No they can be arrested and put in smoker friendly cells.
Yes, I was just thinking that's the problem with the "War on Drugs," it doesn't waste enough money or imprison enough people.

No they can be arrested and put in smoker friendly cells.

Maybe addicts should be able to apply for a card (Much like how foreigners can get an alcohol card in Dubai) To buy cigarettes or tobacco product you'd be required to show the card. Perhaps then this is all we need and the smoking age thing becomes superfluous.
That's the way to go. Banning smoking outright probably wouldn't work, but we could stamp it out in a generation doing it your way.
I don't get why the smokers get singled out, it's a choice. I don't think they should ban it.
What is a bigger problem, the health risks of smoking or the health risks of obesity? They should be taxing the chit out of a burger at McDonalds and such as well then.
I don't see much evidence, if any, that banning smoking would be save money on healthcare, at least in the UK.
The cost of smoking related diseases to the NHS is somewhere between £1.7 and £5 billion. Tax revenue from smoking is around 10 billion.
If you don't care for it, take yourself away from it; out of the situation.
Then we can go on to ban alcohol, fast food, soft drinks, cars...man to list goes on.
What else can we go ahead and ban while we are here?
(I have been smoke free for a long time, and I find them rather disgusting myself.)
nope put all the smokers in one enclosed (airtight) mandatory area, and seal them off from the rest.
second hand smoke effects air quality and the health of others, it's not a choice or a right.
nope put all the smokers in one enclosed (airtight) mandatory area, and seal them off from the rest.
Seatbelt law.Can you give an example of such a law you would prefer not removed?
So does vehicle exhaust, but I bet you are around those everyday.
You don't need to smoke.
Seatbelt law.
Drug and medicine abuse laws.
Work safety laws.
I agree, mostly. However, as a child I was forced to live in smoke for much of my childhood (my parents eventually quit). Having quite strong allergies (my allergist said I was the worst case he'd seen, which was probably an exaggeration but indicative) I can't say I view it as much different than child abuse. So, yes people are allowed to infect themselves with venereal diseases, or what have you, but not their children. Where public policy should fall out given that I'm not sure.- people have a right to be as healthy or sickly as they want. A person can drink themselves until they die, gamble away their life savings, contract as many venereal diseases as they please, eat fastfood everyday of their lives -- but they can't smoke? Seems like a bizarre and irrational exclusion, why shouldn't a person have a right to smoke until they die?
One of my friends is a nurse who works in emergency care. Most people injured in traffic accidents are people who don't wear seatbelts in cars or helmets on a bike. (Crazily enough, I see people riding in shorts, no shirt, no helmet on the interstate. If someone like puts the bike down in the interstate, they're basically gooified.) Those people use a lot of hospital resources, drive up the cost of healthcare, and drive up the cost car insurance -- which takes money out of my pocket.Someone not wearing a seat belt becomes a projectile in a crash, and they can easily injure someone else.
nope, just smoking, because of second hand smoke.