• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

iTunes Downloads taking Forever

Just got back from the Sprint Store. They cleared the wireless modem's cache, reset it, and tried it. they said that 4G was working fine now, and that 3G was streaming with no buffering. I tried it when we got back home. still no 4G network found. 3G still gets an "F" on speedtest.net. I
 
And, this is the problem with cellular. There are simply no guarantees that it will work in any given location. The number of potential problems with interference are astronomical.

You can try moving it to a different room... But... As with a cell phone, where sometimes you just kind of have "dead zones", no matter where the coverage areas say you should have service, you may just be SOL in your house.

The hardware itself may be perfectly fine. But if cell signal is not reaching it in a reliable manner... There's not much you can do about that. Other than perhaps switch to a wired internet provider. At this point, bottom of the barrel DSL service would get you about 3x the throughput.
 
At this point, bottom of the barrel DSL service would get you about 3x the throughput.
Agreed. If there's any way to make some other broadband access happen, it's highly recommended.

In my apartment, I get terrible cell service. If I walk outside and up 10 steps to the parking lot my connection becomes perfect. I could never rely on it for Internet service.
 
Agreed. If there's any way to make some other broadband access happen, it's highly recommended.

In my apartment, I get terrible cell service. If I walk outside and up 10 steps to the parking lot my connection becomes perfect. I could never rely on it for Internet service.

Babby, I just noticed - we're almost neighbors, sorta.
 
The latest:

Day before yestrerday, I took my laptop and my wireless modem to the Sprint store. Using my hardware, they were able to get a 4G connection, and far better (though still abysmal) speeds at 3G.

They checked a map and confirmed that I should get 4G from my home, installed the latest version of the connection software, reset my modem, then sent me home.

From home, still no 4G network found. the 3G speed was marginally better.

When I called and told them, they opened a sevice ticket so that some other Sprint people, with access to better tools. they asked me to call those folks and complain, as that would escalate the issue.

I called the number and left a message.

The next day (yesterday) the higher-up tech guy called me and walked me through some debugging. No progress was made, but he told me that he had access to a more detailed map of the coverage, which showed that our apartment was right on the border of getting 4G coverage. He also scheduled tower techies to come and examine the towers in our area, to see if the hardware is functioning properly. They will call me when they finish, and the ticket will not be closed until I confirm that all is working acceptably.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom