• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Why vegans are simply better people

Shepard's pie is specifically a pie with a top & bottom crust made of potatos, and filled with mutton or lamb.

If another kind of meat is used, it is more properly called 'cottage pie.'
 
Shepard's pie is specifically a pie with a top & bottom crust made of potatos, and filled with mutton or lamb.

If another kind of meat is used, it is more properly called 'cottage pie.'
You are right of course. However, terms evolve. In my journeys shepherds pie is made with hamburger. The dish with lamb is traditional Irish shepherds pie. Terms evolve everywhere but I think we take it to new lows in in America, we tend to bugger everything.
 
You are right of course. However, terms evolve. In my journeys shepherds pie is made with hamburger. The dish with lamb is traditional Irish shepherds pie. Terms evolve everywhere but I think we take it to new lows in in America, we tend to bugger everything.

Yah, I grew up eating cottage pie made with hamburger and calling it sheperd's pie, too. :)

I guess the thinking is that sheperd's herd sheep, so their pies would just naturally contain mutton. :)
 
Yah, I grew up eating cottage pie made with hamburger and calling it sheperd's pie, too. :)

I guess the thinking is that sheperd's herd sheep, so their pies would just naturally contain mutton. :)
Oh, your logic is sound. But what does logic have to do with anything? We drive on a "parkway" and park on a "driveway".
 
Excellent info on the various pies ... I had never heard of cottage pie ... just found a couple good recipes on the net. I'd plan to make a traditional one with mutton some time soon.
 
"Almond Milk" is a popular vegan product here in Canada ... and it says the word milk on the carton ... so why use fake 'milk' ??

It's a relatively common term for the "juice" of a nut ie; coconut milk. Similar to "butter"; peanut "butter", almond "butter" sesame "butter" etc. It's a colloquialism.
I wouldn't try to read too much into this. "hamburger" isn't made of ham, why are they trying to make it seem like it's smoked pork? Do they want to make you think it's bacon? :p
 
The only thing more annoying than an annoying person with a dumb opinion is an annoying person with a smart opinion. Add to this a strong moral component and you're looking at a very annoying person.
 
This whole thread was nothing but a big troll, the OP writer never responded to anything.

Bye-bye.
 
Lol, I find it a lot more likely that it's because they know about the superior taste of meat and want to enjoy it without getting their hands dirty. ;)

That's a great debate in itself. I think "cheese" has the superior taste, although you can make a case for "sauces". Sauces have an unfair advantage because they're a combination of flavours while cheeses and meats tend to be more uniform. Then "vegetables" have hundreds of different flavors, and can taste considerably different "raw" and "cooked".

As a reformed vegetarian I find some meat to be absolutely revolting, in need of considerable salt and spices to be palatable. Vegetables are much more consistent. I've never had a bad green bean smothered in butter and salt and pepper. I can't say the same for pork or even beef. And I'm talking about good cuts, like a strip or a sirloin.

But I digress....
 
A Vegan diet can be fine ... but why disguise so many dishes as thought they are meat??

Gateway foods for carnivores?

I'm a meat eater, and I find some of the products quite tasty. Sure they don't exactly trick you, but texture and flavoring really help. I'd probably eat them more often if they weren't so pricy.
 
I really don't get the argument for veganism. Are they going to stop every predator prey relationship? If not what makes us different?
 
What has any of this got to do with being vegan?

Are you saying that vegans are incapable of eating to excess and getting fat?
<Snip>

Yes. Because, while any number of individual vegan dishes are tasty and satisfying, eating only vegan dishes is a soul-killing lifestyle. Also, bogus moral superiority is cancerous. It's been proven.
 
If I tried to play sports (hockey, football) while on a vegan diet, I probably would have had to retire long ago.

I recall reading somewhere (sorry no cite, I'll try to find it) that an athlete that doesn't eat meat-protein would actually have to eat during competition to maintain energy, and would be very prone to muscle injury.

To be honest, I don't know how true this is, but it does make sense. I'll see if I can't track down a reference.


There are several websites for vegetarian/vegan body builders and they seem to be showing plenty of muscles. In my opinion though they look just as weird as meat eating body builders.

cheers

joolz
 
There are several websites for vegetarian/vegan body builders and they seem to be showing plenty of muscles.

I don't body build, I train for martial arts. Quite frankly I don't know of anyone in full contact martial arts that is a vegan, though I suppose it's quite possible. I tried it once for several months. Despite the best advice and making sure I got the right combinations, I just could not eat enough to maintain energy levels.

As I said previously, I deplore many farming practices and I don't eat veal, etc. However, I don't see myself being a successful vegan nor do I see a moral imperative to be one. The farming practices I deplore have nothing to do with whether or not I eat meat. They have to do with an industry that has gone too far towards profit by any means.
 
I do suspect in a century or so folk will look back on our behaviour regarding animals breed and reared for meat production like we look back on those great people from the past who kept slaves!

A century from now we will be using vegans as forced labor to tend our livestock. It will be good for them - they will be surrounded by all you can eat vegetables and grains while they personally oversee that the animals are treated kindly. Instead of veggie burgers wasting valuable freezer space in the market, there will be even more varieties of microwaveable breakfast sandwiches.

Everybody wins.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom