• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Things you believe in but still can't prove

DisordeR

Thinker
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
168
I like aliens and UFO's, admittedly lots are fakes but some real ones must be out there.

If you are going to use drakes equation or a similar idea, then there must be life somewhere. It can't be the case that in the whole of vast space we are unique and alone, there has to be some more like us.

So I believe in aliens, even though I have never seen an alien or a UFO. I still hope they will make themselves known.

What do you believe in? Or are you like, a nihilist or something hehe :blush:
 
I like aliens and UFO's, admittedly lots are fakes but some real ones must be out there.
There's no such thing as a fake UFO. If it's flying and it's unidentified (even if it becomes identified at a later date) then it's a UFO.

I think what you meant to say is "there must be some UFOs seen in our skies that are spaceships piloted by alien beings from others planets/galaxies/dimensions". If you did mean to say this, then I couldn't disagree with you more on this. :D

What do you believe in? Or are you like, a nihilist or something hehe
I believe in our capacity to shape our destiny and fulfil our dreams. Hard work, focus, the ability to not give up when it gets tough... I guess that means I believe in the greatness of humanity.
 
Last edited:

Why not?

There's no such thing as a fake UFO. If it's flying and it's unidentified (even if it becomes identified at a later date) then it's a UFO.

I think what you meant to say is "there must be some UFOs seen in our skies that are spaceships piloted by alien beings from others planets/galaxies/dimensions". If you did mean to say this, then I couldn't disagree with you more on this. :D

Um you know, I meant CGI ones or dustbin lids held by string. Semantics!
 
Last edited:
I like aliens and UFO's, admittedly lots are fakes but some real ones must be out there.

If you are going to use drakes equation or a similar idea, then there must be life somewhere. It can't be the case that in the whole of vast space we are unique and alone, there has to be some more like us.

So I believe in aliens, even though I have never seen an alien or a UFO. I still hope they will make themselves known.

You'll probably find the general consensus here is that everyone (who isn't religious) believes that statistically there must be some alien life of some sort somewhere in the Universe, however, theres no real credible evidence that they have ever been here or that they know we exist.

Space, kinda vast, spaceships, kinda slow
:D
 
Because you said there "must be real ones". Not necessarily, no.

Now, you mentioned aliens and UFOs. I've already stated that all UFOs are real, it's just that most are later identified as planets or weather balloons or aircraft etc.

Aliens? I agree that it's more likely that there's life elsewhere in the universe than not, maybe even in our solar system (under the ice of Europa). But the chances of that life being 'intelligent' and then capable of, and wanting to, travel to Earth.... boy that's slim indeed.
 
Last edited:
Because you said there "must be real ones". Not necessarily, no.

In addition to that:

If you are going to use drakes equation or a similar idea, then there must be life somewhere.

Again, no. If you use the Drake equation but set any of the variable to zero, then there doesn't have to be life anywhere. The Drake equation is merely an incomplete attempt at stating what we would need to find out in order to make an estimate at how much intelligent life there is. Since we have no idea of the values of most of the variables, it's simply impossible to use it to come up with a sensible estimate and all such games are actually pure guesswork. Even if that were not the case it could certainly never say that there must be life anywhere, it could only ever give a probability.
 
Not to mention Hoagland...

ETA: Oh, and Icke. Yes, Icke! He's the guy! The man with the plan!
 
Last edited:
I like aliens and UFO's, admittedly lots all are fakes but some and no real ones must be are out there.

If you are refering to UFOs being saceships piloted by non-human intelligent entities, then I fixed the sentence for you. You're welcome. :)

I too would LOVE for some to show up (assuming they are friendly). However, the best I think we'll do is get indirect eveidence of intelligent life out there. The physics and reality of interstellar travel makes the possibility very, very slim. Further reduced by the fact that there really is no reason for anyone to come to this planet. As has been said numerous times over, that 80 light year bubble of radio waves is bunk. Our own civilization is barely detectable by an Aericibo sized radio telescope located on Neptune. And we are becoming less detactable as time goes by because of going digital and utilizing things like fiber optics.

Another thing that I tend to believe without evidence (and then get let down a lot), is that humans are intelligent.
 
I like aliens and UFO's, admittedly lots are fakes but some real ones must be out there.

If you are going to use drakes equation or a similar idea, then there must be life somewhere. It can't be the case that in the whole of vast space we are unique and alone, there has to be some more like us.

So I believe in aliens, even though I have never seen an alien or a UFO. I still hope they will make themselves known.

What do you believe in? Or are you like, a nihilist or something hehe :blush:
I'm toying around with a pseudoscientific theory that ghosts are actually magnetised dust swirling around after they absorb DC current. Or is it AC?
 
I too would LOVE for some to show up (assuming they are friendly). .
lol, either way would be fine

:catfight:THERE ARE NO LAWS PROHIBITING A HUMAN FROM STOMPING ALIEN ASS :catfight:

on that level, they have less rights than mice

there's gonna be a party
:D

who's got the board with the nails in it ?

That I can meet someone with whom I can develop a relationship that will last more than a few months.

fundamentalist eh
:p
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom