• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Why vegans are simply better people

I support the idea of reducing meat but I'm a little concerned with the huge amount of over-processed food in my vegan friends' diets. Boca burgers, fake bacon, soy chicken nuggets - all that stuff uses up far more resources than free-range chicken or grass fed beef.

I understand the motivation behind cruelty-free eating but beyond that many points of vegan smugness don't bare up under close scrutiny.
 
In what way? Before you attempt to answer, consider that (for lack of a better example off the top of my head) Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a chain smoker, and Osama bin Laden was not.
.....

And Hitler was a vegetarian and very intolerant of smokers.

Godwin's law. This thread is ended.
 
When you go out into public, it is impossible not to see fat slobs wherever you go. Basically fat footballs with a head on top. Why are they such, just like the smokers.... they eat excessively because they enjoy it and will worry about the consequences later.

They are ugly. Not just because they are obese. But their fat, disgusting bodies are a testimony to their own extreme selfishness and complete lack of discipline. Their bodies are testimony to the worst afflliction one can posess....selfishness, glutony, overindulgance, lack of empathy, and refusal to set an example on how to live well for others, especially our children.....whatever you want to call it...if its bad,,,,baby you go it.

I don't eat flesh, fish or fowl, don't buy cows milk or eggs and have minimal dairy. I am fat and ugly. Kinda spoils your argument doesn't it?

A friend who was vegan for over 20 years, wrote vegan cookery books, contributed a lot to society and didn't smoke sadly died of cancer at a young age. Kinda spoils your argument there too doesn't it?

I met a family of vegans who had abused their children, not because they brought the children up vegan, which is ok, but because they didn't make the effort to ensure that the children got all the vitamins etc they needed in their vegan diet. They were no advert for veganism either, so vegan doesn't always equal superior.

You are a troll. Most vegans I know have compassion - and their compassion extends to humans too. Thanks for setting the vegan/vegetarian cause back a few decades with your profound lack of social skills. You give the rest of us a bad name.

People have become veggie/vegan through talking with me because, if asked, I am happy to discuss why I don't eat meat in a rational and polite manner and I've been out there doing talks about the connection with veganism and the 3rd world and giving cookery demos etc. There's a time and a place to persuade people to look at what they eat, and starting this thread with an arrogant lecture and a claim of superiority is not the place to open a rational debate.

I repeat, you are a troll.

joolz
 
Their bodies are testimony to the worst afflliction one can posess....selfishness, glutony, overindulgance, lack of empathy, and refusal to set an example on how to live well for others, especially our children..

Curious, your post seems to clearly establish that you are suffering from the worst affliction one can possess, it is selfish, gluttonous(of your own imagined self worth) sets a horrible example and most importantly is stunningly lacking in empathy. It is also poorly written and loaded with basic errors.

Thanks for posting it though. lulz.

/Poe's law? Or just a classic case of a hypocrite losing it? By the way, the ribs tonight? Yeah. they kicked ass!
 
@reverebison

I guess I'm going to add my voice to the choir of people basically annoyed at your apparent arrogance and lack of intellectual honesty.

1. A choice of lifestyle, whether good or bad does not make you good or bad unless you negatively affect others by it. If you smoke but you don't smoke around others who can't get away... I don't care at all. This is from someone who does not smoke or drink. Heck, I don't care what you do to yourself as long as your bloated carcass doesn't stink up the place.

2.
Meat and oil do not just contribute to heart disease, they are the cause. thats right they are the cause.

BS.

Barring physiological differences, it's not what you eat (within some reasonable guidelines) that makes you fat... it's the contrast between what you eat and what you do. People used to have to work from dawn to dusk... hard, nasty work. You needed every single calorie. Nowadays, we have a more sedate lifestyles but despite this our metabolism, in general, still wants to store energy just in case.

I have heard that Olympic athletes consume between 5000 to 10 000 calories a day.

As far as sugars are concerned, again as long as you work it off, it's not a problem.

3. Cruelty to animals.

I deplore a lot of the farming practices and I don't eat veal. That said, there are a lot of alternatives to traditional meat that don't include being a vegetarian and are perfectly reasonable.

I wonder though...

If you are concerned about the plight of animals and you are vegan because of it and you are just such a superior moral person... what are you doing wasting time, money and using a computer to tell us this.

1. Most electricity in the US is generated by coal plants, one of the most ecologically destructive processes you can find. Are you using all green electricity I wonder.

2. For the cost of your computer, at least ten children could eat enough to live in Somalia. Are you not a good enough person to sell the thing and send the money to them?

3. What about your carbon footprint? Are you completely carbon neutral or do you hate the Earth? Do you recycle everything? Do you use planes that pollute, or cars? Do you mulch your food wastes?

4. Every year thousands of cats and dogs die horribly of various causes because they are abandoned. How many have you adopted and how can you refuse to help the others?

5. Each year, thousands of people across North America (just to name one area) suffer from poverty and malnutrition. Are you doing enough to help them or are you just keeping your vegan food selfishly for yourself.

Moral absolutes make for a hard path to tread.



Lastly... I think that your attitude makes you a great deal less moral or ethical than anyone you might have mentioned.
 
Homo Sapiens Vegetabulus....No doubt a superior breed.

What do you win if you live two years longer than one of us carnivorous types?

Pass this um...winner a brocoflower.

Aggressive vegans (note many of whom are with PETA) who politicize their eating habits and the eating habits of others are as appealing to me as religious hysterics. There is also a saying; you draw more fans with honey then with horse apples.

For example, telling those who eat meat are lesser people than those who are vegetarians will win few converts. Such will gain you disdain from many quarters. Having a veggie cook off with lots of tasty dishes the meat eaters have never even heard of yet taste wonderful plus cook books will perhaps turn a handful of fence sitters to the vegetarian way.
 
Those foods are something I don't understand at all. Why go for foul-tasting imitation meat when you can make delicious food out of veggie materials? Does it make you even better people when you make yourself suffer for not eating meat?

I personally like a lot of fake meat products, personal preference I guess.

I'm not even a vegetarian, I love meat. I eat fake meat stuff sometimes for a few reasons:

1) I'm uncomfortable with factory farming and not wealthy enough to always buy animal products from tiny humane farms. The least I can do is satisfy at least some of my meat craving without killing more animals. I'm imperfect. It isn't a moral argument I place on anyone else, just a personal comfort preference that I feel better contributing a little less to factory farming.

2) I like the taste and experience. Soy dogs for example are much lighter than regular dogs. I'll take a soy dog any day over a regular hot dog. It's probably not much healthier, still very processed.

3) I was brought up in a really meat and potatoes household. Having something that's protein-y and in the meat-like range of texture just makes a meal feel more complete for me, and I think a lot of other non-vegetarians feel the same way. When I'm cooking food for a lot of people, some of whom are vegan, making something like a chili with fake meat is likely to be satisfying and tasty for vegans and non-vegans alike.
 
My experience has been:

people who use the word "vegan" to describe themselves = pretentious, condescending douchebags who try to talk down to you with a smug smile.

people who call themselves "vegetarians" mostly = are usually alright.


This thread certainly doesn't help to dissuade me. In its honor I will have a "triple kill + torture" sandwich. Ham, chicken and roast beef with cheese and egg.
 
I shoot, butcher and eat wild animals. It makes me happy. And I am taking some people from work to the range next week after work finishes for the year, to teach them to shoot.

I guess if I was a vegan, I could take them to a park and berate them smuggly, but on balance, I think I am a better person than you.
 
I ain't gonna be at the top of the food chain to be a vegan...
 
I believe that vegans are better *tasting* people. Their meat is delicious!

It is kinda like corn-fed beef and venison. All of those veggies gets rid of that gamey taste.
 
Those foods are something I don't understand at all. Why go for foul-tasting imitation meat when you can make delicious food out of veggie materials? Does it make you even better people when you make yourself suffer for not eating meat?

Some of it is pretty bad - soy fake-hotdogs? Makes no sense. But some veggie burgers are amazing! They aren't a hamburger, they are their own thing and amazingly tasty. Astroburger in LA has a veggie reuben that is crave worthy. Problem is, all super-processed vegan food is really bad for the environment. More info here.

http://motherjones.com/environment/2010/07/is-vegetarian-diet-green

However, a spicy homemade black bean burger is well worth looking into sometime. Even for non-vegetarians. Easy to make, much cheaper than beef and you can make them as spicy as you want. They grill up with a slight crispness on the edges that is perfection.

ETA; Which was totally your point, sorry about that. I just started thinking about Astroburger and got too hungry to think straight.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom