Excuse the old joke, but I thought denial was a river in Egypt.
lol, could argue the same regarding your perspective
Excuse the old joke, but I thought denial was a river in Egypt.
So even though you do now have an explanation, you're just going to handwave it away?Interesting perspective but I would argue that is science's way of explaining the unexplainable.
How can you possibly know that? Have you spent a lifetime studying sleep, as those who did the work you just handwaved away have done?I know what I experienced and it had nought to do with any confusion between sleep and being awake.
Lucky you. I suffered from sleep paralysis and the associated hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations for most of my twenties, and they were mostly quite unpleasant.It was profoundly spiritual in nature and I am thankful for the experience.
Interesting perspective but I would argue that is science's way of explaining the unexplainable. I know what I experienced and it had nought to do with any confusion between sleep and being awake.
Bonzo, I've experienced the same thing as you, all my life. I've had demons and/or aliens in the room with me on multiple occasions. I've been paralyzed in the bed with someone sitting down behind me. It's as explained above in the link and brief quote. It's not real.
Seriously, why do people come to a skeptic board and say these things?
Wow, that's fascinating.[Anecdote]
On the one occasion on which I was strangled unconscious (with the WW2 British commando "Japanese strangle hold" technique) I distinctly experienced the "looking at a light down a dark tunnel" thingy before I went sleepy-byes.
[/Anecdote]
Post #13 covers this best. Essentially people do have the same experience under a number of hypoxic conditions. Hypoxia from fainting is probably too brief for the experience to occur.Today, I had a discussion with one of my co-workers about some paranormal stuff. He had a passing statement about NDEs that got me thinking:
"If the most widely-accepted explanation for near-death experiences is that the brain itself produces the images because of the lack of oxygen, then why don't people who faint report the same experiences?"
... he wondered, obviously thinking about that oxygen deprivation is the common denominator in both cases (fainting and clinical death).
I tried to google this, but no luck, so I thought I will ask this here: what other factors could contribute to triggering the NDE?