I have actually not had as much exposure to rednecks as you would think.
I think at this point it is necessary to ask how exactly you go bout identifying a redneck...
For example in Kentucky, I lived in Lexington for over 4 years. The amounts of rednecks there was minimal, seeing as how it is a fairly good sized city with a very large university in the middle of it. Lots of liberal folks, and a good number of gays actually. They were pretty easy to pick out, as I have already established.
Now you're just playing silly buggers with my blood pressure, right?
Yes, some gay people are easy to pick out. You might still be wrong about some of the people you think are gay. But more importantly: You will miss a lot of gay people and think they are straight.
Then also, I lived in Portland, Oregon for 12 years. I would say that is definitely far from a redneck city. In fact, it is comprised of mostly hippies. Now, I will give you guys Utah. I lived there for 8 years and gays there were pretty scarce, as you can imagine.
No, I cannot imagine that!
What I can imagine is that people there would go to quite some lengths to hide their homosexuality, though. But assuming that a more or less fixed percentage of people just gets born gay (or ends up gay independent of social or other controllable factors, if you prefer), then the rate of gays in Utah would not be much different from everywhere else. (Slightly lower if gays decided to leave there given the chance.)
They were not non existent though, and you could definitely pick them out.
No! You could pick out *some* of them. But you have no reason to assume that those are somehow representative of the whole group of gays in the area.
You're displaying a mix of
Affirming the Consequent and
Denying the Antecedent.
Let's grant you that if a person acts camp, they are gay.
It doesn't follow that someone not acting camp is not gay.
Let's grant you that if a person is straight, they will 'act' straight.
It doesn't follow that someone who acts straight is straight.
With Texas and Georgia, I don't recall seeing any gays when I was living there. Granted I was on military bases, and there are few gays in the military from my experience.
No. You certainly saw tons of gay men. You just didn't' recognize them as being gay. They were still there. Even on the military bases.