bookitty
Philosopher
- Joined
- Jul 26, 2009
- Messages
- 5,732
Fair enough. Thanks for taking the time.
Yeah, but we don't compare each other to rapists do we? Hmm, lets get past this . . .
I agree with Phil (and you) on this, and I think the majority would do well to follow his advice. Nonetheless there is room for well done sarcasm that isn't nice at all, such as some of George Hrab's work, but then I don't think that rises to the level of being a dick. Honest and in your face, but not quite dickish. So, I see a need for some freedom to explore that boundary, but that should not be the core of any serious movement.
See, that is what I am getting at. In my mind I would rather be Watson on that elevator than Stef in that audience. I'm not either of them, but I do have empathy for both of these situations. Especially ten minutes later, or even ten seconds later. Watson was annoyed by the approach according to her initial report. I would say Stef was embarrassed several times worse than Watson was annoyed.
So, we are in agreement on several points now.
1. Watson's original video has real merit. You may find it more compelling than I do, but that is a matter of degrees.
2. Watson's response to Stef leveraged the power of her position as a prominent speaker to beat down someone who disagreed with her in a very rude way. I think this borders on unforgivable if she wants to be taken seriously as either a feminist or a skeptic, you find it dickish. Again, a matter of degrees.
3. Dawkins was rude in his vapid post. I think he was being rude to PZ and others, you take it as being rude to feminist. That may be a more significant divide, but I can certainly see your point of view and I don't feel a need to defend Dawkins.
Yeah, I see limits on being a dick, so I don't see my position as hypocritical. You'll have to pin that on others.
BTW, thank you for this post. Reading through this you seemed to be talking past the people who were focusing on Watson's behavior as you were focusing on EG's behavior. I think if we are going to make movement on these issues we have to look at all the pieces. I respect you as a person from previous threads and I really did want to clarify your position on some of these things. I know I will have disagreements with people I respect, but still, I'd rather not!
It's all sort of the same problem, isn't it? There are no existing laws, rules or guidelines for DBAD. If you judge each case specifically on it's own merits after the fact, you can say that it was good, bad or ugly. But you can't say that there are established limits to dickery. Each speaker needs to judge their own actions and try to stay within some incredibly vague area of acceptable behavior.
Same with sexism within the movement. After the fact, one can judge whether an action was good, bad or ugly. But the only existing guidelines are the TAM code of conduct and that is for a specific situation. Each person needs to judge their own actions and try to stay within some incredibly vague area of acceptable behavior.
Remie mentioned the incredibly harsh response she got at TAM because she was not an atheist. Again, there are no guidelines for treating people who hold a belief deemed woo. Each person needs to judge their own actions and try to stay within some incredibly vague area of acceptable behavior.
You can not make or enforce guidelines that will account for every variable. With sexism for example, you can't say "no flirting at all," you can't say "Anything goes as long as you take no for an answer," and you can't fill in the middle properly.
All you can do is point out the problem and hope that people will add it to the information they use to judge their own actions and try to stay within some incredibly vague area of acceptable behavior.
Interesting sidelines of feminism aside, this is what I have been trying to get across.