• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

GOP to Planned Parenthood: Hand over records

Stupid is letting Massey energy dump arsenic in people's drinking water.

Stupid is letting republicons write environmental regs. The silly little drongos seem to think that mining company lobbyists are better at that than biologists and water chemists.

Wierd.

No the biologists and water chemists are all libs, thats whats weird.

So again the repubs are lookin out for me. You would have us all huddled in tents cooking are food on open fires(burning evil wood) no thanks.
 
Government giving kids mixed signals.

Your prediction would be wrong.

Our family is having lots of success having our kids wait until marriage. Not drinking or doing drugs.
I know I grew up in a family like yours. I was bound and determined to do it another way.

So you think.
 
Government giving kids mixed signals.

Even if true, that doesn't stop parents from parenting. Not even close. So what mixed signals do you think took parenting away?

Your prediction would be wrong.

It isn't wrong yet. You simply dodged.

Our family is having lots of success having our kids wait until marriage. Not drinking or doing drugs.

So?

I know I grew up in a family like yours. I was bound and determined to do it another way.

I doubt you know anything about my family, but if you really were bound and determined to do it another way then you are undoubtedly evil. My family loves and supports one another despite differences. We cherish the time we have together, and try very hard not to hurt each other. We push one another to succeed and grow. To do it another way, you have to remove the most basic thing that my family is, which would be love. I can think of few things more evil than trying to remove love.

So I don't think that's actually what you meant.
 
No the biologists and water chemists are all libs, thats whats weird.
So again the repubs are lookin out for me. You would have us all huddled in tents cooking are food on open fires(burning evil wood) no thanks.

And here I thought you were being serious. Nevermind.
 
I doubt you know anything about my family, but if you really were bound and determined to do it another way then you are undoubtedly evil. My family loves and supports one another despite differences. We cherish the time we have together, and try very hard not to hurt each other. We push one another to succeed and grow. To do it another way, you have to remove the most basic thing that my family is, which would be love. I can think of few things more evil than trying to remove love.


Sorry did not mean to insult you. I agree, only difference is Christ is added to our's.

So why would you want the gov interfering with your kids growth? Do you think they have your kids best interest?
 
Some things I've been wondering about:

-- How much federal funds are we talking about, and how does it compare to other federally funded programs that do not undergo special audits?

-- To whom are these records being given? A neutral organization headed by accountants, or a Congressional committee headed by Republicans?

-- What would happen if PP neglected/refused to comply? Does a "request" from Congress hold the weight of a subpeona?

How much money? That's not even known, but it is > 350M/year. Part of the request to PP is for the accounting of funds.

To whom are the records being given: Congr. Oversight. All committees are chaired by the dominant party, so yes, at this time, Repubs.

If PP didn't comply? There would be a chaired and formal investigation. I think the informal request now does not have the weight of a supoena, but once an investigation starts, it certainly does.
 
Well, to be honest - all the data shows "abstinence only " education to be a total failure and result in as many unwanted pregnancies and STDs as no education whatsoever. That it fits your personal preconceptions based on religion explains why you advocate a failure over actual science.
I've not argued the scientific merits of A vs B. I've just noted that it is Alaska and Texas, the responsibility of the local school board to determine what will be taught regarding sex ed.

Probably a lot of other states, also.

Now you can argue that the local school board is making a sub optimal decision regarding the long term welfare of their students. You could argue that morally, the school board should take a stand opposed to that of the local parents.

But I'm saying that the local school board DOES, IN REALITY, have these rights, and thus it doesn't really matter what you say. And previously, I mentioned that it doesn't really matter what Palin thought or said. It seems as if to the progressive liberal, high up government officials actually should be in control of suggested sexual behaviors of the population.

What you are really arguing is that Wash DC - knows best and can or should dictate what is taught, either overtly or subtly.

And I'm opposed to that, on a constitutional, practical and many other basis.
 
Last edited:
This is called an "anecdote". There is actual research on such things.
Ahh....actually Joe, you are wrong here. A population has certain statistical characteristics overall. However, within that population there may be high or low subgroup variability and more importantly, individual variability.

This creates a situation where it's possible for the statist to argue "policy xyz is best for the state"

....but where simultaneously, it is possible for the individual to argue "but ABC is best for me!".

The two are not inconsistent and can coexist by the laws of statistics.

Now, you could have a point if for example, the US Government argued "against only abstinence education " and a specific state argued "for abstinence education". Assuming the state population wasn't different in the relevant aspects to the country, then your argument would have merit.

So you see, anecdotes actually do have merit as long as they are not considered to invalidate the statistical averages and conclusions. And I don't think Logger did that - he simply said "Here's what works for us".
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom