• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

When other companies have loyal customers they have "loyal customers".

Apple's are cult-members?

There's certainly something in the air that causes all these Apple vs PC battles, and I'm pretty sure that PC users didn't start it. Sure, you can find all kinds of wars in the computer industry but this is probably the most widespread. Personally I don't get it, but it's the action that causes the reaction. I don't usually have people bragging to me about how greater their Pepsi is than my Coke, or how better is BMW compared to Mercedes, and so on.

This is probably more close to something like Beatles vs Rolling Stones in the old days.
 
There's even an online dating site specifically marketed towards Apple users: http://cupidtino.com/

Cupidtino is the first ever "Mac-inspired" dating site. It's goal is to bring Apple fans and lovers of beautiful hardware and software design together.
Cupidtino is a beautiful new dating site created for fans of Apple products by fans of Apple products. Why? Diehard Mac & Apple fans often have a lot in common - personalities, creative professions, a similar sense of style and aesthetics, taste, and a love for technology.

We believe these are enough fundamental reasons for two people to meet and fall in love, and so we created the first Mac-inspired dating site to help you find other Machearts around you.
It's Exclusive.

An Apple device is required to sign up and login

​


This kind of crap is what I really hate about Apple fandom.
 
Last edited:
I don't care who's right and whether it did well or not, but I care about the interface because unfortunately I bought it :D

You can install Rockbox on an iPod. Then, you'll be able to get away from iTunes, and can drag-and-drop to your heart's content. I use it, and think it's fantastic.
What's more is the Rockbox installer does not remove the original firmware; it dual-boots. So if, for some reason, you do want to use iTunes, you can just choose to boot into the original OS instead.
 
There's certainly something in the air that causes all these Apple vs PC battles, and I'm pretty sure that PC users didn't start it.


I think the "PC" users start it just as often as the Mac users. The Mac users just tend to bear more of the brunt because of their perceived elitism.


This is probably more close to something like Beatles vs Rolling Stones in the old days.


Reminds me of the Great Ford-Chevy Wars:


25ujehc.jpg

90unuo.jpg


16ga6ol.jpg

qxriq9.jpg
 
You can install Rockbox on an iPod. Then, you'll be able to get away from iTunes, and can drag-and-drop to your heart's content. I use it, and think it's fantastic.
What's more is the Rockbox installer does not remove the original firmware; it dual-boots. So if, for some reason, you do want to use iTunes, you can just choose to boot into the original OS instead.

Thanks, I have already installed Rockbox. Only that I discovered about it a full year after I got the iPod. But these days I only use my cellphone as a media player.
 
Former Mac fanboy, here. Back in my Apple days, the fanboy-ism wasn't just about how great Apple's software/hardware was, it was also about railing against the Great Evil Microsoft. I don't know if it's the same way now, but back in the late 90s, Apple fans hated Microsoft, and, as far as we were concerned, Apple was the only thing stopping MS from completely conquering the market.
 
I have really had it with this perception.

I write bash scripts on my Mac.

I set up an SVN server that was visible through a web interface over the internet. Doing this required messing around with such arcane things as httpd.conf.

You can tinker with Mac OS X. The point is, you don't have to.

You can upgrade them too. I haven't done that a lot, only having replaced video cards, added RAM or added hard drives.

It's like creationists. You can tell them the truth about evolution over and over, but they don't get it.
So tell me, where besides an Apple store can you buy components for your Mac?
 
Marketing - Apple epitomises what all brands strive to achieve. People go on about the quality, the technology and so on but what Apple really should be viewed as the world leader in is marketing. I can't think of any other company that has been so successful at marketing the brand, the nearest would be Coca-Cola but its great days of marketing are all in its past.
I can name one - the Chicago Cubs. Over 100 years of abject failure and their fans are more loyal than ever, it's almost like their brains have been rewired or something.
 
Apple products are very intuitive if you've never spent much time using a computer before, and very unintuitive if you have. They're great for people who run around clicking every shiny ad, with scripts globally enabled and no protection, then complain about malware.

I can't recall ever running into a fanatical Windows fanboy/girl... probably because Windows is simply a tool, while OSX is a lifestyle.

You Windows people are just upset that the underdog is now worth more on the stock exchange.

OSX is not a lifestyle any more than a Mercedes is a lifestyle.

And I do know a fanatical Windows guy. He said, "Vista is fine". He will brook no complaints about Windows.
 
iTunes screwed that all up after I spent a fairly significant amount of time sorting it that way for a reason.

That is a setting. "Keep iTunes Media folder organized". Turn this off; it is a horrible option.


So tell me, where besides an Apple store can you buy components for your Mac?

Here's one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6615718/

You can get components for Macs all over the place. Hard drives, RAM, video cards; these are all non-Mac-specific components. There are many more.
 
I can name one - the Chicago Cubs. Over 100 years of abject failure and their fans are more loyal than ever, it's almost like their brains have been rewired or something.

That one fails straight away, the boy scout movements golden years of brand success are a long time ago......
 
You Windows people are just upset that the underdog is now worth more on the stock exchange.

I seriously could not in any way care less about the position of Apple or any other company on the stock market. What I like and dislike about Apple and their products has about as much to do with stock market position as it does with the brand of toothpaste that their new CEO uses. Until you mentioned stock market position, not only could I not have told you whether Apple shares were worth more or less than those of any other given company but I would have told you I didn't care. I still don't care.

OK, with that point out of the way, what were you saying?
 
for the record, I own one Apple product: a 4gb third generation silver ipod nano. It plays music, podcasts, and movies perfectly well, but the process of getting files onto it and off it is irritating. I prefer something that you can plug in and just drag and drop stuff to without having to install software.
 
How do you know they aren't like me and use a mixture of different providers including Apple?

from the OP:

"Perhaps I've been missing something given that the only Apple product I've ever used is my iPod"
 
I'm not quite sure why a PC from 40 years ago stops being "the first PC" just because it wouldn't be considered very useful today. It was a PC then and useful at the time - and if we're talking about "first" then "at the time" is surely all we care about isn't it?



It's not because it wouldn't be very useful. It's because the meaning of "PC" has changed in the intervening decades. Programmable machines were called "computers" as early as the 19th Century, yet most people today would not consider such a device a computer.

You forget that I was talking about the modern "Mac/PC" debate, therefore I'm obviously talking about a modern definition of PC, thus when I say "the first PC" I am talking about the first PC by the modern meaning of the word.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom