Michael Mozina
Banned
- Joined
- Feb 10, 2009
- Messages
- 9,361
It doesn't "help" the charge to build up. It isn't like a catalyst! It is absolutely essential. No insulator means no build up of charge and no sudden release of huge amounts of energy. The occurrence of lightning absolutely hinges upon the existence of a dielectric medium.
The "buildup" (not the RELEASE/DISCHARGE) requires an insulator. So what? I already 'briefly' explained to you that the currents will form into field aligned currents. The magnetic field around the current will act to PINCH the current into tightly wound "tornado like' filaments that Alfven compares to "wires". During the pinching process the magnetic fields act to evacuate the regions directly around the filaments. This less dense region acts to INSULATE the filaments from the surrounding plasma. I suggested to sol that he read the first three chapters (the free online chapters) of Alfven's book, Cosmic Plasma since Alfven explains all this, including the maths. Evidently he did that because he seems to grasp the idea now. I suggest you do the same if you ever expect to earn you particle physics merit badge in my book.
Earlier in the thread I rounded up some of my links. I'm pretty sure that a link to Alfven's book is in there somewhere.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7601955&postcount=3356
It requires the dielectric to become conductive.
Correct. In order for the actual "release of stored energy/electrical discharge" to occur, the medium has to become conductive. The flow of current, and the release of that stored energy, cannot occur WITHOUT a conductor.
Sigh. The potential difference that is achievable depends on the breakdown voltage of the insulating medium (effectively by definition). The bigger the potential difference the bigger the amount of energy that can be stored and then released. So the energy released at breakdown is dependent on the properties of the medium when it is an insulator, not its properties after breakdown.
It's pretty much the same with plasma only it's the total circuit energy that defines the potential release energy. Mann and Onel nail it pretty nicely actually. In fact I think they probably understand the concept at least as well as Alfven. They seem more adept to me actually, but that's just my opinion of course.
Why are you citing this here? I was asking for a definition of "breakdown". Unless the search function is faulty in my pdf browser then there isn't a single mention of the word breakdown in that article, let alone a definition.
Ya know...
If you're going to ask me for references on circuit theory in plasma physics, and you want to discuss the release of energy according to circuit theory, you're going to at least need to familiarize yourself with the materials that I believe are relevant. If you aren't going to make any effort, no particle physics/plasma physics merit badge for you.
I'm pretty sure they didn't use the vague, hand-wavy language you have been using.
No, in fact they use those dreaded "maths" you folks love so much, and they tied it all back to satellite imagery too, which is why I love it so much. It's a pity you're being scientifically lazy.
Then you are being totally inconsistent. One minute you tell us your model, because it is an electrical discharge (per your preferred definition), can show all the properties of lightning (which is an electrical discharge) but that MR only has one of the key observable properties. The next you are telling us that actually MR is also every bit as much an electrical discharge.
In terms of Peratt's definition it's an "electrical discharge" either way. In terms of what has been empirically done with "magnetic reconnection" in it's own right (separate from electrical discharges), it's a wimpy 1 of 6. If you can't physically distinguish your process however from an ordinary "electrical discharge in plasma", I don't need your theory *AT ALL*. It's a redundant and useless theory if you can't demonstrate it's "special" in terms of the release of energy inside the current sheet. In fact, Alfven outright rejected MR theory inside of a current sheet. Why? BECAUSE HE DIDN'T NEED IT, HE EXPLAINED IT WITHOUT IT!
No. Why should I waste my time when, if you had the slightest clue what you were talking about, you should be able to give a really simple answer?
I've given you the 25 cent version. If you want the full version I suggest you read those free chapters of Alfven's book for yourself and you read that paper by Onel and Mann. Both of them explain the release of "circuit energy" *WITHOUT* any need of 'magnetic reconnection'.
FYI, in the final analysis, I long ago offered to "compromise" so long as you gave your dumbed down maths a logical name. When we look at your lab tests, it's clear you dumbed down the maths because the E field that drives the whole experiment isn't mentioned in the formulas! They are all dumbed down to the B orientation. In the end you're all going to have to accept that the E/particle orientation is equally valid because Maxwell's equations solve in both directions, and you yourselves turn on the ELECTRICITY (E) in the lab to power most of your own experiments.
Last edited:
!