Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader, TLA Dictator
Yeah, I love the subtle art of a great magic trick and felt a little cheated by the TV producers. I don't expect a whole lot from TV though.
I thought the highlight of the skeptical segment was when the incorrect biographies were dropped to the floor. Everyone in the room chuckled at that.
Van Praugh not my favorite guy, but he said something "on target" I've heard before that I don't like to go unanswered. The idea that somehow believers are more open or broadminded, that they "think out of the box" and therefore enjoy an advantage in creative thinking (I'm probably paraphrasing Van Praugh here).
This is just not so. I'd almost class it as a "big lie".
Yes, that's specifically, in terms of Madison Avenue, and flim flam men everywhere, the "pitch". Every scam artist from Richard Gage to Benny Hinn does that gambit. You, faithful reader(or listener or watcher) are special. You go beyond the mundane and can see further afield than many of your acquaintances, can't you? You're sensitive to things that others don't notice, am I right? You've noticed this yourself many times but may have been reluctant to talk about it openly. blah blah blah
After that sort of set-up, convincing them that they are actually not just the everyman or everywoman they appear to be, but a member of the special elite, they then throw out the hook with a tiny tidbit on it like your mom liking roses or that dad was "sometimes difficult*", and the sucker bites and is just reeled in. "Yes, that's right! That's me!"
*I saw one of them do that on some show. The guy in the audience gasped! Jeez Louise! What dad isn't sometimes difficult? And he didn't even finish the sentence before the mark gasped. Difficult... to find? to understand? to get along with? No, just "difficult"... "Gasp!"