People die no matter what they do. End of story.
No. People EVENTUALLY die no matter what they do. There's a lot that can be done to adjust when that happens.
People die no matter what they do. End of story.
Don't worry, it's only a news report. It's the one below that's got the actual data.
ps works ok for me though. Page from the Indie:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/passive-smoking-does-not-cause-cancer-1347192.html
I'm not sure that there is, actually. I believe life expectancy in the West is by and large driven by genetics, not environmental factors.No. People EVENTUALLY die no matter what they do. There's a lot that can be done to adjust when that happens.
Read the summary of epidemiological studies I linked to earlier. There's your data."Their report, which contradicts previous findings, was immediately attacked by anti-smoking campaigners and cancer charities who described it as "appalling" and noted it had been funded by three big tobacco companies."
You're taking that seriously after the Tobacco companies knowingly lied about smoking for DECADES?
Like base jumping, skate boarding, rock climbing, eating a lot, lumber jacking, potholing, free fall parachuting, horse riding, playing Russian Roulette, scuba diving, free diving, etc. ?
I'm not sure that there is, actually. I believe life expectancy in the West is by and large driven by genetics, not environmental factors.
Read the summary of epidemiological studies I linked to earlier. There's your data.
I've looked up the study and I find it strange that the Independent reported that the study was funded by the tobacco companies. It appears to me that Indie hacks had received phone calls from anti-smoking campaigners and believed them when they said "funded by the tobacco industry!" without checking whether that was true or not."Their report, which contradicts previous findings, was immediately attacked by anti-smoking campaigners and cancer charities who described it as "appalling" and noted it had been funded by three big tobacco companies."
You're taking that seriously after the Tobacco companies knowingly lied about smoking for DECADES?
Edit: It is working now, btw. Before they must have been having some sort of problem.
The bolded stuff is certainly very dangerous or a large health risk for our population, and I don't have a problem with the government working to make the situation better. A lot of the other stuff doesn't seem to be that big of a deal as long as proper safety measures are taken (which in most cases there are laws about).
Are you saying skate boarders shouldn't wear helmets or something? Or scuba divers shouldn't be required to check their gear? What?
Who's that, Deborah Arnott? Oh pur-lease.Just looked at it. A pdf made by someone strongly against smoking bans, who even acknowledges there are many studies that show a significant risk of second-hand smoke, but makes a big deal out of them not entirely agreeing with each other or studies that have flaws (and hence can be safely ignored)? Yeah, I think I'll stick with the experts on this one.
No, it's a newspaper article, and I've already pointed out. Look up the WHO/IARC study on passive smoking published 1998 for some further data.I think you are biased on this, if you seriously consider the newspaper article to be good evidence (enough to have posted it).
That's totally not true. In fact, insufficient health care is a major factor in the USA. Smoking DOES decrease average life expectancy, etc, etc.
Life decreases your life expectancy. The longer I'm alive, the nearer I get to death.So does eating a lot of fast food.
ps most people feel so strongly about tobacco smoking these days that you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who doesn't stand squarely on one side of the fence or the other. That's one of the problems; the ban has been so divisive. People who never felt strongly either way about other peoples' smoking habits have become zealots. Or smokers have become political radicals. Remember when we were young and we all just used to get along together, man?
Skate boarders wear helmets?T
Are you saying skate boarders shouldn't wear helmets or something?
Where do you live, dude?Skate boarders wear helmets?Where do you live, dude?
ps most people feel so strongly about tobacco smoking these days that you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who doesn't stand squarely on one side of the fence or the other. That's one of the problems; the ban has been so divisive. People who never felt strongly either way about other peoples' smoking habits have become zealots. Or smokers have become political radicals. Remember when we were young and we all just used to get along together, man?
I've looked up the study and I find it strange that the Independent reported that the study was funded by the tobacco companies. It appears to me that Indie hacks had received phone calls from anti-smoking campaigners and believed them when they said "funded by the tobacco industry!" without checking whether that was true or not.
The study concerned was commissioned by the WHO, and carried out France's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). It was not funded by the tobacco industry. When the study showed no statistically significant elevation in risk for those exposed to SHS, Stanton Glantz, famous tobacco prohibitionist, searched for links with big tobacco. He found none, and of all the people who would find tobacco sponsorship if there was some it would be Glantz.
Perhaps the Independent didn't want to face a complaint by ASH being filed to the Press Complaints Commission so they decided to bend to ASH's will. After the Sunday Telegraph reported the results of the study, ASH filed complaints with the PCC about the article and accompanying editorial, calling Telegraph journalists "dupes of the tobacco industry". The PCC did not uphold the complaint, but needless to say you can understand why other newpaper editors wouldn't want ASH all over them.
Nefarious goings on, I'd say.
I'm saying that smokers should be allowed to smoke if they choose to without sanctimonious sourpusses getting on their backs.
Who's that, Deborah Arnott? Oh pur-lease.
The author of the book, Chris Snowdon, published the results of over 60 epidemiological studies as an appendix. He didn't need to give an opinion, the results of those studies speak for themselves. Most studies show no statistical significance. To say that it is proven beyond doubt that SHS causes disease is a lie.
No, it's a newspaper article, and I've already pointed out. Look up the WHO/IARC study on passive smoking published 1998 for some further data.
So does eating a lot of fast food.
Life decreases your life expectancy. The longer I'm alive, the nearer I get to death.
Skate boarders wear helmets?Where do you live, dude?
I smoke about three cigarettes a day,thin hand rolled. I live in the country and I'm sure I would do more damage to my lungs and body if I was a non-smoker living in a polluted city. Tomorrow I am baby sitting my grandson and I will not smoke. I am not addicted to nicotine. The rabid anti-smoking brigade tar all smokers with the same brush. (No joke intended)
I've read a lot of stuff on passive smoking debate over the years. It's all in my noodle, as Mozart said in the film Amadeus. I'll try and find you some online refs this evening.First, citation?
The WHO/IARC wasn't just any old study. It was a large, Europe-wide research programme looking at over 1,000 lung cancer cases, twice as large as any study that went before it.Second, it disagrees with a lot of earlier studies. If you have a list of studies and one disagrees, you generally assume the disagreeing one is wrong. Studies can be wrong from time to time, that's why verification is important. ONE study showing no link doesn't mean much.
But there is no serious risk of injury from SHS, the risk is tiny. In fact, in most research studies its found to not be signifcant i.e. not there. Relative risk (RR) is the concept used by epidemiologists to compare disease rates in populations. The RR for disease caused by SHS was found by the EPA to be so low that it had to change the gold standard Confidence Interval of 95% down to 90% in order to show significance (see the Osteen decision for details)And I disagree with that in cases where there is a serious risk of injury to yourself or others.