• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

iPhones and iPads are priced right on par with the competition.

The MacBook Air is priced fairly. Not a bargain but not terribly expensive.

Much bigger discrepancy with the Apple desktops and the competition.

Wouldn't buy most Apple accessories or peripherals. Too expensive.
 
BWAHAHAHAHA! Oh my me! Sums up Apple fanbois to a tee! :D

...well, no. I don't like Apple products: I had to use a Mac last year for six months and I hated every moment of it. I can't stand the interface and found it exceptionally counter-intuitive.

John Albert claims Apple prices are overpriced simply because they are higher: this isn't necessarily so. No need to let logic and basic economics go out the window just because you have to find new and inventive ways to belittle the "Apple fanbois."
 
...well, no. I don't like Apple products: I had to use a Mac last year for six months and I hated every moment of it. I can't stand the interface and found it exceptionally counter-intuitive.

Heh... I had to use a Mac and hated it for a week. Had to unlearn all the Windows habits and was constantly getting frustrated. Then it all started to fit together as I learned to do different things to get to the desired result.

Something I found interesting was that after I learned OS X and multiple Linux and Unix ways of doing stuff, there were no problems moving between different machines with different OSes, and performing the right actions to get the desired result. It was like once they became ingrained to the same level, it was easier to apply the right steps in each case.
 
...well, no. I don't like Apple products: I had to use a Mac last year for six months and I hated every moment of it. I can't stand the interface and found it exceptionally counter-intuitive.

John Albert claims Apple prices are overpriced simply because they are higher: this isn't necessarily so. No need to let logic and basic economics go out the window just because you have to find new and inventive ways to belittle the "Apple fanbois."

How is it "logical" to pay more for the same thing just so that Apple can turn over record profits?

Logic indeed :rolleyes:
 
...in simpler words: PC Computers are under-priced: Apple Computers are priced correctly.


You completely missed the point.

Apples are PC computers. There's absolutely no difference in the internal hardware. The only differences are in the cabinetry and operating system.

Apples are overpriced.
 
You completely missed the point.

Apples are PC computers. There's absolutely no difference in the internal hardware. The only differences are in the cabinetry and operating system.

Apples are overpriced.

They *cannot* be overpriced if people in increasing numbers are prepared to pay for them. You may not see the value in the offering at the price specified, but that is a different discussion.
 
You completely missed the point.

Apples are PC computers. There's absolutely no difference in the internal hardware. The only differences are in the cabinetry and operating system.

Apples are overpriced.

...I'm shopping for a new laptop right now.

Whats better: an Intel i7-2630QM, or a Intel i3 2310M? Do I get a AMD A-Series A6-3420M
or a AMD A-Series A8-3520M? Do I get a ATI Radeon HD 5145 or a nVivia Geforce 540?

I know for a fact that I can buy a Macbook Pro right now that will provide all of my business needs. The Mac is used quite extensively in my industry with no issues at all: I could go to the shop and confidently buy a Mac right now that would do everything I wanted it to.

I would gladly spend a couple of hundred dollars extra to get a laptop that just worked: unfortunately I don't happen to like the Mac interface and I'm not one to tinker. So instead I'm having to devote quite a bit of time trying to decipher exactly what Intel Core i5 2410 2.3 GHz means.

Now you might want to pretend that making things easier and offering less choice hold no value and that the only thing of any worth is the cost of components: but this isn't true. John: you've provided no evidence that Mac's are overpriced: this is simply your opinion that you are welcome to hold, it doesn't make it true.
 
...I'm shopping for a new laptop right now.

Whats better: an Intel i7-2630QM, or a Intel i3 2310M? Do I get a AMD A-Series A6-3420M
or a AMD A-Series A8-3520M? Do I get a ATI Radeon HD 5145 or a nVivia Geforce 540?

I know for a fact that I can buy a Macbook Pro right now that will provide all of my business needs. The Mac is used quite extensively in my industry with no issues at all: I could go to the shop and confidently buy a Mac right now that would do everything I wanted it to.

I would gladly spend a couple of hundred dollars extra to get a laptop that just worked: unfortunately I don't happen to like the Mac interface and I'm not one to tinker. So instead I'm having to devote quite a bit of time trying to decipher exactly what Intel Core i5 2410 2.3 GHz means.

Now you might want to pretend that making things easier and offering less choice hold no value and that the only thing of any worth is the cost of components: but this isn't true. John: you've provided no evidence that Mac's are overpriced: this is simply your opinion that you are welcome to hold, it doesn't make it true.

As long as you're not doing high end graphics (and by high end I mean 3D motion type stuff) or playing the latest games then all that really matters at this stage of the game is battery life, RAM and the hard drive. Get as much ram as you can and get as large and as fast of a drive as you can afford. The rest is just window dressing.

If you are intending on doing the high end graphics type stuff then look at the software you intend on using and see what the maker recommends and go with that.

Then look at the reviews for that particular machine and make your decision.

It's not rocket surgery.
 
24ywxgj.jpg
 
How is it "logical" to pay more for the same thing just so that Apple can turn over record profits?

Logic indeed :rolleyes:

...from accusations of being a "Apple fanbois" to a laughing smiley to a "logic indeed" and a roll eyes. Wow, you've really got a handle on this whole internet debating thing haven't you!!! I will raise you a :rolleyes: and throw in a :D

In the absence of any other evidence the statements "Apples are overpriced and PC's are priced correctly" and "Apples are priced correctly and PC's are underpriced" both hold equal weight. John asks us to look up the individual components of the Mac and to compare it to comparable PC components and this will prove they are overpriced: that would involve me going through the Mac website: understanding what each of the technical components mean, then trying to find the matching PC component.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Now if you know your way around computers this isn't a hard thing to do. If you don't: then its time consuming and time costs money.
 
If your time is worth that much, then you probably have several assistants who can do the research for you.
 
In the absence of any other evidence the statements "Apples are overpriced and PC's are priced correctly" and "Apples are priced correctly and PC's are underpriced" both hold equal weight.


No.

Both of those statements make no sense, because, as I pointed out numerous times already in this thread:

The "Apple vs PC" thing is a MYTH.

There is no basic hardware difference between Apple Macintoshes and any other brand of home computer.

Apple Macintoshes are Intel x86 "PC" computers just like all other "PC" computers based on the Intel x86 architecture.

The internals of a Mac are the same exact hardware, made by the same manufacturers in the same factories that make those same parts for other Intel x86 computers.

The only differences between a Macintosh and any other computer are the Mac OS, the fancy case, and the Apple brand name, for which you pay almost double the price of any other computer.
 
Last edited:
As long as you're not doing high end graphics (and by high end I mean 3D motion type stuff) or playing the latest games then all that really matters at this stage of the game is battery life, RAM and the hard drive. Get as much ram as you can and get as large and as fast of a drive as you can afford. The rest is just window dressing.

If you are intending on doing the high end graphics type stuff then look at the software you intend on using and see what the maker recommends and go with that.

Then look at the reviews for that particular machine and make your decision.

It's not rocket surgery.

...my current computer indeed meets all the minimum specs for the principal software I will be using as listed below. And it moves like a dog and is one of the reasons I'm upgrading. I'm pouring over photography forums and asking for advice: I'm comparing different models from four different laptop makers, comparing reviews, learning the lingo...Learning that 8GB is better than 6GB and is better than 4GB...this stuff is second nature to some people but another language to most others.

Or I could buy the industry standard Mac. That is lightning quick. Its not rocket surgery to see why some people choose the second option and choose to pay a little bit more.
 
If your time is worth that much, then you probably have several assistants who can do the research for you.

...my hourly billable rate is $150 + GST: the four hours I spent last night laptop shopping (and I still haven't decided yet!) would make up the price difference between buying a PC and buying a Mac.
 
...my current computer indeed meets all the minimum specs for the principal software I will be using as listed below. And it moves like a dog and is one of the reasons I'm upgrading. I'm pouring over photography forums and asking for advice: I'm comparing different models from four different laptop makers, comparing reviews, learning the lingo...Learning that 8GB is better than 6GB and is better than 4GB...this stuff is second nature to some people but another language to most others.

Or I could buy the industry standard Mac. That is lightning quick. Its not rocket surgery to see why some people choose the second option and choose to pay a little bit more.

Or you could ask in a forum like this and they could point out a PC with similar specs and much cheaper.

But this is not to say that nobody should buy Apple. Someone may like the design, appreciate the "closed" environment, the ease of choice. I even justify elitism. What I can't -personally- stand is the attitude that Macs are something for those "who know", that they are overall better than any PC and that those who use them are actually more productive.
 
...I'm shopping for a new laptop right now.

Whats better: an Intel i7-2630QM, or a Intel i3 2310M? Do I get a AMD A-Series A6-3420M
or a AMD A-Series A8-3520M? Do I get a ATI Radeon HD 5145 or a nVivia Geforce 540?

I know for a fact that I can buy a Macbook Pro right now that will provide all of my business needs. The Mac is used quite extensively in my industry with no issues at all: I could go to the shop and confidently buy a Mac right now that would do everything I wanted it to.

I would gladly spend a couple of hundred dollars extra to get a laptop that just worked: unfortunately I don't happen to like the Mac interface and I'm not one to tinker. So instead I'm having to devote quite a bit of time trying to decipher exactly what Intel Core i5 2410 2.3 GHz means.

Now you might want to pretend that making things easier and offering less choice hold no value and that the only thing of any worth is the cost of components: but this isn't true. John: you've provided no evidence that Mac's are overpriced: this is simply your opinion that you are welcome to hold, it doesn't make it true.

Honestly, this is just argument for the sake of arguing. Or are you attempting to claim that Apple should be allowed to overprice their goods because they've done the hard work of selecting a set of components for you already? You do realize that most other laptop manufacturers offer the exact same service for quite a lower price, right?
 
...my current computer indeed meets all the minimum specs for the principal software I will be using as listed below. And it moves like a dog and is one of the reasons I'm upgrading. I'm pouring over photography forums and asking for advice: I'm comparing different models from four different laptop makers, comparing reviews, learning the lingo...Learning that 8GB is better than 6GB and is better than 4GB...this stuff is second nature to some people but another language to most others.

Or I could buy the industry standard Mac. That is lightning quick. Its not rocket surgery to see why some people choose the second option and choose to pay a little bit more.
You could do the same with Fujitsu, Dell, IBM/Lenovo, Alienware, Sager, etc. And you would still pay less.

But that's kind of what Apple preys on. People who don't know/care to learn what the different specs are and how far from the top tier Apple's selected components actually are.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom