incapable of honest, reasonable discourse that you have to resort to this kind of nonsense?

I'm discussing this issue calmly and rationally and you guys are going all bonkers. It's rather pathetic.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom