• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Chevy Volt production to ramp up.

BenBurch

Gatekeeper of The Left
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Messages
37,538
Location
The Universe 35.2 ms ahead of this one.
Factory currently maxes out at 16,000 units/year and they will have a re-tooling shutdown and when they re-open be capable of 60,000 units/year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-18/gm-to-increase-2012-chevy-volt-hybrid-production.html

<SNIP>

About 16,000 Volts will be built this year and 60,000 in 2012, Detroit-based GM said today in a statement. The automaker previously targeted output of 15,000 this year and 45,000 in 2012, Rob Peterson, a GM spokesman, said in an e-mail.

<SNIP>
 
%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CVN99058lg.jpg
 
I don't have a subscription to Consumer Reports though I've read they compared the E-cars and the Volt came dead last on a LOT of their markings implying that it's not a good quality E-car. If anyone has the article please share or knows what it contained.

Also the Tesla Roadster looks badass >.> I want one for free if I can ever with a drawing for it, if there ever is a drawing for it...
 
I can't see why anybody would buy a Tesla Roadster, either, but people do.

I don't get it either although it's a bit more understandable than the volt. I know a couple of people with Tesla's and they do enjoy them.
 
Other than the price...I happen to like the volt concept quite a lot. I recently read feedback data from actual use in the field that customers were typically using 1 tank of gas (8 gallons) per 1000 miles on average. Or roughly 1 month for 8 gallons.

http://transportationnation.org/2011/04/21/chevy-early-data-volt-drivers-go-more-than-1000-fill-up/

I dont think I could bring myself to buy a vehicle that can not drive cross country easily like purely electric vehicles.

I think with some refinement and production cost reduction...it can be a viable platform.
 
Last edited:
Isn't the Tesla a bastardized electronic Lotus Elise?

Yeah, pretty much. 3 times the price of the Volt, if not more, too.

I sometimes wonder how far ahead GM would have been in the electric car market if they had kept a few EV-1s around, and let a few enthusiastic engineers continue to work on the concept in some back room of their headquarters through the 1990s.
 
Other than the price...I happen to like the volt concept quite a lot. I recently read feedback data from actual use in the field that customers were typically using 1 tank of gas (8 gallons) per 1000 miles on average. Or roughly 1 month for 8 gallons.

http://transportationnation.org/2011/04/21/chevy-early-data-volt-drivers-go-more-than-1000-fill-up/

I dont think I could bring myself to buy a vehicle that can not drive cross country easily like purely electric vehicles.

I think with some refinement and production cost reduction...it can be a viable platform.

On that note of ease, how viable are recharging stations ever going to be? I think it's either the Volt or the Nissan Leaf; they need a different voltage output for the recharger (and that installation can cost a pretty penny) to charge the car in a timely fashion. Are there plans to standardize the plugs for all EV's in the future? Are there any infrastructure plans for that?
 
On that note of ease, how viable are recharging stations ever going to be? I think it's either the Volt or the Nissan Leaf; they need a different voltage output for the recharger (and that installation can cost a pretty penny) to charge the car in a timely fashion. Are there plans to standardize the plugs for all EV's in the future? Are there any infrastructure plans for that?

If there's anything more widespread than the retail gasoline distribution system, it's the electricity distribution system, so it shouldn't be that hard to come up with a viable network of recharging stations.
 
I don't get it either although it's a bit more understandable than the volt. I know a couple of people with Tesla's and they do enjoy them.

Tesla is not making money. Their actual business model involves funding from gasoline car makers who need to (because of gov regs) either produce electric vehicles or contribute to the costs of their production. So far no electric is competitively viable without the government teat involved.

With some other mainstream electrics coming out, Tesla is about to lose some of their business model.
 
More bad news for Volt sales:
General Motors said on Friday that it planned to halt production of the Chevrolet Volt for five weeks beginning later this month because dealers had more than they needed.

The suspension, which will result in temporary layoffs for 1,300 workers at the Detroit plant that builds the Volt, is another troubling sign for the plug-in hybrid, whose sales fell short of G.M.’s targets in 2011. G.M. officials had already backed away from projections that they could sell 45,000 Volts in the United States this year, instead saying that production would match demand.

...G.M. said it had about 3,600 Volts in inventory. Last year, officials repeatedly dismissed questions about low sales numbers by saying the company could not build enough of the cars to meet demand. It ended up selling 7,671 during the year, instead of the 10,000 it had anticipated.
And they were advertising the living hell out of it a few months ago.

Too expensive and inconvenient for mass market appeal.

And note what is selling...
2011 was the year of the pickup truck for the Detroit Three.

The No. 1 selling models for General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC were all pickups.

Through November (the most recent sales figures), Ford sold more than 516,000 F-Series trucks, GM sold about 367,500 Chevrolet Silverados and Chrysler sold nearly 220,000 Ram pickups.
GM sold nearly 48 Silverados for every Volt! They did sell 215,000 high-mpg Cruze's though. :)
 
Last edited:
Just goes to show the conspiracy to keep electric cars from being made is bogus. The documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car" did a good job of showing that the issue was complicated--there wasn't one single reason that electric cars weren't being made (in serious numbers). One of the reasons they discussed in the movie was that although there were a few people who were super enthusiastic about them, most consumers weren't very interested.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom