• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Releasing the Osama kill photo

Should the photo(s) be released?

  • Yes

    Votes: 120 52.4%
  • No

    Votes: 79 34.5%
  • Not sure

    Votes: 30 13.1%

  • Total voters
    229
You don't get it... the conspiracy nutters think OBL never really existed, he was an actor working for the CIA making videos to fool the world into thinking all those bad things were done by some terrorist group rather than by the CIA/Mossad/Jews/New World Order/etc etc.

And photographs of OBL's corpse would do nothing to change that viewpoint.

But I can understand how some people would want to release the pics. Me, I'm ambivalent.
 
Why would the photo's have to be released? To convince the doubters and conspiracy believers that he really is dead? Nothing in the world can convince them of bin Laden's dead. In their world, if there is no evidence, it is either not true or covered up, and if there is evidence, it is faked. You can't win. I'm surprised the White House doesn't know this.


The kooks will believe anything but the truth every time, but releasing the photos would deprive them of the argument that "the photos were never released, therefore conspiracy".

Yeah, I know. They'll say the REAL photos were never released. You can't convince a kook, but maybe you can convince someone reading the kook's conspiracy theories.
 
The kooks will believe anything but the truth every time, but releasing the photos would deprive them of the argument that "the photos were never released, therefore conspiracy".

Beyond giving some people the jollies for seeing OBL with a big crater in the side of his skull, this is the only real good reason I can think of for releasing the photos.
 
The kooks will believe anything but the truth every time, but releasing the photos would deprive them of the argument that "the photos were never released, therefore conspiracy".

But like I said, I think a lot of the doubters in this case aren't your traditional tinfoil hatters, but more like teabaggers who've been stirred up by the ridiculous political climate to insta-doubt everything president Muslim McHusseinpants says.

My gut tells me that a lot of casual disbelievers would take the photo release as good enough evidence. Granted, we all know how much a gut feeling counts for on the JREF forum, so pass me the salt when you're all done with it.
 
No. It proves nothing and people only want it to get their pathetic morbid jollies from it, much like they do with any sensationalism or drama queen BS which is so popular in the "entertainment" fields now. Knowing he's dead is enough.
 
There we go. Why do you call that photo fake? And why would you believe the unreleased photo's are not fake?

That photo has been on the internet for at least 2 years. It was a known fake all along. Why anyone, especially some media outlets, ever used it, is beyond me.

This is the photo used to create the fake death photo. It was flipped and merged with another photo, and done very badly.

Osama-Bin-Laden.jpg
 
As I said on another thread, it really comes down to whether it would be better for the US to demoralize mainstreet Islamofascists by proving Osama is dead with pictures (or even better, video) of his body, as well as an independent corroboration that the DNA of the man they killed was bin Laden (surely after all the talk in the Obama Whitehouse about terrorists having rights they remembered to bring a couple FBI agents on this raid with instructions to Mirandize any captives and protect the chain of custody of any *evidence* that was gathered so they could be tried?) or let mainstreet Islamofascists continue to claim Osama is alive and thus use that to gather followers? In this case, I think doubt works in favor of the islamofascists, so I say they should post everything they have that proves Obama is dead. And to quell any criticism of his body's treatment afterwords (personally, I think they were too nice), they should post the video of his *funeral rights* at sea.
 
I want to see his body.

No. It proves nothing and people only want it to get their pathetic morbid jollies from it, much like they do with any sensationalism or drama queen BS which is so popular in the "entertainment" fields now. Knowing he's dead is enough.
Considering that we watched the Twin Towers fall and a lot of us saw innocent people jumping to their deaths from the burning buildings, and for years watched Bin Laden taunt us in video tapes, I don't see what's pathetic to want the final tape/image to be the taunter/perpetrator also dead.

Be careful with the name-calling.
 
Considering that we watched the Twin Towers fall and a lot of us saw innocent people jumping to their deaths from the burning buildings, and for years watched Bin Laden taunt us in video tapes, I don't see what's pathetic to want the final tape/image to be the taunter/perpetrator also dead.

I agree 100%.
 
As I said on another thread, it really comes down to whether it would be better for the US to demoralize mainstreet Islamofascists by proving Osama is dead with pictures (or even better, video) of his body, as well as an independent corroboration that the DNA of the man they killed was bin Laden (surely after all the talk in the Obama Whitehouse about terrorists having rights they remembered to bring a couple FBI agents on this raid with instructions to Mirandize any captives and protect the chain of custody of any *evidence* that was gathered so they could be tried?) or let mainstreet Islamofascists continue to claim Osama is alive and thus use that to gather followers? In this case, I think doubt works in favor of the islamofascists, so I say they should post everything they have that proves Obama is dead. And to quell any criticism of his body's treatment afterwords (personally, I think they were too nice), they should post the video of his *funeral rights* at sea.
well, some people have certain ingrained beliefs....like yourself, no amount of evidence is going to convince them of Osamas death. I really don't see the point of knocking yourself out going to idiot extremes when you are not going to satisfy everyone. Reasonable people know Osama is dead.

ok you can go back to talking up percieved errors in Obamas handling of this....He's actually done/doing a pretty good job of this whole thing...you do understand that don't you?
 
Oh, and let me add also. If you don't want to see the picture, don't look at it. If the photo is released, no one is going to force you to look at it. By them releasing the photo, you can make your own choice about whether to see it, and let the rest of us who are intelligent adults make ours.
 
I'd like to see the pics out of curiosity, but I'd hate to see one on tee shirts or posters or web pages with "Avenge Our Martyr" across the image.
 
well, some people have certain ingrained beliefs....like yourself, no amount of evidence is going to convince them of Osamas death.

What's your problem? I didn't once suggest or imply that Osama is not dead. I made a quite reasonable assertion ... that demoralizing the enemy might be better than allowing a "myth" that bin Laden is still alive to take root and grow. If you want to debate THAT, fine, but don't go throwing out strawmen and try to debate them.

I really don't see the point of knocking yourself out going to idiot extremes when you are not going to satisfy everyone. Reasonable people know Osama is dead.

But why leave it to chance? Even if it's only a couple percent of the population that posting photos and video showing Osama dead convinces, that's still worth doing. And all this concern about *inflaming* the islamic world by posting images of his body is what is idiotic. The people who would be inflamed are already our enemies. Best we expose them now, then let them go under the radar and surface sometime later in a more serious and damaging way. Besides, showing how irrational our enemies are is actually a good thing. It will help convince the rest of the world of our cause.

ok you can go back to talking up percieved errors in Obamas handling of this

For crying out loud ... what's your problem? I didn't suggest that Obama made any errors in his handling of this. So don't be so sensitive. There's more than enough legitimate reasons to complain about him. But this isn't one of them. Just be happy that this time he did the right thing. :rolleyes:
 
I'd like to see the pics out of curiosity, but I'd hate to see one on tee shirts or posters or web pages with "Avenge Our Martyr" across the image.

There's already a thriving business doing that. They didn't need the authentic photo to do it. They just used the bogus one that's already out there.
 
It's really amazing to me how different I think than most people. The burden shouldn't be on those who think the photos should be released to prove that they should be released. That should be the default stance with any and all information, that it's released. The only reasonable stance to take is that all government information should automatically be assumed to be released unless there is a compelling national security reason to keep it secret. This goes for pretty much every piece of information that the government has access to. The burden should be on those who want to keep it secret to have very good reasons to keep it from the rest of the people. Now, military operational security *is* a good reason to keep stuff secret. However, this operation is now over and I see no compelling reason to not release them. Being uncomfortable about the picture or thinking it's "insulting to the dead" or that it will piss people off is *not* a good reason. Nobody has a right to not feel uncomfortable. You could use those same reasons to do things like restrict free speech as some countries do (and I disagree with their reasoning).

Bottom line for me is that my taxes partially paid for this operation and I damn well expect to see the results unless the government has a very compelling reason to keep them secret. Way way too much information is already inaccessible to the public for no reason. Where is the governmental openness that Obama proclaimed he would bring about? I would think he would be the first guy to say "Man these are ugly pictures but I promised to be open". Gimme a break.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom